Clear All

• MVFD81
    replied
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Originally posted by cwamole
    Hey I am a fire newbie also so dont worry about that...I still have missed trucks about the gettin gear issue... and with the minitor 3's try not to get them wet cause they dont like that... and I also heard with any Minitor pager to turn it off near a gas leak cause it ruins the guts in them..never knew if this happened or not so...?
    I think the idea behind turning it off at a gas leak is so you don't cause an explosion and level the neigborhood. Chemicals will cause damage whether the device is turned on or not.

These things cost about $400.00. If you are going to run down the road in a hurricane, falling on your rear, it should be in a case.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    Thanks.

Thanks for all of your advice. Mike F.

Leave a comment:

• cwamole
    replied
    Hey I am a fire newbie also so dont worry about that...I still have missed trucks about the gettin gear issue... and with the minitor 3's try not to get them wet cause they dont like that... and I also heard with any Minitor pager to turn it off near a gas leak cause it ruins the guts in them..never knew if this happened or not so...?

Leave a comment:

• Armyfirerescue
    replied
    Hey Mike, before I say anything, let me tell you that I am not lecturing, just sharing some slightly experienced advice. Back when I was a junior, I had to run or ride a bike to the station for calls. I learned first hand that running in the station isn't a good idea. I was running in for a call, the engine had allready left, and I was hoping to catch the tower, I ran in through the open engine bay door, right through a puddle the engine had left (leaky tank), and as I went to stop at my gear rack, I slipped and fell right on my behind. Luckily, the only injury I suffered was a very bruised ego, and a slight pain in my butt (literally). It could have been worse, I could have hit my head on the heating vents we have right under our racks, then I would have been no help to anybody, and I'd need people to stay at my station to attend to me, which would have cut down on the amount of members at the call. Suffice it to say that I took a fair amount of ribbing at the firehouse for a while after that. Nobody needs that, and you really don't need an injury. While I understand your enthusiasm, because I was that way before I saw my first good job, you need to stop and take a breath, think before you act. If you had missed that rescue, would it have been that bad? There will be other calls, believe me, that you'll want to go on even more than that one. Also, on the whole pager issue, I know of a company in our area that has minitor III's and they require members to use a case. You might want to check with your FD. If my pager is broken, it's my fault, and I'll have to pay for it. Not something you need to worry about, especially as an explorer/cadet/jr ff. You don't have money to spare like that. I don't even have the money to spare like that. Well, I hope you've taken to my advice, and again, not trying to lecture at all. Stay safe, and enjoy your time as an explorer, you may be at the bottom of the food chain now, but that has it's advantages.

Stay safe brothers (and sisters)

Matt

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    Really?

I will email you my address if you are really willing to send me the case and yes I'll use it in the rain.

Leave a comment:

• mdoddsjffhnfc
    replied
    lol

I'm going to be getting a new pager soon, meaning a new case. If you need it, i may be able to send you my old one.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    I would

I would if I knew where it was.

Leave a comment:

• mdoddsjffhnfc
    replied
    yo Mike, just use the case when it's raining. You dont have to use it all the time. Thats what i do anyway.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    None Taken

No offense was taken. Yes I did get a case with my pager but I didnt like it so I dont use it.

Leave a comment:

• mdoddsjffhnfc
    replied
    hey, i was just stating that maybe he should have a case for his pager. It will help to keep it dry. I dont have the intention to harass his, he has been harassed enough.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    I never noticed that until just now.

Leave a comment:

• Dushore5741
    replied
    Hey, don't harass the kid! Everyone ruins a pager! I've dropped mine in port-a-ponds, the shower, a foam tub, off the truck... It still works. Anyway.. All fire apparatus must have safety belts. If they aren't there, maybe it's not some place you should be riding. Safety first. eh?
    Last edited by Dushore5741; 07-21-2003, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• NatchezFD
    replied
    Michael

I am new to Firehouse's forum's but have been a career firefighter for over 21 yrs and am now serving as Fire Chief for our newest county VFD for almost a year. I've also been involved for several years with our other county VFD's but I just don't happen to live in their "district".

One of the main topics I discuss with new and propective volunteers is safety. Your safety is the (and should be with any department) utmost concern along with all others responding.

We all understand your desire and enthusiasm. We were all rookies at one time. "Suiting Up" before the apparatus leaves the station should be mandatory for safety's sake.

Just slow down and take a breath.

(Edit) And hang in there.
    Last edited by NatchezFD; 07-13-2003, 08:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X