Becoming a junior tonight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a junior tonight!

Well, i've been waiting to become a junior firefighter since i was like 13 years old and tonight it is actually happening. After a long wait of three years, I finally turned sixteen in October. I'm really excited guys! Well, wish me luck. !!
    Marc Jacklitch
    Junior Firefighter
    Station: 286
    McKeesport, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Marc9118
    Well, i've been waiting to become a junior firefighter since i was like 13 years old and tonight it is actually happening. After a long wait of three years, I finally turned sixteen in October. I'm really excited guys! Well, wish me luck. !!

I know the feeling. Sounds just like me a few years back. Good luck with everything and if you need anything, do not hesitate to ask.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Comment

Congrads pal.Take in everything you can from the senior guys and gals and most of all have some fun.. Like RFRD said don't be afraid to ask any questions you have
      If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

Good luck. Have fun!
        Firefighter/EMT
        My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Comment

Good luck, have fun, BE SAFE!

Comment

They played a prank on me guys....

I had to stand in the garage for the first part of the meeting. Then before I was getting ready to get sworn in, one of the firefighters came over and told me that I had to put my fireman boots on because every member was sworn in with them. Well I beleived it.. So yea.. I walk in the hall and get sworn in.. The president is like " Where you going with those boots? Theres no fire!" I felt so embarassed.. But otherwise, I am very happy and cannot wait for my first fire call.
            Marc Jacklitch
            Junior Firefighter
            McKeesport, Pennsylvania

Comment

They played a prank on me guys....

I had to stand in the garage for the first part of the meeting. Then before I was getting ready to get sworn in, one of the firefighters came over and told me that I had to put my fireman boots on because every member was sworn in with them. Well I beleived it.. So yea.. I walk in the hall and get sworn in.. The president is like " Where you going with those boots? Theres no fire!" I felt so embarassed.. But otherwise, I am very happy and cannot wait for my first fire call.
              Marc, if that's the worst thing that ever happens to you during your career, then you'll have been a very lucky guy. Don't be embarrassed, it's probably happened to many before you. Just relax and have fun with it.

Comment

Trust me, I'm much quite relaxed. Although I am anxious for my first call to arrive. I wasn't aware of this until I was reading my junior firefighting manual. I found out that if I am schedled to go to work at 5:00 P.M and we get a fire call at 3:30, I can still attend the call and be late to work. I also found out that my boss could not fire me from work because I was on a fire call. I'm not sure if the laws are different in other states, but from what I read ( Junior Firefighting Manual of Pennsylvania, ) I am not able to get fired for attending work late because of attending a call. Has anyone else ever heard of this? In my opinion, it seems kind of awkward to me.
                Marc Jacklitch
                Junior Firefighter
                McKeesport, Pennsylvania

Comment

Trust me, I'm much quite relaxed. Although I am anxious for my first call to arrive. I wasn't aware of this until I was reading my junior firefighting manual. I found out that if I am schedled to go to work at 5:00 P.M and we get a fire call at 3:30, I can still attend the call and be late to work. I also found out that my boss could not fire me from work because I was on a fire call. I'm not sure if the laws are different in other states, but from what I read ( Junior Firefighting Manual of Pennsylvania, ) I am not able to get fired for attending work late because of attending a call. Has anyone else ever heard of this? In my opinion, it seems kind of awkward to me.
                  Go to work....the fire department will be there and run the call without you at this time. You are young, and will get plenty of action in your career....don't let (potential) fire calls run your life.
                  "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
                  - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Comment

Originally posted by WaterbryVTfire
                    Go to work....the fire department will be there and run the call without you at this time. You are young, and will get plenty of action in your career....don't let (potential) fire calls run your life.
                    Words of Wisdom right there. There are times now I wish I had of stayed at work instead of going to that silly little SOB med call that 25 guys showed up to the hall for...And if you can respond during school hours, DON'T. Another thing I regret now
                    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

Work

Like was said, go to work. It's not worth missing your paid job, for a little old lady with toe pain.

The only time I think of missing work, is for a daytime MVA with entrapment, or a confirmed working fire. And even then, only if it's during the early daytime, to early afternoon. I don't make money at the firehall, and as much as running calls is fun and cool, but I can't pay my bills with missed work time.

And as far as school goes, in PA if you are under 18, and still in school, you must be in your school at any time you are scheduled for normal school, unless you are legitimately sick, or it's a vacation day. And if you are sick, you can't run fire calls, or the school will say you could have been in school.

Comment

You know what the first day I was signed up for my post I got it the worst since my cousin was a firefighter where I am signed up in. The funny thing is that know I am the one that pranks everyone at the station, even the New Kids.

Comment

im a probie and i was given a swirlie... luckily its a brand new firehouse everything is nice and clean... no **** in the toilets...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X