Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Blue Lights as a Junior -- Parents Driving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Lights as a Junior -- Parents Driving

Greetings,
    I have been looking all over for an answer to this question and I am coming up empty. I'm 14, and a junior firefighter. The problem is, I live around 6-7 minutes away. I was wondering if there was any way my mother or father could drive me with a blue light? I understand that it is illegal. The question is, I have been scouring PA legislaton relating to this matter. The thing is, there is nothing directly about this that I can see. I'm not as worried about the how illegal it is, but more of the civil liablity risks involved if there was an accident. Does anyone have any suggestions? We mainly do QRS runs, and I most likely will never make the first truck.

Thanks-
    v/r
    Carter Rowe

What does your department say?

Also, go down and talk to the chief of police, and see what he says.

Lastly, drive normal speed and you will beat every one there and be alive.

Comment

The child labor laws have it outlined that as a jr firefighter that is not permitted. Now if one of your parents wanted to join the fire department with you and take the time to get all the paperwork put in to be a member and the fire chief clears them and they sign the blue light law paper that is put out by the psp then their is your fix if your parents are willing to drive you to the station then maybe get them to join that?s the best thing for you good luck love your dedication to want to help your department

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
        What does your department say?

Also, go down and talk to the chief of police, and see what he says.

Lastly, drive normal speed and you will beat every one there and be alive.
        My department stated the same thing as Smith271 recommended. My dad was an EMT in rochester, but he isn't interested in renewing his certificate because he simply doesn't have the time. I'm still trying to convince him to make the time. Thank you both for your responses, and I will look into both of them!

v/r
        Carter Rowe

Comment

Originally posted by smith271 View Post
          The child labor laws have it outlined that as a jr firefighter that is not permitted. Now if one of your parents wanted to join the fire department with you and take the time to get all the paperwork put in to be a member and the fire chief clears them and they sign the blue light law paper that is put out by the psp then their is your fix if your parents are willing to drive you to the station then maybe get them to join that?s the best thing for you good luck love your dedication to want to help your department
          Greetings,
          Thanks for the detailed response. Like I stated above- my dad was an EMT in a suburb of Rochester. He doesn't want to renew is certificate though, simply because he doesn't have the time. Like I said, it is just hard to get there in a timely fashion. The child labor laws relating to Jr. Firefighting really doesn't make much sense, and are somewhat vague. I think I might check with my Chief of police like fire5555 suggested, and just see what he/she would do in a situation like that. Once again, thank you for your assistance with this!

v/r
          Carter Rowe

Comment

Plus, do not know the laws in your state, but you are getting close to being able to drive. So stick it out and do what you can till you hit all the legal ages.

Comment

Man, you have a lot to learn. No need to go to any legal review on this one. The answer is a gigantic NO.
              “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
              ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'd definitely advise against this. For one thing, you're just a junior right now. You don't (or shouldn't) have an active function on the fire ground. The 30 seconds you'll gain from having people pull over for a blue light isn't going to make a difference.

But more importantly, you just said it yourself. It's illegal. The fact that you're even asking when you already know it's illegal can reflect very poorly on you and your department. Quite simply, a 14 year old has no business responding with a POV light.

You've obviously got dedication, which is good! We need that. But for now, slow it down a little bit. You've got plenty of time ahead of you. No need to go rushing into this half-cocked and doing something brash. Take care out there

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
                  Man, you have a lot to learn. No need to go to any legal review on this one. The answer is a gigantic NO.
                  Thank you very much,
                  I do have a lot to learn, I am very new to this. I tend to jump to legal a lot due to my current employment position at a law firm. I appreciate your assistance with this matter!

v/r
                  Carter Rowe

Comment

I know everyone has pretty much said all the points but I would like to give my two cents.

I've been a jr. firefighter for about 2 years now, and I know what you are going through, I also live about 5 minutes from my station and it kills me when I have to pass up a call because I either don't make it to the station in time or because I do not have a ride to bring me. Now I would love to deck out a car with blue lights but it just isn't rational for a junior to do it, or to have your non-department parents do it. Its ok if you don't make the first due truck. To be honest, there isn't a lot a junior can do that they should be on the first due rig. You can do just as much if you are on another rig. As long as you get to the scene you can do your job. I'm two months away from being able to drive myself. Like people have said, you have a lot to learn. The few extra seconds you would gain from the blue light isn't worth it if you get in an accident responding. One of the perks of being a junior is learning. Learn as much as you can now so when you grow up and get the perk of responding on your own with a blue light you have all the knowledge and you can actually do something, you have so much more ahead of you.

Stay safe out there.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse