Advice for Juniors from the big boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for Juniors from the big boys

Tips/advice/expectations for new Juniors/Explorers from full-fledged fire fighters.

Listen more than you talk. Ask appropriate questions. Pay attention when you are training or having something explained to you. LEARN THE JOB. It is a never ending education. Don't be a smart aleck or an arrogant azz. Don't worry about things like a leather helmet, or buying your own whiz bang gadget or tool. Those things come later when you actually know what the job is about. Honestly, the 2 things to buy before a leather helmet, and only if your department doesn't issue them, is a quality pair of leather firefighting boots (I like Black Diamond) and a quality, good fitting, good dexterity, pair of firefighting gloves (I Iike Vanguard or ProTech).
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

You are responsible for your own safety. Older does not mean smarter or wiser.

Remember. Stupid people get old as well.
      I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Hey two questions for fully-fledged firefighters how can I learn the trucks better? and how can I improve the time it takes to get my gear on?

Comment

1. Change your picture 2. Find 2 or 3 mentors, and latch on to them.

2. Spend spare time going thru compartments, so you do not have to think much about where something is.

3. Bunkers, spare time practice, practice, practice. Do not go for time, just smoothness, correctness, and get to where it is second nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Your picture has nothing to do with it. Be yourself. Find mentors that you respect and are willing to teach you. There are also tons of videos on YouTube and other sites on basically everything you can imagine. Self study and ask questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel_F23 View Post
              Hey two questions for fully-fledged firefighters how can I learn the trucks better? and how can I improve the time it takes to get my gear on?
              The best way to learn your rigs is to go hands on. Open the compartment doors, take notes, take pictures, study the rigs over and over. When you can go to the compartment and know what is in them without opening the door you have succeeded.

As far as your turn out gear goes when you start out practicing remember slow is smooth and smooth becomes fast with experience. Repetitions is the only way to get good at donning your gear. Our in the time practicing.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader