No announcement yet.

Music Radios on Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a radio in our engine. Its on most of the time when we take the truck to get inspected, details, parades, and all that other stuff. I dont have a problem if someone is neccessarily listening to it enroute, as long as it is low. And to the best of my knowledge the speakers only work in the back. Its used more for background noise.

But I have heard of some departments that have it worked that once you hit the master of the emergency equipment the radio loses power. I dont know how its done but I know some departments have made that comment before when we were talking about radios.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Comment

Originally posted by EoneTiller
      what dex not in the mood to do a lil bit of arguing??
      Ehhh Argueing with Mike that he is immature or whatever wont get my lawn cut faster torrmorow,it wont help me drag hose any better,it wont make my hamburgers cook faster,in fact it wont do much of anything really. Mike asked for my advice and I gave it,getting into a arguement over something as petty as this wont solve anything.
      Last edited by dfdex1; 07-03-2003, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Re: NO!

Originally posted by MVFD81
        Fire Engines dont need Music radios. They are for transporting firemanto and from scenes and for fighting fires not for entertainment.
        Great ... from now on then, I'll tell every little kid who wants to climb in the back of the engine, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

Any time someone wants to take a picture of our apparatus, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the little league team that we sponsor wants the engine to come to their last game, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the hospital wants an engine to come to their charity event to support the children's burn center, I'll tell them, sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

The next parade that comes up, I'll tell the crew, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

The next time a lifetime, retired member, who faithfully served the department for 50 years passes away, I'll tell the family, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

What else can we rule out?

Stay Safe

Comment

We have stereos/CD players in almost every vehicle so we must be in trouble of not "having a serious attitude when responding". I will strictly patrol myself and my partners so that we don't get the wrong "feeling" enroute and may god strike us down if either of us tells a joke or cracks a smile during a response. I just love it when some youngster feels the need to tell forum members how we should act or respond, rather amusing.

Long and short, if you are not mature enough to know how and when to use a stereo in a fire or medic unit then you are not mature enough to be riding in it in the first place.

Be Safe this holiday, and may all your fingers remain in place as you celebrate!
          Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

Re: Re: NO!

Originally posted by PAVolunteer

Great ... from now on then, I'll tell every little kid who wants to climb in the back of the engine, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

Any time someone wants to take a picture of our apparatus, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the little league team that we sponsor wants the engine to come to their last game, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the hospital wants an engine to come to their charity event to support the children's burn center, I'll tell them, sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

The next parade that comes up, I'll tell the crew, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

The next time a lifetime, retired member, who faithfully served the department for 50 years passes away, I'll tell the family, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

Stay Safe
            PA....Jeez, man you forgot to write: RANT MODE ON!!! (BTW..I agree with you completely!!)

Also...

Well, atleast you know the stereo will work when the engine breaks down... then again, that might even draw too much power for the KME!

Just kiddin', Devil
            OUCH!!!! That's gonna leave a mark!!

Stay Safe and Have a Good Fourth, buddy!!

-Devil
            Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Comment

I agree completley but there is still alot of time spent driving around to get things, driving back to the station, getting moved up. The music would beable to remove the dull atmosphere. There are alot of ambulances in my county that are puting music in and it truly helps the atmosphere when not responding.

Comment

Much like 'Devil said my KME has a CD player. The Chief asked about getting taken out and they said it would cost about $200. So needles to say....its still in the truck. And our you have to turn on all the time, so its off during a response because we have better things to do than turn the radio on.

And we have had NO problems with either of our KME's. As opposed to our Pierce and our neighbors multiple probs with thier EONE. But hey as long as its RED and it hauls water who cares who makes it?
                AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by FiRsqDvr45
                  We have stereos/CD players in almost every vehicle so we must be in trouble of not "having a serious attitude when responding". I will strictly patrol myself and my partners so that we don't get the wrong "feeling" enroute and may god strike us down if either of us tells a joke or cracks a smile during a response. I just love it when some youngster feels the need to tell forum members how we should act or respond, rather amusing.
                  well, i've cracked a couple jokes while in the cab, i'll admit it. But lets say your responding into a Dwelling that just went All Hands and the OIC is giving you an order over the radio, however, you're too busy laughing to hear the order thus meaning you can't do what you were ordered to do. Lets say you were ordered to hit the hydrant 2 blocks down, but you blow right by it. Thats a critical water supply that will now take longer to get established.

