Scenarios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenarios

Just for a little change of pace from the normal "OMG BLUE LIGHTS AND PAGER" threads, thought I'd try something new. I'll give a situation and you respond as appropriate.

Available apparatus:
    2 Class A Pumpers (Engine 1 and Engine 2)
    2 1850 gallon Tankers (Tanker 3 and Tanker 4)
    1 Heavy Rescue/HAZMAT (Rescue 5)
    1 100' Aerial Ladder (Truck 6)
    1 Brush Truck [Ford F-450 size] (Brush 7)
    2 ALS Ambulances (Medic 8 and Medic 9)
    1 15 Foot rescue boat (Marine 10)
    1 Command Car (Car 11)

(PD always available for assistance with traffic, etc. Mutual Aid POSSIBLY available upon request)

Initial Dispatch:
    Engine 1, Rescue 5, Medic 8, Car 11 respond to a 1-car motor vehicle accident into a tree, reports of possible victims trapped and light smoke coming from the engine compartment.

(All units have responded to scene, no visable flame showing, but 2 victims are trapped. Respond as if you are Car 11, the Incident Commander, to which units would you delegate what tasks? What additional units, if any, would you require?)
    Last edited by BPFire1618; 08-07-2006, 11:08 PM.

My answer:

-Request 2nd-due ambulance.
    -Request PD for traffic control.
    -Engine Company pulls/charges safety line
    -Rescue Company attempts opening doors to no avail. Cutting tools applied to spread door open or remove roof as nessecary.
    -Medics evaluate patients and decide if both can be transported in a single ambulance. If so, 1st-due bus transports and 2nd-due goes back into service.
    -Rescue 4 is back in service, Engine 1 remains on scene.
    -Auto-service is called to remove vehicle.
    -All units return to service.

Comment

Good idea. We should have more of these.

Anyways, my response/assignments.

- Enroute, I'd have the MEDEVAC bird put on standby, I wouls also have a neighboring company toned out for a Medic and either an Engine or Rescue (depending on which truck carries extrication equipment.)
      - Upon arrival ask for Engine 2 and Medic 9.
      - Have Engine 1 park in a blocking position and pull a 1 3/4" line off
      - Rescue 5- stabilization and extrication
      - Medic 8- Pt. Assesment/Treatment/Transport
      - Medic 9- Same as above
      - Engine 2- set up LZ if needed

*****See, this is a little different from my area because the smaller depts. are just toned out, they do not specify which trucks are to respond. The running order determines which trucks roll to which calls and in which order. Whenever our dept. gets toned out for a structure fire or an MVA w/ possible entrapment, a neighboring dept. sends at least a mini-pumper, many times, a Rescue Engine and at least 1 medic unit. The same is true if they get toned out to a structure fire or MVA w/entrapment. This way, no matter what you may have on scene when you arrive, you have plenty of resources coming. If the MVA is minor and there is one pt. who is ambulatory, you cancel the mutual aid companies, hold ususally an engine and a medic, and cancel all other responding companies.
      ------------------------------------
      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

I have some good ideas for some scenarios....but am about to head out for some golf. Will post later.
        These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

My department also doesn't tone specific trucks, so from now on I guess we'll just go without specifics and let the person figure out what rigs they want. Just try to stick to the same department and equipment for future scenarios if you can, I mean that's pretty flexible with what is there, but if you have to change something go ahead.

Comment

Next Call:

Fire department, ambulance, and medic requested to respond to report of a grease fire at Joe's Diner. One person reported burned from the fire, PD on scene reports no other injuries or exposures in the building.

Units I would dispatch to scene:
            Engine 1
            Tanker 3
            Rescue 5
            Medic 8
            Car 11
            (Available fire marshal)

Units placed on standby in quarters or code 2 response (no lights/siren):
            Engine 2

Response:
            1st. Engine company ensures building is evacuated while Medic 8 treats primary victim and ensures other customers/employees are not hurt, tanker stands by to begin shuttle operations if nessecary.
            2nd. Rescue company attempts to shut off gas line.
            3rd. Engine company extinguishes remaining fire.
            4th. Rescue company employs fans to remove smoke from building while monitoring for fire spread with Thermal Imaging Camera.
            5th. Scene turned over to Fire Marshal for investigation.

(Feel free to critique anything you see wrong here.)

Comment

1st call

This is my reply for the first call:

Start me medic 9, and get me a cover ambulance from another town, also tone the fire dept again for station coverage.

Engine 1 park in a blocking position, and proceed to safe the vehicle (namely disconnect the battery)

Rescue 5 pull up next to the vehicle and proceed to extricate.

After extrication:

Rescue 5 in on scene available for calls
              Engine 1 will be tied up awaiting the tow truck
              Medic 8 and 9 evaluating 2 at this time

Road is open pd controlling traffic.

After patient evaluation:

Medic 8 transporting 1 to nearby hospital, 1 signoff. Medic 9 in service returning
              Rescue 5 in service returning

Engine 1 assisting tow truck then returning in svc.
              Command terminated.
              Courage is not the abscence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear.

Comment

2nd call

This is my response for the second call. I wont critique you, but I'll say what I would do, since every commander thinks differently.

Car 11 responding direct.
                Tone me a cover ambulance and cover engine.

Engine 1 pull up to the front doors and stretch a foam line into the building.
                Engine 2 tie in to the hydrant and send your crew inside with the thermal imager.
                Tanker 3 stage in the street.
                Rescue 5 commence primary search.
                Medic 8 treat burned employee, medic 9 assess any other possible injuries.
                Truck 6 stage in rear of building.

Engine 1 extinguish fire.
                Engine 2 check for extension
                Rescue 5 stage at apparatus
                Truck 6 commence venthilation
                Medic 8 transporting one to local hospital
                Medic 9 in svc at the scene.
                Tanker 3 in svc at the scene

Engine 1 and truck 6 to remain on scene to vent and pick up
                Engine 2, Rescue 5, Medic9, Tanker 3 clear returning in svc.
                Thank the cover ambulance and engine and they can clear our station.

Engine1 and truck 6 in svc returning
                Command terminated.
                Courage is not the abscence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear.

Comment

and now for one of mine

If you dont mind, I have one of my own.

Available units.
                  Engine 1 holds 1500 gallons
                  Engine 2 (best pump, oldest truck) holds 1750 gallons
                  Engine 4 holds 1000 gallons
                  Ladder 1 a 100 ft aerial ladder
                  Forestry 1 holds 250 gallons, with a 500 gpm pump
                  Rescue 2 has extrication tools and 8 spare air packs
                  2 ALS ambulances 850 and 851

Mutual Aid
                  16 engine 1
                  16 ladder 1
                  16 ambulance 1
                  16 tanker 1
                  16 c1
                  3 engine 1,2,3,4,5
                  350 BLS ambulance
                  450 Paramedic ambulance ( up to three available if absolutely necessary
                  Rochester
                  2 engines (engine 1 or 4
                  1 tanker (engine7)
                  1 chief
                  1 ladder

companies more than 5 mins away
                  1 tanker 1
                  1 engine 1
                  1 ladder 1
                  25 engine 1
                  8 tanker 1
                  5 tanker 1

Dispatch: 12:35 pm possible structure fire, 1280 meaderboro rd, near the town line (the town being the 16- units) call came in from neighbor, saw heavy smoke coming from attic of 2 1/2 story house with attatched barn
                  unknown if anyone is home or inside at the time.

Car 1 responding. 1 minute passes and you have enough personnel responding to man 3 trucks plus the ambulance day crew. The area is about 5 or 6 miles out of town, with no hydrants in a 5 mile area. it is a five or 6 minute ride from the station to the address. dispatch reports multiple calls now, both neighbors and passerby, heavy smoke and possible flames from the attic.

