Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jrscvfs, I bow to your superior certifications. I was always taught not to debate with people not willing to even remotely consider that their point of view might have flaws in it.

Do a search and see how many children and young adults (under the age of 18) have been killed or injured going to or at firegrounds.

"Those who refuse to learn from history, are condemmed to repeat it."
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

Very true Doc.....you know jrscvfs...if you are a certified FF1 and FF2...really why are you still a jr FF then...why not just be a volunteer then with the dept?

I understand things are different everywhere...but the common thread is it is not natural or really even necessary for any jr type of FF to use a POV. If the regular FF can't handle their own cleanup they should not be FF...no need to wait for a jr FF to get there to do that.

You want to be involved..fine..do it in training or stay at a station...don't risk it taking a POV to a scene. You say you can handle it and you drive in speed limit and laws...fine, great even, I commend you...however not everyone will. One of your fellow jr FF's may be the statistic Doc was referring to. And really...if you take your POV only if your not at the station...then is it really necessary to go at all? There are many volunteer depts that even if the volly doesn't make it before a rig rolls, they don't go to the scene. They staff the station in case another call comes in.
      The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

POV and traffic control aside. I believe explorers (being one) (or juniors) are not vital to departments or stations but it is a good way to give us a better chance of becoming firefighters. Yes the FF can load their own hose but why not let an explorer load hose with them. He or she is not going to be there every fire.. Anyways would you rather have an explorer running the hose line well you and another FF get the monitor off the truck. They can just be one extra hand to help out. Other wise there is no reason for an explorer program. all they will get to do by your rules is scrub the dishes at the station.

Not sure how coherent this is but time to sleep.
        "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
        For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
        Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Originally posted by Catch22
        It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
        "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Comment

Toasty...I couldn't agree with you more...being a jr FF or Explorer is a great way to learn the job. I started as an Explorer and now I'm an advisor. I'm all for Explorers or jrFF helping with cleanup and such on the fireground....I'm just saying don't take your POV to the scene to do it. If you ride along on the rig, then fine...help out where you can. These programs are an excellent way for younger folks to know the job and see if it is a career path they want to take.

You just don't need to take a POV to a scene...and you are very limited on what you can do. A dept should not utilize an Explorer or jrFF in a task which a certified FF should be.
          The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

I don't think explorers should take pov's to the scene either. The way my post works is that you ride with the station all day (or as long as you can). so you are at the station if you are not on a call. It works for us. (note: I have not ridden along yet I just know how my department works. (how? by asking the others in my post)).
            "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
            For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
            Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Originally posted by Catch22
            It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
            "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Comment

ok, first, i wasnt tryin to show off my certs, someone asked and i answered. second, man, didnt know it was such an official rule not to drive a pov to a scene. u know, the fire dept is undermanned her as it is, and ur sayin that if a ff, misses the rig, they should stay, and make no attempt to respond?

Comment

Originally posted by jrscvfs View Post
                ok, first, i wasnt tryin to show off my certs, someone asked and i answered. second, man, didnt know it was such an official rule not to drive a pov to a scene. u know, the fire dept is undermanned her as it is, and ur sayin that if a ff, misses the rig, they should stay, and make no attempt to respond?
                For some depts, driving POV to scene is the normal means of transportation as they only have 1 or 2 trucks that seat 2 people each. But what people are saying is, why does a jr. need to drive pov to scene. If you missed the truck, so be it, the fire will eventually go out, the pt. will eventually somehow have their problem resolved, the world will go round, and the sun will still shine.
                ------------------------------------
                These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Well said RFRD!!

Explorers, cadets and jr FF are great programs to learn from. I applaude each one of you showing a commitment to the fire service and wish you all the best of luck in your future careers.

The only thing we want to see is that you guys do this stuff safely...ride outs, training, and so on. I know a lot of you can't wait to get on the job, but that is what you have to do. Even if your dept is understaffed, they should not rely on a jr FF, Explorer, or cadet to do the job of a FF. That is why there is mutual aid.

And to Toasty...No...if a FF misses a rig they should go to their dept protocol, whatever it may be, stay at the station, take a second rig, or a POV. RFRD hit it on the head with his comments.

Comment

oops...sorry Toasty on the last post....I meant that to jrscvfs, that if a FF misses a rig, they go to their protocol, if it means to take a POV...fine.

Now it could be possible for you as a jr FF to ride to the scene with a FF in their POV....that could be considered a ride along and within the realms of jr FF, Explorer and so forth. Just don't drive your own please.

Comment

first, thanks for all the advice, seriously. and the suggestions, i wil not toss them out i will take all the advice i can get, i understand where your coming from(safety i do believe) and greatly appreciacte it. just to verify, yes our station has 2 rigs, 1 engine, 1 pumper, and yes they only seat two, even the engine. and yes, at other departments in the county, most do drive to the scene in povs, but i see what your sayin about jrs and povs.

Comment

I just wanted to commend you guys on the past few posts, especially RFRD and jrscvfs. You did show some good maturity there for your age and I think things went well. Jrscvfs...I know it is easy to feel like you are being attacked and it is easy to start name calling or making assumptions of others. Also it is easy to feel like you contribute more on scenes that what is actually possible, but you listened to the advice, you didn't just leave, and above all there was no disrespect for others. Outstanding!! It would be nice if some of the adults would take an example of how this worked out. It is easy to get defensive...but takes a bigger person to see their faults.

Comment

Originally posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
                          Jrscvfs...I know it is easy to feel like you are being attacked and it is easy to start name calling or making assumptions of others. Also it is easy to feel like you contribute more on scenes that what is actually possible, but you listened to the advice, you didn't just leave, and above all there was no disrespect for others. Outstanding!! It would be nice if some of the adults would take an example of how this worked out. It is easy to get defensive...but takes a bigger person to see their faults.
                          I could not agree more. You were open to others opinion without getting defensive and hating the world. Glad to have you here.
                          These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X