Explorer Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chief310
    Interesting! Can you tell me where in the Code of Federal Regulations that this law appears? I've always been told it's a state issue.
    Department of Labor Website...

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthla...quirements.htm

Hope this helps....
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Comment

Originally posted by WaterbryVTfire
      Department of Labor Website...

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthla...quirements.htm

Hope this helps....
      Thanks for the link, but I was still unable to find any specific federal prohibition with regard to firefighting. The statutes I was able to find there covered many specific hazardous occupations, but suprisingly enough, not firefighting.

Unless someone is able to quote chapter & verse, I'm going to assume it's a state issue, not federal.

BTW, I'm not advocating youth participation in fire suppression, I just want to make sure accurate information is posted. A lot of people ASSUME that there is a federal statute that prohibits the activity, but so far, nobody's been able to show me where it is.

Comment

I'd have to look for it, but i'm pretty sure your Learning for Life Insurance prohibits dangerous activities and places limitations on the equipment you can use. They even go as far as not covering paintball activies. We discovered this when we planned a post trip, we just went as a post but didnt recongnize the event as a post event.

Well, as quoted from the Learning for Life website, I think their guidelines place limits on the activities of Explorers, but i'm still looking for the other link.

Fire and Emergency
        Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel, can only be mobilized as a post with leadership, and are not on call individually. When riding, they must be seated with a seat belt (never on the back of a fire truck standing) and cannot drive a department vehicle. Clear and specific departmental guidelines must be written on what an Explorer may do at the site of an emergency.

From: http://www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/index.html

Ok, I found the link for prohibited activites for Fire Explorers, here you go: http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp.../p-safety.html

The Gun clause is here (paintball): http://www.learning-for-life.org/lfl...afe/09.html#RA
        Last edited by KTorak; 11-21-2006, 01:18 AM.
        Kyle
        Bedford Fire/Rescue Explorer Post #547
        -Post Cheif
        -Treasurer
        -Mock Disaster Site Planner & Event Coordinator

Comment

Cont. Search for answers

This is from the labor website

"The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) prohibits minors under age 18 years old to work in any occupation that it deems to be hazardous. Among these occupations are excavation, manufacturing explosives, mining, and operating many types of power-driven equipment. Certain industries allow minors under age 18 to perform certain tasks at worksites whose primary work activity is dangerous, but these tasks are very specific and the state and federal government closely monitor compliance."

OCCUPATIONS DEEMD TO BE HAZARDOUS

General.

Occupations in or about plants or establishments manufacturing or storing explosives or articles containing explosive components (Order 1).

Occupations of motor-vehicle driver and outside helper (Order 2).

Coal-mine occupations (Order 3).

Logging occupations and occupations in the operation of any sawmill, lath mill, shingle mill, or cooperage stock mill (Order 4).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven woodworking machines (Order 5).

Exposure to radioactive substances and to ionizing radiations (Order 6).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven hoisting apparatus (Order 7).

Occupations involved in the operations of power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines (Order 8).

Occupations in connection with mining, other than coal (Order 9).

Occupations in the operation of power-driven meat-processing machines and occupations involving slaughtering, meat packing or processing, or

Occupations involved in the operation of bakery machines (Order 11).

Occupations involved in the operation of paper-products machines (Order 12).

Occupations involved in the manufacture of brick, tile, and kindred products (Order 13).

Occupations involved in the operations of circular saws, band saws, and guillotine shears (Order 14).

Occupations involved in wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking operations (Order 15).

Occupations in roofing operations (Order 16).

Occupations in excavation operations (Order 17).

Authority: Secs. 3, 18, 52 Stat. 1060, 1069; 29 U.S.C. 203, 218

Comment

Originally posted by PFVFRWFD1
            This is from the labor website

"The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) prohibits minors under age 18 years old to work in any occupation that it deems to be hazardous. Among these occupations are excavation, manufacturing explosives, mining, and operating many types of power-driven equipment. Certain industries allow minors under age 18 to perform certain tasks at worksites whose primary work activity is dangerous, but these tasks are very specific and the state and federal government closely monitor compliance."

OCCUPATIONS DEEMD TO BE HAZARDOUS

General.

Occupations in or about plants or establishments manufacturing or storing explosives or articles containing explosive components (Order 1).

Occupations of motor-vehicle driver and outside helper (Order 2).

Coal-mine occupations (Order 3).

Logging occupations and occupations in the operation of any sawmill, lath mill, shingle mill, or cooperage stock mill (Order 4).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven woodworking machines (Order 5).

Exposure to radioactive substances and to ionizing radiations (Order 6).

Occupations involved in the operation of power-driven hoisting apparatus (Order 7).

Occupations involved in the operations of power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines (Order 8).

Occupations in connection with mining, other than coal (Order 9).

Occupations in the operation of power-driven meat-processing machines and occupations involving slaughtering, meat packing or processing, or

Occupations involved in the operation of bakery machines (Order 11).

Occupations involved in the operation of paper-products machines (Order 12).

Occupations involved in the manufacture of brick, tile, and kindred products (Order 13).

Occupations involved in the operations of circular saws, band saws, and guillotine shears (Order 14).

Occupations involved in wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking operations (Order 15).

Occupations in roofing operations (Order 16).

Occupations in excavation operations (Order 17).

Authority: Secs. 3, 18, 52 Stat. 1060, 1069; 29 U.S.C. 203, 218
            This is what I found as well. I noticed that firefighting & emergency services is not specifically mentioned in the "Hazardous" list. I wonder if that's an oversight or was it excluded on purpose.

Comment

1. We are run through the boyscouts.
              2. Yes, but we do large trainings, calls, and events together.
              3. Any Explorer can ride any rig. On my 2nd week, I went on a call in the squad.
              4. We are not allowed to go on a medical call unless we are a first responder, EMT, or are on the squad when the call comes in, like what happened to me.
              5. We get new, safe helmets with old, beat-up gear from the 1980s.
              6. We are not allowed inside a burning building unless we are Vermont Firefighter 1 or 2 certified.
              7. We have 13 explorers. I am on the Vernon Volunteer Fire Company in Vernon, Vermont. We are Explorer Post 411. The department does about 150 fire and EMS calls per year. The town has a population of about 2,100 and houses the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant, where we cannot go into until we are 18, and the Vernon Hydro-Electric Dam, where we had a 1st alarm, smoke coming from the building, this morning. It was a false alarm.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X