The mutual aid compainies listed here are enough for a good second alarm. use them as you see fit.

There is a water source about 2 miles down the road, you pass it on your way to the address.

You arrive on scene and find a 2 and 1/2 story wood frame residential, heavy flames and smoke showing from the attic. Two cars in the driveway, a woman and two kids standing just in the street watching, the woman tells you that her husband has a fire extinguisher and went upstairs to try and control the blaze. She says he left about 5 minutes ago.
                  at this time Engine 1 and Ladder 1 is responding. Engine 4 will be in about 30 seconds. as well, 850 is approaching the scene, it has two air packs in it, and the EMTs are crosstrained a firefighters too.

You may add in assignments that you would make while responding.
                  Last edited by FFDexplorer2; 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Maybe circumstances are different where you live, but for a grease fire with no exposures inside the building I do not think that I would rool that much equipment.

Our daytime response would probably look like this:

Medic 793 (Medic unit)
                    ALS Engine 794 (could be sent code 2 per 793 or Chief 200)
                    Truck 791 (code 2 most likely)
                    Chief 200 and/or Chief 201

Nighttime response would probably look like this:

ALS Engine 794
                    Truck 791 (code 2 most likely)
                    Chief 200 and or Chief 201
                    Medic 793 (at IC's request)

Comment

Well, around here, any type of fire in the kitchen area of a restaraunt brings 2 engines and a ladder code 1(l+s) and both ambulances code 1. but in a deot where a tanker was available, and I had the manpower for it, I would have rolled them code 2(l/no s) just in case, the fire had spread unseen in a venthilation unit or in the walls. and that assignment would have all but cleared our station, thus the need for a cover engine and ambulance. Like I said, every commander thinks and acts differently. Thats just how I would do it. I am a big fan of calling for more than you need, because its easier to return unneded companies, than it is to call and wait for more. Thats my favorite strategy, whats yours?

Comment

Originally posted by FFDexplorer2
                        Like I said, every commander thinks and acts differently. Thats just how I would do it. I am a big fan of calling for more than you need, because its easier to return unneded companies, than it is to call and wait for more. Thats my favorite strategy, whats yours?

A- FREAKING-MEN!!!!!!!!!

I am also a fan of bringing more help than may be needed, but there are exceptions. On our first-out engine they have a TIC which the officer would bring in as the FF's stretched the line. We probably would end up rolling a medic code 2. Here it may be a little different as our entire response area is hydranted.

Comment

For a grease fire we would roll one engine. Being that I am in Southern California, we never "overdo" a call. Overdoing a call is what helped the Fire Seige 2003 incident get so bad. If I was rolling to a grease fire and then we got toned out for a vegetation fire, we would make a quick stop at the grease fire and then roll code 3 to the vegetation fire. Fires tend to spread really fast in the Summer so no time can be lost. But then again not everyone lives in a desert.
                          All Gave Some. Some Gave All.
                          FDNY - 343 - 9/11/2001

God Bless the Charleston 9. Godspeed Brothers.sigpic

Comment

Scenario reply

I would have Medic 8, Rescue 5, and Engine 1 go directly to the scene and i would put up flares and make sure the scene is secure (No unexpected vehicles come and no people in the way of getting the job done) while the other trucks make sure there is no fire and or any other malfunction. Then i would make sure ALS had enough help on that one rig to extricate the 2 victums. once the victums were clear then i would put down some speedy dry if needed for any spilled fluids and call the wrecker to haul the vehicle out.

Comment

Originally posted by RFRDxplorer
                              Here it may be a little different as our entire response area is hydranted.
                              Only our downtown area is hydranted, and thats barely one square mile out of six that we cover. So, water is our biggest issue, even in our hydrant area, ther isnt enough sometimes. Our hydrants are only 50 psi, and some are less.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X