Promotions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotions

Hey just curious around you're departments how do you move up ranks in the explorers/juniors? are their test or time or what???

Thanks

Our ranks are set up as follows:

1- Captain (Highest Ranking Explorer)
    2- Lieutenants (soon to be 3)

To be promoted, the candidate must be off of probation for over a year, submit a resume, submit a letter of intent, go through an oral interview with the advisors, and then be selected. It is not always the explorer with the most time in, but the most knowledgable people are the ones who are promoted. Each explorer can only run for an officer's position twice, and they will serve that position for roughly 18 mos. Then at that time they must go through the process again. Each explorer just runs for "an officers position", no particular position such as Johnny is going for Capt. and Billy is going for Lt.

Any other questions? I'd be glad to help.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

A lilttle confusing...

Our explorers work something like our department...

1-Explorer Chief Highest scoring on our physical and written promo test...

3- Battalion Chiefs Second highest ranking Explorer (Bat-1), then top ranked Probationary(has gear but not FireFighter 1 cert.)(Bat-2), then the highest ranking alternate(new, does not have gear)(Bat-3)

Then the battalions are seperated into companies with captians leading each company.

Every year we take promotional test which consists of the Fire Fighter 1 manipulative test and a written test those are averaged and the ranks are above...I will gladly clarify if needed...
      Last edited by LVFRExplorer9; 01-05-2007, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I forgot to mention that we are also divided into companies each with our post number. (i.e.- Engine Co. 790, Truck Co. 790, Rescue Co. 790)

Our Lt's are the Engine Co. officers and I (I am the captain) am the Rescue Co. officer.

We split into these companies during training and drills and the advisors will give me information, that I pass onto the company officers, who then pass it on to their company members. (e.g.- drill changes, schedule changes, details, etc.)

These companies have nothing to do with operations at a drill or training session however. (The different companies will switch jobs, I usually end up sticking with the rescue truck though. The advisors gave me the rescue co. because they know I've been around rescue all my life, and it what I want to specalize in.)
        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

When i was an explorer our ranking system was that each member cast a vote to nominate a member for a certain position then the advisors would either approve or decline the person, then the approved nominees would be voted on again and then the one with the most votes won.

Our ranks were as follows:
          1-Chief
          1-Asst. Chief (which i eventually became before becoming a reg ff/emt)
          1-Captain

Us officers would assign exp to one of four trucks and would vote on budget items and proposed events and schedule trainings and generally keep up with admin stuff, we also got preference for a slot on the truck over the other explorers for calls, but FF's had preference over us obviously.
          FireFighter/EMT
          Rescue 1

IACOJ
          FTM-PTB

Comment

RE:Promotions

Hey thanks guys I really aprreciate this info...

Comment

well. along time ago when I started out, it use to be having this;

AWHILE Back;

1 captain
              2 LT's.
              && The explorers were slit into groups..

then we had;
              1 captain
              1 LT, because there weren't any more people left who were intrested..

NOW we have;
              1 captain
              3 LT's, with 3 explorers to each LT.

theres no specific process you have to go through to become LT, i believe there should be in my group, because we have a bunch of "17/18 y/o know it alls" when meanwhile they dont know a dam thing on the truck. So, it pretty much goes by seniorarity.
              Station 4-5-2
              Paradise Pennsylvania.
              Firefighter/EMT

Comment

In my program we don't have official ranks, the maximum number at any given time is 5 Juniors, and right now we only have two. So, it doesn't really make sense to have official ranking such as LT, Captian, etc... within the Junior program itself. Instead we have different levels (level 1, level 2, etc...), depending on your skills, certifications, experience, time on the department, age, etc... With the different levels comes more responsibilty and privileges on what you are allowed to do at trainings and on incidents.
                American by Birth, Firefighter/EMS Provider by the grace of God!

These are my personal views/opinions and do not necessarily reflect that of my department.

Comment

My company is a lot differnt when it comes to juniors...Here at 16 you can become a junior, and are pretty much treated the same as you would be as a regular volunteer. You can take essentials at 16 along with EMT-B(which my station requires to go on any runs), and you are treated pretty much the same as you would be if you were 18+. The only differnce is we can't respond during school hours, and must be out of the firehouse by 10:00...Other than that everythings pretty much the same.

As for ranks, we have no ranks. 4 juniors, all juniors

Comment

Originally posted by FireDemon618 View Post
                    Hey just curious around you're departments how do you move up ranks in the explorers/juniors? are their test or time or what???

Thanks
                    At our post we have resume and interviews at the end of the year o pick new ranks and a minumim of 6 months in the post.
                    -dusty55

Comment

Each October (1st meeting) we hold nominations for every position. President, Secretary, Treasurer, Chief, Captain, and Lieutenant. Then at the 2nd meeting, we vote. It's not the best and i'm personally not that thrilled with it. However, I haven't said anything about reforming the process.
                      Kyle
                      Bedford Fire/Rescue Explorer Post #547
                      -Post Cheif
                      -Treasurer
                      -Mock Disaster Site Planner & Event Coordinator

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse