Junior EMTs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior EMTs

(I'm not an EMT, just wondering for personal information)

I know that some states allow EMT-Bs to be part of their state registry by the age of 16. My question is whether or not a junior could LEGALLY (not according to your SOPs or SHOULD they) EMT under a state's registry could go mutual aid across state line? Basically I'm asking if there is a reciprocity system in place for all states, or if it varies.

if you holde a state cert, then you are certified in that state. in any other state from the legal stand point you are a well-trained civilian
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Comment

Jr. EMTs

I'm not sure what it is for Explorers, of Juniors, but for the actual fire fighters, there's a new system available that's ran through palm pilots and ID tags. Out of state fire fighters can show up on scene, report to the incident commander that they are fire fighters, EMTs, medics ect. and the IC can scan their ID tags VIA with an infared beam using the palm pilot which has all there information, what rank they hold, and so forth stored on a national system.

I have never heard of such thing about Junior EMTs. In Ohio, you can take the class when your're 16 but you can not be tested and become certified until you're 18. What state are you from that allows Junior EMTs?

Comment

Originally posted by Slaytallica45
        if you holde a state cert, then you are certified in that state. in any other state from the legal stand point you are a well-trained civilian
        Not true, not true at all in the majority of cases.

I've gone mutual aid across state lines when we are the only unit available. It's no different then an ambulance transporting a patient to a facility in another state when they don't hold that states certification equivalent. Vermont firefighters go MA to New York state, and they come to us. We go to NH, and the NH guys will come to us.
        Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
        Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
        FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Res343cue
          Not true, not true at all in the majority of cases.

I've gone mutual aid across state lines when we are the only unit available. It's no different then an ambulance transporting a patient to a facility in another state when they don't hold that states certification equivalent. Vermont firefighters go MA to New York state, and they come to us. We go to NH, and the NH guys will come to us.
          are you sure your guys dont have NREMT certs? if thats the case then yes you are certified in every state, but the person who posted this was talking about specifically state certs
          NJ FFII/EMT-B

Comment

ahhh, both right, but under different circumstances.

an EMT is only an EMT in the state that he is certified in. NREMT is only valid in states that recognize NREMT. As was mentioned earlier, if a NJ EMT is in California, he or she is nothing more than a well informed civilian.

however, if you are responding on apparatus (either ambulance or fire service vehicle), then you can operate in another state. In that case, you would still be operating under the rules and regulations of your home state.

all you got to do is think about an aero med helicopter that crosses state lines. the crew can still operate, but under the rules of their home state and agency, regardless of where they are sent.
            If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by Slaytallica45
              are you sure your guys dont have NREMT certs? if thats the case then yes you are certified in every state, but the person who posted this was talking about specifically state certs
              I'm very positive. NREMT is "accepted" in Vermont under reciprocity, but Vermont still provides it's own certification cards. As of the time I post this, I have let my certifications in a second state lapse, but could still operate in that state if called mutual aid.

While I may not be certified as an EMT in the second state, if we are called there or need to transport across state lines, they allow us the operating privaleges we need. It usually becomes a totally different story if your service bids on contracts in that state, or tries to run a business that operates there. I transferred one of my BLS certs, and left it at that.
              Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
              FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

[QUOTE=xplr326]I'm not sure what it is for Explorers, of Juniors, but for the actual fire fighters, there's a new system available that's ran through palm pilots and ID tags. Out of state fire fighters can show up on scene, report to the incident commander that they are fire fighters, EMTs, medics ect. and the IC can scan their ID tags VIA with an infared beam using the palm pilot which has all there information, what rank they hold, and so forth stored on a national system.[QUOTE]
                And where is this system in operation? I have yet to see it around here

Comment

This past summer, the fire fighters got ID cards and one of the department lts explained it to us. I'm not sure if it's in 100% operation but as far as I know, it's coming.

Comment

On a national level? No.

On a regional / mutual aid division level? Sure.

It sounds like the system where they are using RFID (small cards that transmit a signal) or the magnetic swipe card like a debit card with a handheld reader. Each person is assigned a specific ID, and a database of information is built with their name, DOB, certifications, whatever you want really.

I don't remember the companies who manufacture these devices, but they're a pretty neat way for personelle capability tracking, tag-in / tag-out, and a myriad of other things.

I A C O J
                    FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by Res343cue
                      On a national level? No.

On a regional / mutual aid division level? Sure.

It sounds like the system where they are using RFID (small cards that transmit a signal) or the magnetic swipe card like a debit card with a handheld reader. Each person is assigned a specific ID, and a database of information is built with their name, DOB, certifications, whatever you want really.

I don't remember the companies who manufacture these devices, but they're a pretty neat way for personelle capability tracking, tag-in / tag-out, and a myriad of other things.
                      That makes more sense I know that salamander technologies makes one of the systems as well as the touch-n-track system by a company named biosystems I believe.

Comment

To answer the previous question, Connecticut (my state) allows EMTs to be STATE-certified at 16. I'm wondering if they could technically practice mutual aid response, since my town is on the border with Putnam County, NY.

Comment

Originally posted by BPFire1618
                          To answer the previous question, Connecticut (my state) allows EMTs to be STATE-certified at 16. I'm wondering if they could technically practice mutual aid response, since my town is on the border with Putnam County, NY.
                          Yes.

I've responded in to NY from VT. You operate under your department or state EMS board / governing body. Play by the rules and there usually aren't any problems.

I A C O J
                          FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by xplr326 View Post
                            I have never heard of such thing about Junior EMTs. In Ohio, you can take the class when your're 16 but you can not be tested and become certified until you're 18. What state are you from that allows Junior EMTs?
                            Not sure about the actual question, but I know here in Maryland you can be an EMT before you're 18. I'll finish my EMT in about a month, and than start on Essentials. I'll have both finished before I'm 18 and be able to ride both...

The only EMT requirement that involves being 18+ here is going for your EMT-I, being as you have to ride OIC on a certain amount of calls, something you're not allowed to do until you're 18.

Comment

does anyone know the age requirment for becoming an EMT in south carolina?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X