gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear?

what gear are you issued as a junior in your dept? full bunker gear, standard helmet, pager ,2-way radio, ....

We don't issue anything to juniors. Just to Seniors.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
      We don't issue anything to juniors. Just to Seniors.
      That explains why I was given a bathrobe and set of dentures upon signing up.... I just thought they were trying to be nice.

As for gear - we have a pile of gear in varying states of condition in the storeroom at the station. The juniors are more than welcome to go through it and find any that fits them. Obviously, if for whatever reason it became needed by full members, they'd hand it over - however, we honestly have far more used gear than I think we'd ever have a need for.

No pagers though - juniors are allowed to ride along if they're at the hall when the alarm sounds and there is room - but they are not paged into a call.

Comment

Full bunker gear (usually the older gear with the exception of helmets which are brand new), we are issued pagers but they don't have the rescue tones since we can't go on those calls, and then we get the same uniforms as the FFs.
        "A Brother Above All Else" ~Glen Schade

"Those who volunteer to fight fires are people who truly care." ~C. Pulsifer

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Bmags84 View Post
          what gear are you issued as a junior in your dept? full bunker gear, standard helmet, pager ,2-way radio, ....
          we are givein full bunker gear a dept. uniform with an exploer patchtes we have are own masks and regulaters and SCBA's but those are keepted locked up at the fire acadmy and if things go as planed we may get are own traning engine to be stored at the acadamy

Comment

Our Jr's receive full bunker gear of whatever condition we can find around the house. They receive a pager, they receive a HT1000 radio, As We get HT1250's er whatever the new ones are. They get a 1010 helmet, unless they buy a N5A like the rest of us (All Sr. members have a New Yorker, it just worked out that way).
            Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Comment

Gear

We are generally Issued Coat,pants,boots,helmets,structure gloves and bunker boots. we have to buy hoods on out own

Comment

We are all issued full bunker gear (helmet,structure Gloves,bunkers,coat,uniform) i wish we had radios and pagers but we have to buy our own which we do.

Comment

gear.

In Geneva we are issued a t-shirt, dress shirt, and used/donated turnout gear, we can not keep the helmets they supply us unless we buy our own which me and one other explorer have done.

stay safe,
                  Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by GFDexplorer View Post
                    In Geneva we are issued a t-shirt, dress shirt, and used/donated turnout gear, we can not keep the helmets they supply us unless we buy our own which me and one other explorer have done.

stay safe,
                    Nick.
                    Are you located in geneva in the state of NY, because im in rochester NY i saw that and was just wondering.
                    Thanks,
                    Nick

Comment

No in geneva Illinois.

Stay safe,
                      Nick.

Comment

Our juniors get full turnout gear and a pager. Turnout gear is usually older gear ranging in condition. Pagers are usually Minitor 3s. Once they turn 18 and after they have the right certs and training they are issued brand new gear and a Minitor 4 or 5 along with a Motorola HT1250. Whatever they purchase themselves they are allowed to use as long as it meets dept regulations.
                        "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Comment

We get full turnout gear, brush gear (possibly, will have to check) a pager and I believe a dept uniform

Comment

OK,

I find the fact that ANY Juniors/Explorers or whatever you all are...get issued ANYTHING AT ALL absolutely incredible!......

Bottom line..YOU all are little teenyboppers.NOT FIREFIGHTERS!..when YOU are 18 AND pass the testing/get hired on..then you can be issued with equipment.

There is NO reason for having anyone under 18 having gear at all...you shouldn;t be riding apparatus, NOT being at ANY emergency scene period..certainly NOT responding to "calls" at any time, let alone by hearing it on a Department pager or 2 way radio..(again it;s rediculous to allow a minor access to controlled frequency FD radios)...

This has gotten WAY out of hand. The original idea behind "junior's" was to be able to teach them first Aid, teach them the basics ( BOOKlearning) of Firefighting and allow for SOME hands on experience in CONTROLLED TRAINING SITUATIONS. Not to have a bunch of "super dupper "trained" Junior's running around a fire scene...God forbid someone gets hurt or killed by this idiotic "experience".

You know, in Ontario Canada they actually banned even the COLLEGE Pre Fire Service Co-Op placements...and those are FULL TIME, FULLY QUALIFIED College Students!.

So "kiddies"...save your money, your a wannabe, you all don;t need any N5A Helmets, hell you don;t even need gear..

So really maybe just keep it quiet..cause the FD's are full of people that are ****ed about getting Full Time FF positions cut and general understaffing...SO, how do you think they will feel if a bunch of kids are essentially "taking their jobs"?

You know, I;m sorry, but I;ve seen COUNTLESS posts about this kind of BS by a bunch of whiney kids, complaining about "not being ALLOWED" to do what THEY want, that THEIR GEAR isn;t as good as a REAL FF's..enough is enough.

A Career Fire Officer..and one that has seen enough of these kids crap..
                            Last edited by Northern Lights FF; 05-06-2011, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
                              OK,

I find the fact that ANY Juniors/Explorers or whatever you all are...get issued ANYTHING AT ALL absolutely incredible!......

Bottom line..YOU all are little teenyboppers.NOT FIREFIGHTERS!..when YOU are 18 AND pass the testing/get hired on..then you can be issued with equipment.

There is NO reason for having anyone under 18 having gear at all...you shouldn;t be riding apparatus, NOT being at ANY emergency scene period..certainly NOT responding to "calls" at any time, let alone by hearing it on a Department pager or 2 way radio..(again it;s rediculous to allow a minor access to controlled frequency FD radios)...

This has gotten WAY out of hand. The original idea behind "junior's" was to be able to teach them first Aid, teach them the basics ( BOOKlearning) of Firefighting and allow for SOME hands on experience in CONTROLLED TRAINING SITUATIONS. Not to have a bunch of "super dupper "trained" Junior's running around a fire scene...God forbid someone gets hurt or killed by this idiotic "experience".

You know, in Ontario Canada they actually banned even the COLLEGE Pre Fire Service Co-Op placements...and those are FULL TIME, FULLY QUALIFIED College Students!.

So "kiddies"...save your money, your a wannabe, you all don;t need any N5A Helmets, hell you don;t even need gear..

So really maybe just keep it quiet..cause the FD's are full of people that are ****ed about getting Full Time FF positions cut and general understaffing...SO, how do you think they will feel if a bunch of kids are essentially "taking their jobs"?

You know, I;m sorry, but I;ve seen COUNTLESS posts about this kind of BS by a bunch of whiney kids, complaining about "not being ALLOWED" to do what THEY want, that THEIR GEAR isn;t as good as a REAL FF's..enough is enough.

A Career Fire Officer..and one that has seen enough of these kids crap..
                              That's a bit overboard. I understand where you're coming from but the kid didn't complain at all. He asked a simple question, seemed more like he was comparing than complaining.
                              "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X