Clear All

• MVFD81
    replied
    I am still trying

I cannot seem to contact him about this issue

Leave a comment:

• mdoddsjffhnfc
    replied
    hey mike, did u ever bring up the paging thing with your chief? Just curious how that is doin.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    It is a Zetron

It is a Zetron in my station after all.

Leave a comment:

• MFDExplorer51
    replied
    I would pick it up and go "Millerton Fire House"

Simple, I can pick up the phones, because as on of my buddies puts it: "This is your FireHouse too.".

Leave a comment:

• rfcmitch
    replied
    Now I am willing to accept anyones answer here. If you tone it out, have them call 911 or whether you call 911 dont matter. Its how you want to do it.

But... there is a right way and a wrong way in this thing. I wont state my opinions any further but if you do choose the wrong way, be ready for some reprocutions coming your way from the chief, county emergency services director possibly, and various other people.

Now I would say that you should have a little written policy on this. For 2 reasons so everyone knows what to do. (whether to tone it out or not and all that associated) and to cover your but. If you do go what we like to call "Radio Freelancing" than you could end up in a bunch of cow dung if something goes wrong. And these days... if someone died at the fire, it could be pinned on you if you didnt follow policy.

Other than that, I dont care what any of you do. But if your ever in my county and do that(tone yourself out), it will be the last time you will have the chance to.

Leave a comment:

• fireboop3125
    replied
    In my explorer post we are not allowed in the fire stations without another firefighter or an adult over 21. but if we do have someone their thats a firefighter or over 21 we can answer the phone.

Leave a comment:

• firebabe988
    replied
    I love how we seem to change the original subject to rip on other people...

Anyway... at my station us junior's aren't allowed in or around the station w/out a senior b/c of insurance and bilaws-we don't get a key to the lounge or the garage either- but if the phone rings, I can answer it as long as someone else isn't in the office b/c then they just get it. Whoever picks up the phone answers with "Station 9" or "Level Green Firehall"... just a formal answer, and if it is an emergency, we can set off the minitors from our station, but if that would occur, there would be seniors already there, raring to go, and a commanding officer would call 911.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Re: Thank you for the encouragement nmfire

Originally posted by MVFD81
    Well thanks. I didnt say that there were kids burning in our town and god help us if there ever is a structure fire by the department. this is not Self-Dispatching I would call it more or less saving a life
    Ugh. Sigh. -Shakes head-

...I may just bring this issue up to my cheif... What I'm saying there is we dont get that many structure fires... Is that what they are called Zetrons.

Please, bring it up with him. Don't be disappointed if he tells you the same thing I did. Zetron is the big manufacturer of the tone encoders. It may not be a Zetron in your office but I tend to say Zetron instead of Paging Encoder sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    Thank you for the encouragement nmfire

Well thanks. I didnt say that there were kids burning in our town and god help us if there ever is a structure fire by the department. this is not Self-Dispatching I would call it more or less saving a life. Mdodds thanks for your support I may just bring this issue up to my cheif however we are long overdue for a structure fire in my small town of 8,000 ppl. What I'm saying there is we dont get that many structure fires. If I am correct the last Structure fire we had was in March. Is that what they are called Zetrons.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Self-dispatching when you have a dispatch center is up there with free-lancing on a fire scene. Follow the proper procedure for reporting an incident. You have a dispatch center for a REASON. Paging terminals in the firehouse officer are supposed to be a BACKUP and to make an occasional announcement. Not for kids to pretend to be a dispatcher.

If your 9-1-1 center takes so long to put out a call that children are continually being burned alive as you suggest, then you have others issues that need to be addressed. Self-Dispatching is not the answer to that. And based on your track record here so far, I wouldn't trust you anywhere near a Zetron or a microphone to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• mdoddsjffhnfc
    replied
    I can see where your comming from MVFD81. I can understand your logic in this matter. It's the way you said it that didn't sound right.

Have you talked to your chief about that possibility? Have you talked to him about maybe one day having to do that? Have you talked to him about the fact that if that were to happen that it could save time and lives? Bring it up to your chief, who knows what could happen.

Leave a comment:

• MVFD81
    replied
    Well what would you do?

If you just switched to 911 and they didnt know exactly where to send the department on occasion. Would you let the house burn while you called 911 from your station or emergency phone outside of your station. Not to mention that their might be victim entrappment. Now I'm sure we are not all idiots here. Truely, would you let that child burn while you dialed 911 when the thing to set off the minitors was right next to the phone. Or maybe its a mother it doesnt matter who it is. What would you do? Come On Now Think about it.

Leave a comment:

• ffdfireexplorer
    replied
    explorers arent allowed 2 touch the phones, unless a ff tells us 2 answer,there usually arent nee emergency calls directly 2 the station cause we are part of lakes region mutual aid, which is a dispatch center in nh. most ppl call 911 n get transfered 2 there

Leave a comment:

• supremedragon
    replied
    I answer the phone if no one is around. Usually "hello,then the fire station name and number"

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Well, most towns have a dispatch center of sort that recieves 9-1-1 and then dispatches the fire dept. We are talking about someone who happens to have the firehouse regular phone number and calls that instead of 9-1-1.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X