Music Radios on Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taken the wrong way

I didnt mean it like that. If your engine has a radio on it thats great have fun with it. Thats all I'm saying about this.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Comment

rightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ttttt....
      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

uh huh sureeeeee!!!! we all believe you.

Comment

On the Harbor masters 25' boat we got a am/fm/tape it was nice on the 4th.
          You it would kind of be odd if the radio was on as you were responding to a car accident and the song Highway to the danger zone from Top Gun came on.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoddsjffhnfc
            But lets say your responding into a Dwelling that just went All Hands and the OIC is giving you an order over the radio, however, you're too busy laughing to hear the order thus meaning you can't do what you were ordered to do. Lets say you were ordered to hit the hydrant 2 blocks down, but you blow right by it. Thats a critical water supply that will now take longer to get established.
            Ya know what guys, I've finally realized it ... mdoddsjffhnfc (holy long name, Batman) is right. In fact, as a result, we are changing our SOG's to read as follows:
            Upon response to all calls for assistance, whether emergency or non-emergency, or whether the piece of fire apparatus is actually going to a call for assistance, even if you're out for driver training, or in a parade, or, well now that I think about it, this goes for all responding personnel, or rather all personnel, whether in a piece of fire apparatus, or in their POV, even if you're just going to the grocery store, all personnel shall remain straight-faced, face forward at all times (with the exception of drivers and officers to look both ways before crossing a street), and by no means, and under no circumstances, without exception, should anyone listen to a radio (the AM/FM kind, or a tape or CD, or 8 track (although I'm guessing that not's really an issue)). These strict guidelines should reinforce the fact that all personnel, in all situations, should be completely and totally, 100% prepared to listen to the dispatch radio should a call for assistance be transmitted, or an assignment given. Should you not follow this guideline, you could be responding into a Dwelling that just went All Hands and the OIC is giving you an order over the radio, however, you're too busy laughing to hear the order thus meaning you can't do what you were ordered to do. Lets say you were ordered to hit the hydrant 2 blocks down, but you blow right by it. Thats a critical water supply that will now take longer to get established (example courtesy of mdoddsjffhnfc of the Firehouse.com forums).
            I suggest you all do the same.

Stay Safe

Comment

Now that I have to laugh that. Nice 1 PA, i'll give you that.

Ok, i can see that i've made a total *** of myself. I had a feeling when i started this thread that this would happen. I guess i'm just old-fashioned (a 16 year old junior FF...old-fashioned?) Hell, there have been times that i wish that we had a radio on the truck, and we've actually looked into getting a radio installed. It would cost too much.
              Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
              "GOOD GAME!"

Comment

Good....

Originally posted by mdoddsjffhnfc
                Now that I have to laugh that. Nice 1 PA, i'll give you that.

Ok, i can see that i've made a total *** of myself. I had a feeling when i started this thread that this would happen. I guess i'm just old-fashioned (a 16 year old junior FF...old-fashioned?) Hell, there have been times that i wish that we had a radio on the truck, and we've actually looked into getting a radio installed. It would cost too much.
                Dude....nice mea culpa. Later!

-Devil
                Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Comment

Now I dont know about you... but going somewhere in a truck without talking, (or listening to a radio) or cracking some small Clinton jokes would be pretty intense. And to an extent your firefighters shoulod be relaxed until they get there. Once they get there its going to be hard enough, so there is nothing wrong in my opinion, with a little jokin around.

But its all about being properly tuned. Now I can be laughing, not hysterically, and if someone calls my truck, Im on it. We tell some little jokes here and there because a silent ride to a fire can just be horrible. But we do control ourselves most definately and we dont tell any real big gut busters on the way to a call. Just somethin to lighten the mood.

And hey my policy is find the max volume in which you can operate in a parade, and still pay complete attention. Then turn it down half way, that works well. But hey if your trucks dont have a radio, atleast try to always have two people in it, that way you can kind of talk.

Someone smart once said, "Radios are for the lonely man."

If you have two people in the truck, turn down the radio and talk. Its good bonding time between members, and that can be very good.
                  Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
                  Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
                  Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Comment

You're spot on PAVolunteer! LMAO
                    Luke

Comment

The only truck that has a radio tuner in it is our GMC Sierra, because it was not manufactured to be a Fire Appuratus, but when we bought it and made it into our Brush Truck, the radio stayed in. On occasion when nothing can be done and we are sitting in that truck, we've been known to turn it on. But never on the way to a call, or when we are actually doing something.
                      Last edited by MFDExplorer51; 07-08-2003, 11:18 AM.
                      IACOJ

Comment

We have a music radio on the ladder we want to but more in the engines
                        Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
                        Gloucester County
                        New Jersey

Comment

The next time a lifetime, retired member, who faithfully served the department for 50 years passes away, I'll tell the family, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

That firefighter that worked his a** of for 50 years deserves a full honors burrial. You have to be pretty cold and low to say that to a family. He earned that final ride to his resting space. And it is not entertainment its a funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by expvol
                            The next time a lifetime, retired member, who faithfully served the department for 50 years passes away, I'll tell the family, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

That firefighter that worked his a** of for 50 years deserves a full honors burrial. You have to be pretty cold and low to say that to a family. He earned that final ride to his resting space. And it is not entertainment its a funeral.

You do know that PA was giving examples to mike about how firetrucks are not just used to transport fireman around??

Comment

Even if we had a music radio on truck one, we could not hear it anyway over the engine, the wind coming in through the windows, the Q2B, the airhorns or the radio.
                              No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Comment

Originally posted by expvol
                                See EoneTiller's post.

Oh, and feel free to attach my name to my quotes. My posts are under my name for a reason.

Stay Safe

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X