Whats your favorite tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    I tend to agree with you as in I don't understand the point of asking what a favorite tool is, but I don't understand how you can be telling anyone what they should do or shouldnt do.

Just remember that people do things differently everwhere, and what works for one person, might not work for another.

Stay Safe.
    Thnx RFRDxplorer for clearing that 1 up. I I just thought i would make a 1st thread a good one i didnt mean for a bunch of fuss to go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Mihlrad View Post
      I dont wanna start a fight or anything... but a junior shouldnt be telling a firefighter to learn to do their job... if a junior EVER said that around our house, they are getting a swirly or something they dont want done.
      ok then if your a firefighter why are you posting in a jr FF/ explorer forum to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by FLexplorer305 View Post
        My favorite tool of the engine would be the jaws, there the best. I mean it spreads, and it tears.its pure muscle they never give up.
        True...unless your power unit stops working (ie--runs outta gas). Then you've got a nice 45-60 lb hunk of metal.

In all honesty now that i think about it... my favorite tool is my hands and head... You cant do anything productively in the fire service without either...
        BING! Steel on target. Men've been doing this job for ages without the benefit of 1250 GPM pumpers, hydraulic tools, or even Halligans... the common denominator: a little knowledge and a lot of common sense.

*LOL* And Junior (jr23) goes from wisdom:
        we're juniors and we are juniors for one reason and one reason only to learn, not talk about our favorite tool.
        ...to a ballsy, but pointless and dare I say, completely ignorant show of bravado:
        ok then if your a firefighter why are you posting in a jr FF/ explorer forum to begin with
        ...in a single post. Amazing.

How about Firefighters (and Officers) post in the Junior forum to share some knowledge and insight? Something you yourself say you're here for.

Smokeeater is a FF, doughesson's a FF, I'm a FF...if you want to sling crap, why don't you sling it at all of us, sparky?

I'll be waiting for the retraction post for your little temper-tantrum.
        My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

Originally posted by the1141man View Post
          Smokeeater is a FF, doughesson's a FF, I'm a FF...if you want to sling crap, why don't you sling it at all of us, sparky?

I'll be waiting for the retraction post for your little temper-tantrum.
          ok I said that totally worng it meant to say: I never directed it at ANY firefighter, because this is a junior/expoler forum so really, MOST of the people here are juniors/Explorers, it was meant for them, not FF of Officers

And I feel it is stupid to be talking about what your favorite tool is, or yuor favorite apparatus, or helmet because you've only been doing this for a few years (depending on when you joined your explorer post/ Jr program), so really you haven't really gotten to see what most tools can do unless your post or jr program is going against state/federal law and aloowing underage kids to use jaws, work in an envirnment and that such, and if this isn't true and you are following state/federal regualtion then you would just be watching am a correct on this, if not please correct, me because its different depending on where you live.
          Last edited by jrfirefighter23; 01-03-2007, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfirefighter23 View Post
            I am a Jr. Firefighter in the Northeast, you guys need to stop talking about your favorite tools, favorite apparatus and learn the job first and what it takes to be a firefighter, trust me I learned that the hard way, we're juniors and we are juniors for one reason and one reason only to learn, not talk about our favorite tool.
            Im a ex-junior from the northeast, just became a full member in November after almost 2 years. Instead of attacking this thread, that people obviously enjoy, as they are posting in it, why dont you go start or revive a thread that you think is important?

I was a junior for more than one reason. To learn, to gain experience, to help out where i could, and to have fun. Ive done all that, plus gained a number of good freinds. And as a regular firefighter, i still like to talk about tools and apparatus. (BTW, my favorite apparatus is the lime green, 1973 Imperial Pumper with a Waterous Pump that we have at the station.)

And so really you haven't really gotten to see what most tools can do unless your post or jr program is going against state/federal law and aloowing underage kids to use jaws,
            And yes, i did use these tools as a junior, in both trainning and at incidents, because my volunteer company needs firefighters during the day, as we have staffing problems, like lots of other departments. They need firefighters on those trucks, whether they are juniors or regular members.

