lifeflight/air med-vac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifeflight/air med-vac

just wonderin, how many of yall assist on life flight or some fom of air med-vac. we have a landin field less than half a mile from the station so we're there evrytime!

Like omg omg !!!!!!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

We land the helicopter anywhere we can. Most of the time is on the major highway that runs throught our town.

Comment

we dont have one

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
          Like omg omg !!!!!!

My thoughts exactly.

We do not land the medical helicopter on calls, but we have at drills and other functions. We also land it anywhere we can; parking lots, interstates (if its already shut down for an MVA), sports fields, etc.
          ------------------------------------
          These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

we have pre detirmine dsposts throgught our coverage area, I thinks theres like 10

Comment

Originally posted by jrfirefighter23 View Post
              we have pre detirmine dsposts throgught our coverage area, I thinks theres like 10
              I think that translated roughly into:

"Our agency has pre-determined landing zones within our area of coverage. I cannot recall for sure, but I think there approximately ten of them."

Someone double-check my translation, please.
              You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
              IACOJ Power Company Liason
              When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
              and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Med-evac in the hizzzz-ouse!

Comment

Originally posted by jrfirefighter23 View Post
                  These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

It is a helicopter it can land just about anywhere and hover. Which is why I think they should incorperate hoists into medivac helis like the Coast Guards. That way you don't need to land. Though hovering is a pain in the as$.
                    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
                    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
                    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Originally posted by Catch22
                    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
                    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Comment

Originally posted by t0asty View Post
                      It is a helicopter it can land just about anywhere and hover. Which is why I think they should incorperate hoists into medivac helis like the Coast Guards. That way you don't need to land. Though hovering is a pain in the as$.
                      *LOL* And I suppose you speak from experience on that last sentence? Perhaps as an Army or Coast Guard Rotary Wing Aviator?

I didn't think so either.

The military has specialized equipment and tactics because of the unique tactical nature of military CASEVAC ops (also: MEDEVAC refers to non-traumatic aeromedical operations, CASEVAC refers to traumatic casualty evacuation).
                      The USCG and USN (I'm guessin you just saw The Guardian) have and use hoists and rescue swimmers simply because helicopters can't "land" on water (excepting certain ones--I believe the old SH-3 Sea Kings could do a reasonably good imitation of "landing" on water...I doubt an SH/MH-60 SeaHawk/PaveHawk could, though), therefore the only way to extract someone from the ocean is via dropping a line and hoisting them from the sea.

Likewise in the thick jungle, a special, weighted rescue rig was dropped from above treetop level to extract downed pilots, since the helo couldn't land through the trees.

For flatland operation, the preferred method is the usual one: land the helo on the ground and load the patient. This method is even preferred by the military... Army Air Ambulance Companies and Air Force Rescue Wings use it for flatland ops as well.

Don't make things more complicated than they need to be.
                      My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

Our choppers will land anywhere, fields, roads, parking lots. If its clear, they will land in it. And yeah, the department "helps" them land, ussually by designating an LZ with strobes.

And calm down, landing a chopper is just not that exciting, unless you lose your Lid like i almost did once.
                        Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
                        (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by t0asty View Post
                          The enlightened one speaks....

Comment

HAHA

BTW, some medevac choppers DO have winches on them.

Comment

I like helicopters myself. But please keep in mind that life flights, more than anything else we do in the fire service, even dwelling fires, mean that someone is having the worst day of their life.

So keeping a lid on your enthusiasm would be a good thing.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X