Juniors And Pagers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juniors And Pagers

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about Juniors (or explorers) being given pagers by their department?

What we think matters not. If your department has the resources and chooses to issue pagers to junior members, that's great. If they don't, that's okay too. The bottom line is it's a local decision and it's up to your department leadership.

Comment

Originally posted by junior4now
      I was just wondering what everyone thinks about Juniors (or explorers) being given pagers by their department?
      Can you respond on calls...If yes then sure you should,only if your dept has enough for its senior members

If not...Then no..

Pretty simple
      If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Comment

Please, for the love of all that is good and decent, use the search feature. There must be 1,000,000,000,000,001 threads on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by BPFire1618
          Please, for the love of all that is good and decent, use the search feature. There must be 1,000,000,000,000,001 threads on this topic.

Ok,glad you posted this before I got all 1,000,000,000,000,001 links posted.
          ------------------------------------
          These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

Looks like we're runnin' out of things to talk about huh ?

Pagers, Blue Lights, Can I leave School for Fires, I'm not treated like a senior Fireman, I don't have a Class A uniform, ......I could go on and on. It's gettin' old and OH BOY THE DRAMA !

Comment

I really don't care. If you can respond, you kinda need one, equipment permitting.

If they can’t respond it’s still nice to know what’s going on. I learned a lot just by listening.

I was never allowed to respond and was not issues any radio equipment. I decided to buy my own pager. I got a good deal on it, so it cost me less than a scanner. Now, just because I had one doesn’t mean I was running around chasing calls. If you don’t act stupid and use some common sense what’s the problem?

My advisers were paranoid control freaks. They tried to tell the explorers if they were seen anywhere with a scanner they would be removed form the post. I had a major problem with this. I fail to see how they can try to stop someone from using personal property legally.

I view a pager as being no different from a scanner. Anyone can have a scanner, so why can't they have a pager?
              Last edited by ffexpCP; 08-07-2006, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I've got a pager AND a radio...in which i am allowed on scene to calls...ALSO...for the senior members its all cool that you come and reAd the junior forums but quit bashing us...ITS A JUNIOR FORUM...DEAL W/ IT...if you see something you dont like...you dont need to be bring the youngens down...YOU WERE ONCE A PROBIE TOO
                Last edited by donk7267; 08-07-2006, 10:51 PM.
                DONK

All that I have posted are only my opinions and absolutely have nothing to do with my department and any other affiliations.

Comment

Somebody, anybody, PLEASE lock this. It's always the same responses to the same questions. And we wonder why explorers and juniors aren't treated with respect...

Comment

Originally posted by ffexpCP
                    I view a pager as being no different from a scanner. Anyone can have a scanner, so why can't they have a pager?
                    Actually, I was looking through a manual for a scanner I was looking at buying and one thing it said in it was:
                    However, there are some transmissions that you should never intentionally listen to. These include:
                    •Telephone conversations (cellular, cordless, or other private means of telephone signal transmission)
                    •Pager transmissions
                    •Any scrambled or encrypted transmissions
                    According to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA), you are subject to fines and possible imprisonment for intentionally listening to, using, or divulging the contents of such a conversation unless you have the consent of a party to the conversation (unless such activity is otherwise illegal).
                    It's not too clear on what a pager is, they could be talking about private alphanumeric pagers rather than pagers used for dispatch of public services. In 10 minutes of searching I couldn't find the exact rule over this, but maybe somebody else has an idea?

Comment

Originally posted by BD6413
                      Looks like we're runnin' out of things to talk about huh ?

Pagers, Blue Lights, Can I leave School for Fires, I'm not treated like a senior Fireman, I don't have a Class A uniform, ......I could go on and on. It's gettin' old and OH BOY THE DRAMA !
                      Well,they ARE new to this.Not everybody had every post memorized.I know I could use some repeated training once in a while.

Comment

I don't think they are talking about tone paging. Heck, my new scanner can decode tones and act just like a Minitor.

Comment

Originally posted by donk7267
                          I've got a pager AND a radio...in which i am allowed on scene to calls...ALSO...for the senior members its all cool that you come and reAd the junior forums but quit bashing us...ITS A JUNIOR FORUM...DEAL W/ IT...if you see something you dont like...you dont need to be bring the youngens down...YOU WERE ONCE A PROBIE TOO
                          ok, that is defenatly NOT the best way to make a good first impression.

back on topic, we give pagers to our junior firefighters, but if a sr member needs one, a jr has to give theirs up. no questions asked.
                          and BTW jr's here ARE allowed to respond
                          First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Comment

Originally posted by res54cuecaptain
                            ok, that is defenatly NOT the best way to make a good first impression.

Ditto.

ffexpcp,

What kind of scanner is that?
                            These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Comment

My only peeve is that Jrs., are riding first truck out, when there are Sr. (aka qualified) firefighters there (or responding to) at the station as well. As a Jr., you should be in a supprt role, which may mean 2nd due engine, Utility truck, perhaps the tanker, or not getting on any apparatus at all. If you are asked/told to get on by a Officer, thats one thing. But, don't assume you will be going to every call.
                              Just my 2 cents...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X