Explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer?

The Explorer Program is just starting up at my local station. It's being run by my dad and my uncle, both of whom are ex-chiefs. Having just turned 17 I could join the program for a full year then become an actual firefighter. Before now I had never given it much consideration, thinking it just wasn't for me. Now I'm not so sure. My younger cousin has wanted to fight fires since before he could walk, it was just in his blood. I was pretty disinterested until the oppourtunity recently came up.

I'm just not sure I've got what it takes. Maybe because it is a relatively new idea for me. I understand that this doesn't mean I'll become a full blown firefighter, but I'd be well on my way. I come from a family of firefighters, I grew up playing on the trucks, knowing the station like the back of my hand. I really am interested, I guess I'm looking for some assurance or even guidance. I always thought in order to join, you needed a calling. I can't tell if mine if coming now because I feel as if it should have come long ago. I'm really interested in some feedback and hearing about other's experiences. I'd really appreciate it.

Do it while you still can. If you don't like it or you feel it isn't for you, you can always just stop doing it.

Comment

The whole idea of an Explorer program is to do just what you want - to explore the career and see if it's for you. If you fall in love with it like I did, then it will give you a head start. If you don't, and you decide it's not for you, then you won't have wasted a lot of time and money in the academy. Either way, the program will have served its purpose.

Whichever way you go, good luck and be safe!

Comment

Well I started myself when I was 17. I am first generation and it was a little weird at first. Honostly I found that I loved it and decided that I wanted to make a career out of it. Unfortunately that cost me quite a bit. (30g for 1 1/2 years of college as a software engineer). Took me awhile to realize that firefighting is an awesome career.

Like the other guys said, give it a shot, see if you like it. You can always quit, but as time goes on, it gets harder to bring yourself to the fire company.

I dont know how it would be for you, to carry on the "family tradition", but I know I take a lot of pride in being the first in my family to start.

Comment

I would definatly take advantage of the oppourtunity and like others said, if you don't get "the bug" or have that certain feeling, you are more than welcome to stop. I am currently an explorer and without the explorer program I think that I would go crazy. I have wanted to be a firefighter since I was born, I live, breath, eat, and sleep firefighting........some call it an obsession, I call it a lifestyle. I also tend to go a bit overboard and take advantage of every single training oppourtunity possible outside of explorers, I read FH mag cover to cover the day it comes in since I was about 9,I'm on FH.com every day reading articles and scanning the forums. And you also may learn skills that even if you don't join a department may allow you to save a life. i.e.- CPR, etc.

Good Luck.

If ya need anything feel free to PM, email, or get a hold of me somehow.
          ------------------------------------
          These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
          ------------------------------------

Comment

Absolutely take advantage of it. It is great fun and it made me decide for sure that I love the career, and it is definitely what I want to spend my life doing.
            Courage is not the abscence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant516
              Well I started myself when I was 17. I am first generation and it was a little weird at first. Honostly I found that I loved it and decided that I wanted to make a career out of it. Unfortunately that cost me quite a bit. (30g for 1 1/2 years of college as a software engineer). Took me awhile to realize that firefighting is an awesome career.

Like the other guys said, give it a shot, see if you like it. You can always quit, but as time goes on, it gets harder to bring yourself to the fire company.

I dont know how it would be for you, to carry on the "family tradition", but I know I take a lot of pride in being the first in my family to start.
              Pleassse tell me that that 30g was either or a private school or out of state tuition, and NOT for an institution like ECPI.
              Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
              Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by KEEPBACK200FEET
                Pleassse tell me that that 30g was either or a private school or out of state tuition, and NOT for an institution like ECPI.
                It was an out of state private school. Drexel University in Philly.

Comment

I say go for it. I'm glad I did. I've been on since I was 14 since out age is 14-21 and I'm glad I joined when I did. I'll be more than ready for the acadamy next year.

If you do join the explorers which I highly recomend and decide you don't like the idea of being a firefighter anymore (which can happen) atleast you won't have spent hundreeds of dollars going through the acadamy and taking classes.

Comment

i think you should really trie it out because if you do it will not only will it let you know what the rill thing is like but it could help you get a job.i have done a lot with my post from search and rescue to comunications and it is rilly fun i think you should join
                    ashevillefireexplorers.co.nr

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X