No announcement yet.

preference of helmet gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok dex and wfd im just saying what if your in a building and there is an exlposion and your wearing your goggles and a piece of steel comes flying at your face i somewhat doubt that goggles will protect you. All im saying is even though they may be the best they cant protect against everything.

Comment

i have a faceshield its a pain in the butt to keep it up. when i get my leather im gonna have the Bourkes and goggles.

Comment

Thats crazy Eone, thats like saying "Gee my gear aint going to protect me from a flashover so why bother wearing it at all in a fire."

Well outside of your Backdraft scenerio,yes they will protect you by slowing down and absorbing the energy of the object. Chances are its the small things that are going to get you rather than a 55 gallon drum just randomly explodeing at you.

You been talking bout mikey alittle to long I think your getting down to his level.
        Last edited by dfdex1; 07-12-2003, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dfdex1
          Thats crazy Eone, thats like saying "Gee my gear aint going to protect me from a flashover so why bother wearing it at all in a fire."

Well outside of your Backdraft scenerio,yes they will protect you by slowing down and absorbing the energy of the object. Chances are its the small things that are going to get you rather than a 55 gallon drum just randomly explodeing at you.

You been talking bout mikey alittle to long I think your getting down to his level.

ok dex I never said a 55 gallon drum im saying something like a 6" by 6" peice of steel flying in your face, those goggles wont hold up.And The not wearing your gear is very irrevelant to what I said. dex have u seen backdraft?? ok so lets not use an explosion as an example how about your doing an interior search and the roof collapses on you, wood boards and beams go right into your face.or your on the nozzle you let go and it comes back and hits u in the face.or your walking on a fire scene and someone has a 6' pike pole and they turn around and hit you in the face.the goggles arent gonna stop any of that.

ha ha ha your funny dex .I havent stooped that low yet. but i sense im close haha.

Comment

Eone,just be glad you not a police explorer here or I would ADZE you up good!
            Attached Files

Comment

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
              Attached Files

Comment

How about this suggestion? The object is safety here. Wear what ever your issued (or bought) correctly and when possible have redundancy. By that I mean a face shield and goggles or even bourkes and safety glasses, etc.

I don't think that bourkes are really all that useful but if you have them use them, the little protection you get is better then nothing and you can always grab some of those Cairns bug eyes or some ANSI safety glasses for your pocket to wear under them.

Personally I prefer tight fitting goggles. They keep smoke out at grass fires, glass dust (and hydraulic fluid out if a line breaks) at car wrecks, and ash and soot out during overhaul (Unless I need a mask of course:P)

And please guys, nothing will stop a 55 gallon drum from knocking out an eyeball, not even your crusty old bourke's! :P
                Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

i agree with FiRsqDvr45. safety is the main thing here. Even if a 55 gal drum explodes and a 6 by 6 pice of metal flys in your face, what everyone will be looking at is if you had all your proper equipment on.
                  "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Comment

I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU DIDNT BASH POLICE EXPLORER POSTS, YOU MIGHT NEVE KNOW THE CONNECTIONS THAT SOMEONE READING THIS MIGHT HAVE.

THANKS, THREAD POSTER EXP VOL

Comment

Ummm ok thier chief that police explorer happens to be my best freind and we work great with our police explorers-----even though we got the cooler stuff,aint that right matt1984!.

Comment

Like has been said, wear your protective equipment. And I don't care what you are wearing if something is propelled at a high rate of speed at your head, goggles and things really are not going to help.
                        AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

HAHA

I find it so funny that all of you guys are so worried about what looks better! Usually it would be the other way around, being that I am the girl here lol.. but it's on a call that you have to wear it.. so to me it doesn't much matter what it looks like, just how it works. Besides, how do you think you look with all of the gear all on and buttoned/zipped/etc? Anyway, I have only a faceshield because that was issued to me...
                          9-38 Level Green

Don't look at me like I can't do something just because I'm a woman!

The Definition of Success- Doing what you love and getting paid for it. Are you succesful?

-Tiffani

Comment

Sometimes ya just gotta wonder...

I think the point here is really that wearing safety gear is a must. Be it wearing safety glasses and bourkes (my first helmet), safety glasses and face shield (my second helmet), or goggles (my current helmet), they must be worn and worn properly. Sure, maybe they don't look "cool", but does scar tissue and messed up eyes look "cool"? The thing that really got me was looking at and putting on a pair of safety glasses that had a piece of metal protruding from them. The point of the metal was about a centimeter from the wearer's eye when it stopped because of the resistence from the glasses. The guy who had been wearing them was wearing them for the first time at his job to humor his father. I don't want to think about what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing them.

Sure, goggles, safety glasses, bourkes, or face shields won't stop everything, but they'll stop quite a lot. From my experience... they stop a lot. You might not even realize what they're stopping, but they'll do their job if you wear em properly.

Comment

Again, just answering the question...

I currently have a 3" face shield. My new (ordered) helmet has flipdowns.

Comment

oh boy..

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...