No announcement yet.

Department Issued Gear/Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EoneTiller--i have the res-Q-rench, greatest thing ever has a seatbelt cutter,window punch, spanner wrench, gas shut off, and pry tool!
    Whats the golf ball for? just in case you get bored at the scene?
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Comment

FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Originally poster by WannabeintheFD
      Whats the golf ball for? just in case you get bored at the scene?

yes of course you know maybe i want to go for a round of golf during the "big one".i think it was wfdjr1 or someone that said they carried a golf ball because when doing an interior search u can roll it and u can hear it hit a wall so u know where your going, and also to ventilate a window where there may be a possible flash over or backdraft occuring.
      Last edited by EoneTiller; 06-18-2003, 05:40 PM.

Comment

rfcmitch and EOneTiller - great answers.

One more thing to add to pockets, a good heavy duty pair of wire cutters. Drop ceilings will be a killer if you working near one that has collapsed.
        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

I've been taught to keep your self-rescue tools (wire cutters, utility knife, etc.) in your right coat pocket, so you can get to them easier with an airpack on without the regulator getting in the way.
          These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
          Forever in our hearts

Comment

Also most people are predominately Right handed. Plu the Regulator issue is only if you have a regualtor on that side. Mine is in the back of the Pack.
            AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Comment

First off, I think the ResQ wrench is junk, had one for a while it is now collecting dust on a backup engine.

Now as for Exporers on our dept(when we had them.) They were issued old gear, not useful for firefighting i.e holes and such. Boots if we had the to spare and old helmets mostly ones out of service, and gloves. they would get a radio if we had any or a plectron. They did not have lockers even though we have plenty to spare....thats something you earn. They are not allowed to have anything that has the Dept name on it for 1 year. After that they get t-shirts that said Madison Fire Explorer. And if they screwed up, bye bye toys!!!

Our rookie FF get a ugly bright green front shield that says Canidate and big Reflective "R"'s on their helmet. And they get all old gear until they have been around for about 2 years unless they can wear some we have now or they rip and do something to their old gear.

IAFF Local 3900

Comment

Ok so I will add that one to my list... Wire cutters... I also have to work on getting a cheap knife.

We hardly ever order new gear. When you spend more in 6 months on utility bills than we have in our gear budget... you tend to be a bit strict on that. Its ordered on the "Absolute Need" basis. You know that cant live without? I have had older than dirt boots for 3 years, they are like racing slicks on the bottom. I am finally going to get some new ones. No more slipping around on the road in the winter for me. Or wet grass...
                Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
                Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
                Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Comment

what is a plectron??
                  I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Comment

Originally posted by WannabeintheFD
                    what is a plectron??

im wondering the same thing.

Comment

What We get

Full set of Turnout Gear. Minitor III. We sometimes order shirts and occasionally buy jackets. We get the full turnout set our supplier is Globe. We recently got new Cairn's 10-10 Helmets.
                      Last edited by MVFD81; 09-07-2003, 07:33 PM.
                      Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
                      Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
                      Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Comment

Around here the Southeast PA area (Chester County)..I am in the process of joining a department as a Junior member and I was told that I would be issued a Pager (Minitor 3) full gear for training purposes only and I do not know the rest of the details but it is looking pretty good around here.
                        Cliff,
                        Junior Firefighter
                        Liberty Fire Company
                        Chester County PA Fire Staton 63
                        *Proud to serve!

Comment

what is a plectron??
                          Back before pagers, lots of FD's used home alert devices that were about 3 inches high, and somewhere around 8 inches wide and 12 inches long. They would emit a God awful screech when there was a call, in the middle of which an announcement of some type would be made. You could not sleep through it.
                          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

i think this is a picture of one!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Those are the really old school ones. We have some of the "newer" models. They are about the size of a Minitor 1, they can only have on Freq and their is absolutely no way anyone can sleep through it.

IAFF Local 3900

Comment

Here is a picture of my beast Plectron. And no... you cant sleep through them.
                                Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
                                Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
                                Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse