Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 2 questions, do you take your scanner / radio to meetings? Also, do you take flashlight? I wish i had one when we did that drill. Would you reccommend on what to take at all?

Comment

I recommend that you get a flashlight. I use this little bugger Garrity Life Lite Disposable Flashlight. I found it at my grocery store (probably because that is where my local station dose all their shopping ) It works well and a flash light is helpful. Besides that though just try to find some hose straps in the donated bunkers. That is where I found all my extra gear (chalks, hose straps, the elastic band that goes around my helmet)
      "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
      For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
      Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Originally posted by Catch22
      It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
      "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Comment

Also, i am a boy scout, so i am already registered with BSA. I was told there is a patch to wear on my BS uniform saying FD explorer or something. Is this true?

Comment

I'm an Explorer w/LA County and each post decides when to supply gear to their explorers. My post issues turnouts and accessories before attending the Academy. We get our helmet at Academy. Also, we aren't allowed on ride-alongs until we pass the Tower and it is up to the Captain on our ride-alongs how much we participate on a call.

Comment

Originally posted by perez51 View Post
            what in the hell is the HIPAA lmao...apparently they dnt *** wit my dept...tht i kno of
            First of all, please post in American, not gibberish.

Secondly, HIPAA is not a government agency, it is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Taken from wikipedia:

According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' (CMS) website, Title I of HIPAA protects health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs.

Title II of HIPAA, the Administrative Simplification (AS) provisions, requires the establishment of national standards for electronic health care transactions and national identifiers for providers, health insurance plans, and employers.

The AS provisions also address the security and privacy of health data. The standards are meant to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the nation's health care system by encouraging the widespread use of electronic data interchange in the US health care system.

From http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/ems/system/HIPAA.htm :
            What is "protected health information" under HIPAA?

Health information is any information created or received by a health care provider which relates to:

past, present or future physical or mental health or condition
            provision of health care, or
            past, present or future payment for health care.
            Some of this health information is individually identifiable health information, if it is also:

individually identifiable, or
            there is a reasonable basis to believe the information can be used to identify the individual
            Protected health information is individually identifiable health information that is:

transmitted by electronic media,
            maintained in any electronic medium, or
            transmitted or maintained in any other form or medium.
            A covered entity may use or disclose protected health information for its own treatment, payment, or health care operations.

What new privacy requirements does HIPAA impose on ambulance service providers?

These are the requirements that are most relevant to ambulance service providers. For more detail, see the HHS Fact Sheet or the complete Privacy Rule.

A covered provider must provide patients with notice of their privacy rights and its privacy practices, but need not obtain prior consent that would inhibit patient access to health care.
            Patients must grant permission in advance for each type of non-routine use or disclosure, but providers may use one form for all of them.
            A covered entity must obtain prior written authorization to use protected health information for marketing purposes.
            Only the minimum necessary protected health information may be disclosed without authorization.
            A covered entity must account for disclosures of protected health information in the six years prior to the individual’s request, with some exceptions, such as individual authorization.
            An individual may request restriction of use and disclosure of protected health information.
            Administratively, a covered entity must implement administrative, technical and physical safeguards:
            It must implement policies and procedures to comply with HIPAA, document all policies and procedures, written communications, required actions, and personnel designations, and maintain them for six years.
            It must train its workforce, provide a complaint process, apply workforce sanctions for violations, mitigate harmful effects of improper use & disclosure, not retaliate, not require rights waived, designate a privacy official and contact person, and establish permitted uses and disclosures for its business associates.
            What disclosures does HIPAA allow?

Covered entities may disclose protected health information for treatment, payment, and certain health care operations of another covered entity.
            When legal ownership of a covered entity changes, protected health information may be disclosed to the new covered entity, with appropriate care.
            A covered entity may disclose protected health information to the FDA, about FDA-regulated products.
            Incidental uses or disclosures are not considered a violation of the Rule if the covered entity has met reasonable safeguards and minimum requirements.
            Covered providers have up to an additional year to bring business associate contracts into compliance with the requirements, and HHS has provided sample contract provisions.

What are the exceptions to the Privacy Rule?

The following disclosures do not need an individual’s permission:

Disclosures that are required by law
            Disclosures related to public health
            Disclosures for health oversight activities
            Disclosures for specialized government functions
            Reports to government agencies of abuse, neglect or domestic violence
            Disclosures made to law enforcement
            Disclosures made for judicial and administrative proceedings
            Disclosures made to avert imminent threat to health or safety of a person or public
            Disclosures for Worker’s Compensation
            Disclosures for organ donation or transplantation
            Disclosures to coroners and medical examiners

There is more as well.

Try a search here if you want to as well.
            ------------------------------------
            These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by AFDExplorer View Post
              Also, i am a boy scout, so i am already registered with BSA. I was told there is a patch to wear on my BS uniform saying FD explorer or something. Is this true?
              I am also a Boy Scout, but I have never heard of a fire service explorer patch to be worn on the official BSA uniform. Doesn't mean that its not out there, but I've just never seen or heard of it...... maybe it is just a particular council's rules.
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by AFDExplorer View Post
                I have 2 questions, do you take your scanner / radio to meetings? Also, do you take flashlight? I wish i had one when we did that drill. Would you reccommend on what to take at all?
                If anyone on my post brought a scanner to a meeting, they would NEVER hear the end of it. I usually have my pager with me anyways (except when I'm at school or nowhere near the city). I've got a flashlight strapped to my gear thats always there. Your FD should have some flashlights on the truck, why didn't you grab one of those? Everytime you do a drill, get in the habit of grabbing a tool (or two) and a light.

Comment

what is hippa or whatever, here jrs can ride along, as long as they get to the station in time, if u dont u have to drive ur pov

Comment

Originally posted by jrscvfs View Post
                    what is hippa or whatever, here jrs can ride along, as long as they get to the station in time, if u dont u have to drive ur pov
                    See above.

Your explorers drive POV to scene?

Comment

yes, and jrs are even encouraged to have thier drivers license, but if your drivers license has restrictions(ie you cant drive between 11pm and 6am) you tell ur capt. and they will probly wait for you as long as u dont take your precious time.

Comment

Wha...wha...wha...WHAT!?!?!

Comment

!? I.... I don't get it.....? A fire station waiting for an explorer well someone could be dieing? I could understand if it was the Explorers truck but other then that.... How odd (I would use the original word but would get some flak).
                          "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
                          For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
                          Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Originally posted by Catch22
                          It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
                          "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Comment

Originally posted by the1141man View Post
                            Well, if the department bills patients for providing service, I suppose that would be true.
                            However, most FDs don't bill for medical-aid calls, therefore they would not be subject to HIPAA.
                            Whether or not the fire department bills for its' services has absolutely no bearing on HIPAA regulations. From our standpoint, HIPAA has a great deal to do with protecting the privacy of the patient. You are not allowed to share information about a patient unless A) you have the patient's permission, or B) it is shared with another health care provider relevant to the patient's care (or the provider's safety). Whether you are billing them has zip to do with it.

I would think that this is why AFDExplorer's post would not allow ride-alongs until after HIPAA training...you go on a ride-along (medical) you are going to see patients and you are going to know about their medical conditions, health history, injuries, etc. Explorers (and firefighters/First Responders too) need to have a clear understanding of what information is OK to share and what is not.
                            Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                            Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                            Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                            — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

jrscvsf....what kind of post do you belong to? And why would a fire dept wait for an Explorer to show up for a call if they can leave? And what would you as an Explorer be doing on a scene if you drove your POV?

No reason at all for an Explorer to drive to the scene in a POV...What are you going to do? Then I can just imagine a 16, 17 year old driving to an emergency scene...adrenelin pumping want to get there quick....Sorry...You are a liability and an accident waiting to happen. Too bad your dept won't say it. And even if you are a jr FF...really what are you going to do at a scene? Is your dept hurting that bad?
                              The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
                                jrscvsf....what kind of post do you belong to? And why would a fire dept wait for an Explorer to show up for a call if they can leave? And what would you as an Explorer be doing on a scene if you drove your POV?

No reason at all for an Explorer to drive to the scene in a POV...What are you going to do? Then I can just imagine a 16, 17 year old driving to an emergency scene...adrenelin pumping want to get there quick....Sorry...You are a liability and an accident waiting to happen. Too bad your dept won't say it. And even if you are a jr FF...really what are you going to do at a scene? Is your dept hurting that bad?
                                Basically what I was thinking.

Also, do you have lights in your POV (sorry to open this can of worms guys!)

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X