Not all junior/ explorer programs are run the same, in fact almost every single one is different.

Also, dont assume there are only juniors in here, alot of the regular firefighters and officers stop by, more than you think probably.
            Last edited by tbonetrexler; 01-03-2007, 02:31 PM.
            Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
            (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by tbonetrexler View Post
              Im a ex-junior from the northeast, just became a full member in November after almost 2 years. Instead of attacking this thread, that people obviously enjoy, as they are posting in it, why dont you go start or revive a thread that you think is important?

I was a junior for more than one reason. To learn, to gain experience, to help out where i could, and to have fun. Ive done all that, plus gained a number of good freinds. And as a regular firefighter, i still like to talk about tools and apparatus. (BTW, my favorite apparatus is the lime green, 1973 Imperial Pumper with a Waterous Pump that we have at the station.)

And yes, i did use these tools as a junior, in both trainning and at incidents, because my volunteer company needs firefighters during the day, as we have staffing problems, like lots of other departments. They need firefighters on those trucks, whether they are juniors or regular members.

Not all junior/ explorer programs are run the same, in fact almost every single one is different.

Also, dont assume there are only juniors in here, alot of the regular firefighters and officers stop by, more than you think probably.
              Tbone....
              I think one of the points Jr23 is trying to make is anyone under 18 is not allowed under federal law (Child labor) to undertake any job that is a possible health or life safety threat. So cut the guy a little slack. We all know vollie depts., are sometimes short staffed during the day. (I know mine is!). But, it still doesn't allow you to put underage people in harms way.
              http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/index.htm
              "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
              - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Comment

After skimming through a few of these posts...people's favorite "tool" should be Webster's Dictionary. Spelling can be your friend.

The "lump" above your shoulders is your most valuable tool, but that does not make it everyone's favorite. An engine man's favorite tool is his nozzle. Spreaders, hooks, Haligans, fans, etc...NONE of that puts the fire out. A well trained nozzleman does that.
                "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by tbonetrexler View Post

hahaha..............THERE YOU GO!

Just remember that you never know who knows who or who is on these forums. Some of the people on here remember when someone got on here and for lack of better words made an *** of himself and his dept. and lo and behold, an officer from his dept. just happened to be a member here, and the dept. didn't like it too much.

Stay Safe.
                  ------------------------------------
                  These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfirefighter23 View Post
                    Ok now jrfirefighter23, Where in this entire thread did i say i was a FF. Im no FF, im a 4th yr explorer that just got done with an extrication drill to start out the new year and was amazed wth the jaws.

Comment

Originally posted by dusty55 View Post
                      Ok now jrfirefighter23, Where in this entire thread did i say i was a FF. Im no FF, im a 4th yr explorer that just got done with an extrication drill to start out the new year and was amazed wth the jaws.
                      Dusty,

You got an email address?
                      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
                        Dusty,

You got an email address?
                        Did you get it??

Comment

Originally posted by dusty55 View Post
                          Did you get it??
                          You've got mail!

Comment

Favorite Tool

I agre that we should be learning the jobs but I also agree that knowing the tools of the trade will help us better learn the job.

I am a 2 year Explorer about to start standards in a few days and as a future truckie I must say that your brain is a valuble tool but my favorite for force is a halligan!

Comment

Originally posted by FireDemon618 View Post
                              I agre that we should be learning the jobs but I also agree that knowing the tools of the trade will help us better learn the job.

I am a 2 year Explorer about to start standards in a few days and as a future truckie I must say that your brain is a valuble tool but my favorite for force is a halligan!
                              agreed with but I still think that Jrs and expoleres shouldn't worry about what tool they like the best because to me it doesn't matter if it gets the job done, then im goin use it.

Comment

re:hey

I'm glad ur becoming more understanding, "I" figure that when a person begins to use all these tool in training they tend to find one that suites them and they just find it a personal favorite like a favorite food or color...By NO means am "I" saying they should spend their time searching for their favorite, but if they find it or know it why not write about it????

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X