Explorer Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer Posts

I was wondering Several things about your post as research for our post....

1. is your post run through the boyscouts or directly through the department?
    2. is it seperate from your vounteers?
    3. What are age limits for riding various apparatus?
    4. Can explorers ride the medic unit?
    5. What gear is issued?
    6. Can properly trainded explorers enter buring buildings?
    7. How many explorers do you have and what department/city/state are you in?

Thanks
    Kyle
    WFD

Kyle,
    I'm from Rossford Fire Explorer Post 790, Rossford, Ohio. We accept people from neighboring cities as well. We have 10 explorers. We can only take tools to the fire fighters, we are NOT aloud to enter the building no matter what training you have unless you are on the department.
    I'm not sure the answersto #1 or #2 but I will find out for you.
    Our Post has not adopted a ride-along policy, but I have gone along with the department in my city (Northwood FD). There we ride the Medic/Engine 806 which is staffed by 2 medics from 0800 to 1700 5 days a week. We don't ride the squad.

Hoepfully I've answered you questions.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Comment

1. boyscouts
      2. Dept. doesn't have vouly's
      3. None (post: 16-21)
      4. If older than 18/have waiver signed and using it for clincal hours (EMT, EMT-P)
      5. Full Turnout/Uniform
      6. No, other than a training tower/control burn
      7. "Have" 8-10, only a few show up. Monarch FPD, Chesterifleld, MO

Comment

1. Boyscouts
        2. separate from volunteers
        3. None (have to be out of middle school 15-21)
        4. We do not have one
        5. Uniform/ Bunker gear
        6. No unless it is for training purposes
        7. 4 explorers, only Liuetenant and I show up.

Comment

1. We register with the Boyscouts, but our post is run by Firefighters on the Dept.
          2. Completely Seperate, but we assist them with stuff arounf the station and at Public events.
          3. We have no ride-along policy, however, our post accepts 14-21 year olds.
          4. No.
          5. Bunkers/Dress Uniform.
          6. No, we enter no situations such as that.
          7. 10 total, 9 show up. Bedford Fire Dept, Lambertville, Mi.
          Kyle
          Bedford Fire/Rescue Explorer Post #547
          -Post Cheif
          -Treasurer
          -Mock Disaster Site Planner & Event Coordinator

Comment

RePhrase

i think i should rephrase one of my questions..................

#8 Can your explorers enter if they are properly trained and certified to?

Comment

Recorrect

Correction!!! #6

Comment

Unless an explorer is 18+ they cannot enter a dangerous enviro. EVEN with training. This is a federal law.

Comment

Originally posted by Resq1scnd2none
                  Unless an explorer is 18+ they cannot enter a dangerous enviro. EVEN with training. This is a federal law.
                  Resq, you are right, but lets throw a little bit of a twist to it. Who decides if it is dangerous? I'm sure we'll all agree that entering a burning structure that we do not know can be dangerous, but how about a burn at a tower/training institute? Maybe any type of burn is considered danerous. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but it is something that your last post got me wondering about.

What do you Explorers think on this? Lets hear your opinions on this.

Comment

1. Our Explorer Post is affiliated with the boy scouts, but run by the fire department
                    2. We have no volunteer firefighters, everyone is part-time or paid-on-call. Our Explorers are our only true volunteers.
                    3. Our age limit is 14 for membership, including ride-along
                    4. Yes
                    5. Complete PPE including coat, pants, boots, helmet, hood & gloves. It's all surplus gear, but it's usually in decent shape.
                    6. No, our Explorers do not enter burning buildings. When our they become properly trained & certified, then they're no longer Explorers. They become regular members.
                    7. 11 - Northern Union Fire & EMS - Richwood, OH

Comment

Originally posted by Resq1scnd2none
                      Interesting! Can you tell me where in the Code of Federal Regulations that this law appears? I've always been told it's a state issue.

Comment

1. is your post run through the boyscouts or directly through the department? My program is run directly through the department, we looked at the Boyscouts/LFL program but do not have the minimum amount of people required.

2. is it seperate from your vounteers? Nope, I do what the full members do (that is what I am allowed to do according to SOPs/SOGs), and attend the same trainings during and after probationary period.

3. What are age limits for riding various apparatus? This is where things can get a little confusing, the program is open to 15-17 year olds (when 18 you become a full member). If it is training you can ride in apparatus, as long as you are in good standing. At 16 if you have the appropriate medical training (i.e. CPR, 1st Aid, 1st Responder) you can respond to medical calls. At 17 and a level 2 Junior firefighter you can respond to all calls on apparatus. Otherwise, you have to ride in a POV or stay at the station.

4. Can explorers ride the medic unit? Since ALS and medical transport is provided by a different agency you have to follow their rules.

5. What gear is issued? I am still wondering that myself, this program is just getting started and we are still trying to get all the bugs worked out and the paperwork finished. At my old department (who abolished their program) I got full bunkers, full wildland, and a uniform which consisted of a T-shirt and ball cap (it was a small volley dept.). I am guessing it will be similar at my current department.

6. Can properly trained explorers enter burning buildings? If you are 17 and a level 2, you can assist with fire supression and similar activities, but it is unclear on whether you can actually enter an involved structure.

7. How many explorers do you have and what department/city/state are you in? Central City Fire Department; Central City, Colorado. The maximum we can have is 5, right now we have only one who is accumulating training hours. There is one other interested, but no training record has been started for him yet.
                        American by Birth, Firefighter/EMS Provider by the grace of God!

These are my personal views/opinions and do not necessarily reflect that of my department.

Comment

My understanding is that any Explorer post is affiliated with the boy scouts. The other type of program is Jr. Firefighter. Guidelines for the Jr. FF program are set by the department and the Explorer program mandates that Explorers can or cannot do. This may be wrong, this is just how I interpreted what was told to me. Explorers goes up to the age of 21. No Explorer shall ever enter a burning building, however, they can ride on the first truck out. Many of the other guidelines are set at the discretion of the officer running the program. We receive a full set of PPE. It is actually the old equipment from the firefighters. The only other difference between our equipment and our firefighters equipment is our helmets say Explorer on the side and we don't have our names anywhere on our gear.

I'm a member of Explorer post #2128, right now we have around 8 members, 2 of which have been inactive and have not re-uped for this next period.

Comment

Thanks

Well i got enough research.....i was doing this to try see what other posts have compared to ours. I apears we all have about the same SOP's. except riding on medic units. Our depatment does not allows us even when ur 16 or 17 even when ur 16or 17 with your EMT. Thanks for all your help!

Kyle
                            Explorer Post 1699
                            President

Comment

Originally posted by FLexplorer305
                              1. Boyscouts
                              2. separate from volunteers
                              3. None (have to be out of middle school 15-21)
                              4. We do not have one
                              5. Uniform/ Bunker gear
                              6. No unless it is for training purposes
                              7. 4 explorers, only Liuetenant and I show up.
                              exact same!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X