Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question...

I Know I Should Know This But What Is an EMS And A Mutual Aid? There Are Some Other Ones I Do Not Know Like I Saw ie Not Sure What That Is. There Are Some Others But Cant Remember Thanks In Advance.

-James

EMS

Mutual Aid (you only have to read to first paragraph - Emergency response)
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

EMS= pretty much the main bulk of most depts calls now a days
        If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

Couple things, first please do us a favor and do not start each word with a capitol letter.

I think you were asking about "i.e."? Not sure the exact definition (I'm lazy and do feel like going to m-w.com) but it pretty much means "in example". For a really poor example it would be: "There are several different things a person can do to make themselves more attractive to department to hire them (i.e. become a medic, get a degree, etc etc).
          Fir Na Tine
          Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

"i.e." is the abbreviation for the latin term "id est" or "it is" or "that is"... see needlejockey's example above, it gets the point across.
            Last edited by FTMPTB15; 10-20-2006, 10:58 PM. Reason: clarification...
            Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
              "i.e." is the abbreviation for the latin term "id est" or "it is" or "that is"... see needlejockey's example above, it gets the point across.

What he said....

and just throwing this out there, but e.g.- is the abbreviation for the latin phrase, exempla gratia, which means for example.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
              ------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks guys, latin never was my strong point. Dropped out and took German instead. Fat lot of good that did me. I can't even remember enough to ask where the bathroom is. Actually i remember everthing but the word "bathroom". Good thing I don't plan on going to Germany eh?

BTW Slickpost, you might be surprised by how many people I come across that use lots of abbreviations and have absolutely no idea what it means. They just roughly know when to use it (and get it wrong plenty too).
                Fir Na Tine
                Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

Needlejockey.. the phrase you want is..

In English...
                  Where is the bathroom.. I gotta pee!
                  In Deutsch..
                  Wo das Badezimmer ist. Ich erhielt zu pinkeln!*
                  *translated via AlaVista's Babelfish
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

And then back to English: "Where the bathroom is. I received too pinkeln!"

Hmm, I think the phrase 'lost in translation' may apply here.

Comment

Danke Herr Gonzo.
                      Fir Na Tine
                      Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

From a native German:

"Wo ist das WC? ich muss pinkeln."

or the more likely version that a firefighter would use:

"Wo ist das Scheisshaus? Ich muss ****en!"
                        "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusKspn
                          From a native German:

"Wo ist das WC? ich muss pinkeln."

or the more likely version that a firefighter would use:

"Wo ist das Scheisshaus? Ich muss ****en!"
                          If that was in english I'm sure you'd be getting a PM from the webteam. lol
                          Fir Na Tine
                          Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

I will plead diplomatic immunity.
                            "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X