What is next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is next?

Alright SO I joined ive been issued turnout gear and an engine im getting a pager and im only an explorer and I have minimal experience. Im told ill be responding to calls but not allowed to fight interior fires which is ok seeing as though i dont want to be responsible for another death or my own but i need specifics what CLASSES are required? What courses should i take i want to be the best that i can be i want to be fighting interior fires! Please ANY BODY respod with ANYTHING!!! THe more replys the better!

Ask the post superviser. Almost all departments/posts have different requirements. Unless somebody from your post goes on these boards, we really have no idea what classes are required for you to take.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Comment

Unless you are over 18 you can settle down about jumping inside. Ask YOUR Cheif about what is specific to YOUR department.
      Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Comment

I'm not sure how your Post runs, but I know that every Explorer in my post has an IFSTA manual (4th edition). I would definately start studying hard. Get an IFSTA and a highliter and have at it. Not only do you learn, but it makes it look like hardcore explorer/vollie. I dang near KNOW the pages of the IFSTA. When I ride-out, the first thing I do is read. It is amazing how much you can learn. Things like: When water converts to steam how much does it increase in volume? (X1700). You will also be much more attentive to learning. That's just my penny and a half.
        All Gave Some. Some Gave All.
        FDNY - 343 - 9/11/2001

God Bless the Charleston 9. Godspeed Brothers.sigpic

Comment

Well you can start with Firefighter 1 when your 18.

I know how you feel, that is my personal goal, to be the best firefighter I can be. You can learn a lot from other firefighters and from classes.

Firefighter I builds up your confidence, but RIT and SCBA Competency break it back down. To me that is a KEY. You can never feel too confident in a fire. You will have to realize that you are not invincible, firefighters go down, know what to do if that happens. Take some search classes and anything that helps you survive as an interior guy. We have an advanced Fire attack class that I would like to take aswell, and a flashover simulator which teaches you a lot. Flashovers are something you should learn to spot before they happen, all the preflashover signs.

Nothing can beat experience and wisdom, but training helps a lot, and you can learn from your instructors.

Hope this helps.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X