No announcement yet.

Pre-alarm announcments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ours go like this. ( this is all theoretical)

Tones drop for department, pager goes off
    so: District 15, District 15 Almaville
    need units en route to 1234 Almaville Road
    1234 Almaville Road, got A report of a structure fire
    Complaintent advises heavy smoke and structure looks to be fully involved.

Then units check en route to the station. etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by tbonetrexler
      On another note, do they really say all that in the dispatch? We get very little info in the dispatch, and once a unit responds, they give that unit all the info they have.
      I'm not sure if this was directed to me or Stewart46, but I'll answer...yes, that's the kind of information commonly given at dispatch. When the first unit and/or officer from the home jurisdiction reports they're responding, dispatch will give any additional information they might have.

This could be something like...

"Berks, Engine 42 & 42-14 responding, 453 Church Road, crew of four"

"OK, Engine 42 & 42-14 responding at 1309. 42-14, we have multiple calls reporting flames from the second floor and one from the occupant reporting everyone is out of the building."

Or, if they had nothing else, it might just be something like:

"OK, Engine 42 & 42-14 responding at 1309. One call, no additional."

If the dispatcher is really on the ball, after they give the "flames showing, etc...", they may also ask if they should go ahead with the working fire response and if the officer wanted a specific fireground frequency, as in:

"42-14, you have Station 85 RIT and EMS for a working fire, would you like them awhile and would you like F-2 for the fireground?"

More often than not, however, they'll just wait for the officer to ask.

It's a bit of traffic, but it does give a pretty good idea of what you're getting into well ahead of arrival, at least most of the time.
      Last edited by bobsnyder; 10-31-2006, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Some dispatchers in our town pre-announce, some don't. They usually pre-announce to give time for the sirens to call up, alert PD if nessecary, or take more info from the caller. Seems alittle redundant to me, but hey, I'm not an EMD, what do I know.

Comment

Why pre announce?

Just hit the tones and give the location and assignment of companies that are going and get out of the house.
          OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
          343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Comment

Tones

The way we get toned out in our department is toned then they either say XXXX first responders assist XXXX ambulance with a Signal 19 at 123 Hooterville Rd reported chest pain. Sometimes we don't get the type of call until we ask. For fire rescue calls it is XXX fire respond to 123 Hooterville Rd for a signal 82 rollover. Again we may or may not get anymore than that without asking. Fires are usually address and type of fire, and more info if we ask.

The bad thing is usually it is not the same more than once, in the middle of the night all I am worried about is getting dressed, out the door and getting to the fire house. The last thing I need it to be trying to write down the particulars. I am not the first guy at the house normally but I get the location and type of call before I get on the truck. Kind of bad to not know where you are going or what you need to do when you get there!

Comment

No Prealerts here only tones and dispacther telling what the situation is.

Comment

No pre alert at my department. Goes just like this

[Company Tones] Engine 1, Truck 2, Medic 1, Battalion 1. Structure fire, 1073 North Broadway. 1073 North Broadway. Caller reports that they are trapped on a floor above the fire with multiple people. Please respond.". Then any other info we need is given to us on the radios as we roll to the call.

Comment

We don't have one. Pager tones, siren tones, message.

The neighboring county to the north makes an announcement before sending the tones "Central Dispatch on the air for Station 39 with a Medical". Gives them a heads up if their pager is open, etc.

The neighboring career dept. also has a pre-alert. It's a series of three beeps and then the squelch on the radio opens. This is on an 800 trunked system so there are no seperate pager-type tones for each station.
                  "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Comment

no pre-alert here, unless you have a scanner and hear our public safety dispatchers dispatching the PD before the FD to a fire

just goes.. tones: stations 5,4,3 and rescue 4 respond to 55 Fake street for a reported structure fire

Comment

No pre-alerts but in the middle of the night all our guys are instructed not to answer the radio until she pages a second time. It saves making her repeat locations and gives you a minute to get woke up at 3 AM.

Comment

We have a department or two around here that have asked at least 5 times for the address. That has to really make the comm center a little upset!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart46
                          We have a department or two around here that have asked at least 5 times for the address. That has to really make the comm center a little upset!!!
                          We have text paging to our mobile phones as a secondary alerting method. That has really cut down on this sort of thing.

Comment

To solve this problem, all of our officers have stored voice on their pagers. We also have a dry erase board right outside our radio room. The first guy to the station clears the call and then writes the adress and any other info on the dry erase board. Sometimes the person remembers the address, sometimes he/she asks dispatch for a repeat on the address, and sometimes the dispatcher will just say "10-4 Rossford Base, clear on the call to XXX Any Street at 1640."

Also on this dry erase board are notices such as road construction, equipment/apparatus that may be OOS, or what particular hospital has one of our backboards and CID's.
                            ------------------------------------
                            These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Dry erase board

That is a good idea we might have to look into that. Thanks.

We have radios and not pagers so you have to commit the call to memory or write it down quick. At OOOdark thirty I am lucky to get my eyes open and my hands are still pretty shakey due to that great natural drug called adrenalin!!

Comment

That is a good idea we might have to look into that. Thanks.

We have radios and not pagers so you have to commit the call to memory or write it down quick. At OOOdark thirty I am lucky to get my eyes open and my hands are still pretty shakey due to that great natural drug called adrenalin!!

If I can get my hands on one of our cameras I will take a picture of it when I go up for drill in a few hours.
                                These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X