No announcement yet.

ABout to become an exploer; any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABout to become an exploer; any advice?

hey,
    i just the a letter saying i was going to get accepted as soon as a space was availble which should be soon,
    does anyone have advice for when i start?
    Last edited by EMTfromage3; 11-08-2006, 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling

When you start, show that this is really something you want to do and have fun with it. There's a lot of stuff you're going to get to do and just be ready to have a good time. Talk to the other guys and don't exclude your self from conversations. Once again... have fun!
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Comment

ha thats great as long as you show them that you will work and stay with it you will be fine and do the things others will not or dont want to do when a firefighter tells you to do something do it as fast and as good as you can and you will be fine and you will like it. I have ben there four 3 years. dont forget to have fun. later.
      ashevillefireexplorers.co.nr

Comment

thanks

thanks guys,
        thats great advice.
        i have been into the whole firefighting thing for a while now and an really exited to take it to the next level.
        thanks again for the advice,
        futurefiremed

Comment

New Firefighter

Well congrats on your letter. The only advice I can give to you is the same advice given to me "keep your eyes open and your mouth shut." I know that worked wonders for me. If you find a particular interest such as EMS, Rescue, Hazmat ....etc. go with it learn more about it, and remember you represent your department...... on and off the job. Where I live we don't have explorer groups so I never was able to get into it till I got on fulltime. Remember how lucky you are to learn about a great field at a young age and if you have any questions this is the place to ask. Good luck

Comment

Oops. I forgot this one... Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't get something that was said, ask another explorer or an advisor. You won't get anywhere in life without asking about something you don't understand. I've been with exploring for almost 2 years and let me tell ya, there's a lot to remember and there's SO MUCH that you will learn. Good luck to ya and congrats. Hope ya get on soon.

And don't be afraid to ask questions on here either. There's a crap load of people here to help ya.
            Firefighter/EMT
            My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by RFxplr326
              .....don't exclude your self from conversations.

Now here I have to disagree with Kyle (RFxplr326). There are many times that by butting into conversations you will find many ticked off people. This does not mean do not listen, or learn from what is going on around you, but as has been said before in threads on info for new guys, there are times to be involved in conversations and times not to be. When the FF's or other explorers are talking about a topic you have no idea about (such as something they did the past weekend, a call, etc) and if you weren't there, don't laugh when they do, etc. Around here at least, this is a very easy way to tick people off. Like I said before though, always listen and like someone posted here on another thread, God gave you two ears and one mouth so he must have wanted you to do twice as much listening as talking.

Another thing, no matter where you go or what you have done, when you are new someplace, you are their rookie. Sure prior experience or family connections help some people out, but don't walk in the first day and say "Well that's not how we did it at XXX department" or "This one time when I/we did this..." I think you get the idea.

If I am coming off really mean I am sorry. I know that you are sincere about this and really want to be a good explorer, so if there is anything else I can help you with, dont hesitate to PM, email, or contact me.

Jake
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

I gotta back Jake on this one.

Before the guys have accepted you, keep this in mind...You have two ears, but one mouth. Listen more then you speak.

When you're new, everyone is going to be watching you. You aren't "one of them" yet, and you won't be until you've proven yourself accordingly. Listen, observe, be courteous to anyone and everyone, and don't try to play yourself up to be more then you are.
                Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
                FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

have fun they will help alot in the long run, stick with it if firefighting is what you wanna do, enjoy it and make sure since you are the new guy that you pay attention to every little detail that they throw at you older explorers will try to test you. Show respect to your fellow explorers and firefighters. All eyes are gonna be on the new guy. Make sure that you know your equipment when they teach it to you thats gonna be a biggie. Enjoy it and have fun thats all im gonna say to you.

P.S since your new dont do anything stupid it will save you lots of pushups

Comment

One thing I can say that hasn't already been said, is don't take your position or program for granted. I was on a FD for almost a year when they decided to yank the rug out from under me and abolish their program (no reason). I have since started another program at a neighboring FD, after being out of it for almost 6 months. Yes, I was going crazy not being involved with the FD anymore, and I will never take any program I am a part of for granted again.

Few other things -- be patient good things come to those who wait. Always be willing to learn. Enjoy what you do no matter how menial the task seems. Not all FD work is riding in the BRT with sirens blaring, a lot of work goes on behind the scenes. Don't think you are above washing hose, or cleaning the station. Try and get along with everyone the FFs, EMS Providers, and Police. It pays off in the end.

These are just a few of the things (don't think you want the entire list as it is ever growing) I have learned over the time I have been a Junior FF. Granted all the programs I have been a part of have had one or two members on small rural volunteer departments, so most of the time we are doing whatever the full members are. Good luck, stay safe, and have fun!
                    American by Birth, Firefighter/EMS Provider by the grace of God!

These are my personal views/opinions and do not necessarily reflect that of my department.

Comment

Originally posted by CPMiller
                      Enjoy what you do no matter how menial the task seems. Not all FD work is riding in the BRT with sirens blaring, a lot of work goes on behind the scenes. Don't think you are above washing hose, or cleaning the station. Try and get along with everyone the FFs, EMS Providers, and Police. It pays off in the end.

Great thing to mention. I have been around the FD my whole life and am the ranking officer on our explorer post, but when we have hose or trucks to wash or some boring job, I am the first guy in line. I love being up at the station and being a part of the family. I am willing to do just about anything up at the station.
                      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTfromage3
                        hey,
                        i just the a letter saying i was going to get accepted as soon as a space was availble which should be soon,
                        does anyone have advice for when i start?

We've had a problem with cocky and disrespectful kids.... It's quite annoying especially when you are trying to learn and you're being set back by their remarks... Just be respectful and be dedicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Res343cue

Before the guys have accepted you, keep this in mind...You have two ears, but one mouth. Listen more then you speak.

Amen to that one.....Listen to the older guys they got plenty to pass on too yah
                          If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

As a new Jr. FF/EMT myself, I can tell you like the others have said...Listen to the senior guys, ask questions, show them you're interested, and do whatever you can to help out at the station: taking out trash, washing apparatus, restocking ambulance, etc. Definately dont go in with an "i-know-it-all" attitude, you'll just get everyone ticked at you. Good luck!
                            *My opinions not my departments*

Comment

Yes. Everything everyone else posted and this:

The Explorers 10 Commandments
                              1. Ice Cream is the oil of the fire service =D
                              2. Don't EVER laugh at something unless it is at you... remember, the firefighters you will meet at the station have probably worked together on some pretty tough incidents. They depend on each other every second they are on duty. Always remember that.
                              3. You are there (At the station) to learn, get an insight into the Fire Service, and serve the public. You are NOT there to watch TV, B.S. with the other guys/girls***, pick up chicks, and sleep.
                              ***Not to say not to have a good time, just watch what you say***
                              4. Remember you have to build a reputation. If you talk S--- on people all day at the station, your chances of getting a job are very bad, and you will have a very negative reputation ( I learned that one the hard way). Talk good on people/your chiefs/etc... , even if deep-down you really think they're jerks.
                              5. If you have a question.... ASK!!! If you do not know how to do something, SAY SOMETHING!!! (That's a biggie)
                              6. Listen to directions, and don't question someone's authoritiy.
                              7. Do not swear. Even though you might hear F*** this and F*** that all day long, you, as an explorer, do not have that privilege.
                              8. There is only 1 excuse: "Sir, No Excuse Sir!"
                              9. Address your peers by thier respective names. (Sir/Mam)
                              10. Have Fun!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X