There are times for jokes, and there are times to be serious. Maybe you'll find this rather amusing
                  Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
                  "GOOD GAME!"

Comment

Ummm....

Originally posted by mdoddsjffhnfc

well, i've cracked a couple jokes while in the cab, i'll admit it. But lets say your responding into a Dwelling that just went All Hands and the OIC is giving you an order over the radio, however, you're too busy laughing to hear the order thus meaning you can't do what you were ordered to do. Lets say you were ordered to hit the hydrant 2 blocks down, but you blow right by it. Thats a critical water supply that will now take longer to get established.

There are times for jokes, and there are times to be serious. Maybe you'll find this rather amusing
                    Sometimes it's just better to not say anything. Do you really, seriously, think that the people posting to this thread are listening to Howard Stern or telling fart jokes on the way to an All Hands?? Seriously, I have read the gamut of posts in this forum in the hopes of helping the juniors and cadets in my station come up with new and interesting things to do and train on.

To sit here and think that you have the unmitigated gall to lecture some senior firefighters, some with tons more experience than you and I, about proper response etiquette. I believe that the point has been made, ad naseum, that there is a time and place for playing the radio and making jokes during a response. Yet you keep coming back to the same, holier than thou line of thinking. Please do not attempt to lecture, when NO lecture (especially from a Jr. FF) is needed.

Now, could we please get back to serious business? Like...does a Pierce self-destruct if the radio is turned on or does it just lose all power completely!!!

-Devil
                    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Comment

Well Devil you beat me to it. The young lad apparently did not decipher my sarcasm well. I should have been more blunt such as yourself.

"well, i've cracked a couple jokes while in the cab, i'll admit it."

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting help and curing the issue, good for you.

"But lets say your responding into a Dwelling that just went All Hands and the OIC is giving you an order over the radio, however, you're too busy laughing to hear the order thus meaning you can't do what you were ordered to do."

Only say, Pavarotti, has the vocal talent to laugh louder then my units two way radio....

"Lets say you were ordered to hit the hydrant 2 blocks down, but you blow right by it."

Sorry, no can do, my medic unit has not a stitch of supply hose on it.

"Thats a critical water supply that will now take longer to get established."

All sarcasm aside, you do make a valid point that a primary and secondary supply are very important. I will give you that.

"There are times for jokes, and there are times to be serious. Maybe you'll find this rather amusing "

Again another very good point, however this thread has gone towards a joke and you don't seem to notice. It is a shame when guys like Devil come to help spread wisdom and lend a hand to learning and the find posts like "What if a propane truck crashed into a bus full of nuns that toppled off a bridge and landed on a shopping mall and you are in charge as a 14 yr old explorer and by some fluke no senior guys were there" thread. Some people want to see you guys (and GIRLS, Hiya Wannabe!) become great firefighters (and alot of us were Explorers and Juniors)but it is hard when all that seems to be debated are pagers in school and hypothetical situations that would never happen instead of things like help passing Firefighter 1, or learning how to start a Post. (Things we would be glad to ramble about with you all)

And yes, I do find it quite amusing. Would you care to come lecture my shift on response etiquette sometime?
                      Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

Absolutely lutan1

You are absolutely right lutan1.
                        Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
                        Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
                        Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Comment

Waiting on the power company, out maintaining hydrants, during inspections, etc. etc. We're in our truck almost all day. We have a cheesy AM/FM/Cassette (that no one ever brings any tapes in for anyway) that we can barely hear over the diesel and through our headsets, but at least it breaks up the monotony.

Our ambulances have them too, and it's real nice when you have to take transports out of the jurisdiction (which sometimes we may be driving for two hours). Try doing THAT without a radio. If you didn't have one, you'd be singing to yourself before long.
                          Michael "Mick" Mayers
                          Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
                          South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
                          www.sctf1.sc.gov

Comment

The new pumper is going to have a AM/FM radio on it. The only way we could get it on the pumper is if it was a weather radio. I see and know the reason for haveing it on the truck and i also know that it wont be on when we goto anything major(fire,MVA,ect.)

Comment

Re: Re: NO!

Stay Safe

This is like the best reply her... Love it... All you other guys have great replies but this one I am still roflmao...

Comment

Yea that is a best post on this topic. lol

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...