when you ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when you ride

we just got our explorer post back up and we can ride but we cant do inything unless told other whise is this the same as your post?
    ashevillefireexplorers.co.nr

Asheville! Cool! I grew up in Waynesville. It's nice to see someone on here from back home.

Sorry I have no information for you regarding explorers. As far as I know we don't have anything at all like that or a junior program at our station. But I'm still new to this one and have to figure it out. At my old station we had juniors not explorers, but they were allowed to run on 2nd out pieces and could do exterior stuff. Mostly refilling airpacks, helping pack hose, etc. Some might think it's crap work, but when it can free up an interior attack firefighter it's great.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

yea i think that whin you have more firefighters free they can not only put out the
      fires faster but help others that need it like victims.thanks for oyur reply

Comment

Now that is an excellant opinion. Keep that and I think things will work out well. I've run into several juniors before that get upset that we keep assigning them "crap" work. Some of them just can't understand the benifit of the job they are doing. Plus they're getting alot of early learning. Once they turn 18 they already have a lot of their certifications and training and we already know what they can do so they get to jump right in pretty much.
        Fir Na Tine
        Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

Originally posted by needlejockey
          Now that is an excellant opinion. Keep that and I think things will work out well. I've run into several juniors before that get upset that we keep assigning them "crap" work. Some of them just can't understand the benifit of the job they are doing. Plus they're getting alot of early learning. Once they turn 18 they already have a lot of their certifications and training and we already know what they can do so they get to jump right in pretty much.

They don't realize that they get a better start in the field this way. They know the ropes (so to speak). They've been around and seen what needs to be done as well as obtaining the training to go along with it.
          Luckily for us, our post is more intrested in really learning whats going on. They don't mind hitting the books and learning the boring stuff first.
          They also get the chance to run rehab for every class we have that involves any type of actual burn.
          We have a pressurized container class coming up this weekend. Not only do they get to run rehab, they get the benifit of sitting in on the classroom part of it too. They are all really excited about this aspect.

Comment

My department is starting a Explorer post in two days and from what I have been told we will be able to respond to all calls and and have pagers. We will not be able to run blue lights, but once we make it to the station will be be able to get on any truck going out of the station. So with that said we will get on-site training, plus our Cheif will be teaching our training classes.

Comment

Originally posted by American20
              My department is starting a Explorer post in two days and from what I have been told we will be able to respond to all calls and and have pagers. We will not be able to run blue lights, but once we make it to the station will be be able to get on any truck going out of the station. So with that said we will get on-site training, plus our Cheif will be teaching our training classes.

Is your fire dept a paid fire dept? Because if it is then why dont you ask about doing what we do? we ride all day long and stay at the station but we dont get to sleep there or get blue lightes or pagers. so thats the only bad thing.

Comment

i've been in with the explorers for about 6 months now.
                When im on the truck and we get a call, im allowed to ride to the call. But when we get there, we have to get the tarp out and set up all of the tools and the extra Oxygen bottles on it.

Thats all i have.....hope i was some help to you!!

- Explorer post 4204

Comment

Originally posted by jrff4204
                  i've been in with the explorers for about 6 months now.
                  When im on the truck and we get a call, im allowed to ride to the call. But when we get there, we have to get the tarp out and set up all of the tools and the extra Oxygen bottles on it.

Thats all i have.....hope i was some help to you!!

- Explorer post 4204

Thank you thats alot of help ill set it up so we can do that atomatikly with out bing told to.

Comment

My department is a all volunteer based department. So we are pretty leaniant about how we handle things but our training within the department is pretty intence. We have 4 paid firefighters on our department and many that have full state training so its a great deal for our guys.

Comment

yea that is a great deal being traind like that if the paid firefighters are there all the time id just try to stay at the fire dept with them because you can learn more about thier training and evorything they do as payed firefighters insted of the way volunteer's
                      do. like just wating at home for a call and driving your own car/truck to the seen and not being able to do much untill the engine or truck gets there.But if you ride with the
                      paid firefighters you can just ride to the seen on the engine or truck and jump of and go into action unsted of sitin around until the engine or truck gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by afrexplorer1
                        we just got our explorer post back up and we can ride but we cant do inything unless told other whise is this the same as your post?
                        Pretty much its the same where i am but when we get on scene we were pretty much responsible for getting the tools that they need and grabing the hydrant and such ya my mind just went blank

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew6163
                          Pretty much its the same where i am but when we get on scene we were pretty much responsible for getting the tools that they need and grabing the hydrant and such ya my mind just went blank

yea thats prabably what there gonna have us do i hope so b/c its gotta bee done some how.we thanks ill see ya later

Comment

We have a list for the explorers of what they are supposed to do on calls. mainly consists of getting tools that we may need and placing them on a tarp in rehab. they also replace and fill bottles in air packs.
                            Buck
                            Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by afrexplorer1
                              yea thats prabably what there gonna have us do i hope so b/c its gotta bee done some how.we thanks ill see ya later

ummm, maybe one of your training classes should be on how to use the spell check feature on your computer. Before someone yells at me for "being rude" please remember that such attention to detail now, will pave the way for later on down the road when you are typing narratives for NFIRS reports and such.
                              Jon
                              FF/EMT
                              Communications Trainer
                              IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader