Denver Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Drill

Has anyone ever successfully completed the Denver Drill?

I just had my first encounter with it today. I didn't expect that it required a LITTLE bit of thinking outside the box (mind I tell you tht there was a ladder right behind us AND we had a rope bag (with 2 carabiners with a pully) and 12' of webbing )
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

I did it with a buddy in 1.5 minutes. I put him under the window to bench press the victim (since he is a weight lifter and very strong!) and I went down at the victim's legs. I put his legs over my shoulders and lifted his rear up while my buddy bench pressed the dude up to the sill of the window. Then I shoved him out to the waiting firefighters.

Definetly a strength move!

-Craig

Comment

Originally posted by DSMtuned View Post
      I did it with a buddy in 1.5 minutes. I put him under the window to bench press the victim (since he is a weight lifter and very strong!) and I went down at the victim's legs. I put his legs over my shoulders and lifted his rear up while my buddy bench pressed the dude up to the sill of the window. Then I shoved him out to the waiting firefighters.

Definetly a strength move!

-Craig
      I think it may have taken us 45 minutes.
      We simulated using a bucket at ground level. We did away with the bucket idea anyhow and put up a ladder. We sent 2 people in (one to ramp and one to pusht he victim to the ramp as close as possible). Then the other 2 (me and someone else) hooked up a carabiner/pulley to the ladder about 5 rungs above the window and hooked the anchor of the rope bag to the victims air pack and pulled the oher end of the rope until we got him to the window. It took a long time to figure it out. But I'm an explorer. This is definatlt somethign that make you think outside the box... but not too far out of the box.
      Firefighter/EMT
      My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Comment

that drill is fun, but ever dont the pittsburg drill?
        FF I
        FF II
        Hazmat Operations
        EMT-B
        ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainMikey View Post
          that drill is fun, but ever dont the pittsburg drill?
          Nope. Never heard of it. I've heard of the situation but never knew there was a drill for it.
          Oh and not to create a disruption or anything like that but Pittsburgh has an "h" at the end.
          Firefighter/EMT

Comment

First of all, you should be taught the lessons/skills, then try the practicals.
            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
              We were taught some of the the skills needed for it and the lesson was teaching us to use our resources... and our heads.
              Firefighter/EMT

Comment

This sounds like survival and escape stuff.
                We did one backbreaker called the catapult where one FF is on his/her back(packed up but not on air-this is training)in a VERY narrow hallway of the simulator and the biggest guy in the class is lifted up on one of the laying FFs feet.Just like the fighting move where you grab your opponent,fall backwards to the ground and place your foot into his belly and flip him over you,you can send the victim out a window without much effort.
                That weekend,I was still coming off an OTJ(real job)injury and I could do this drill without making my shoulder hurt worse than it already was.Just another trick to get out when things are going to Hale in a hand bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                  I agree with Bones, do you know why the drill is called the Denver Drill?? BE SAFE

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X