No announcement yet.

explorers doing tranig burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do your state laws say on this issue? That is always a good reference as to what explorers may do at this type of training.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by BULL321 View Post
      Hello Rob,

Good to see you Brother. I guess my Dad is/was a d*ck also. I've got dyslexia myself, and I have learn to cope adapt and overcome. I was speaking from the heart when I gave him the same advice that my father gave me. If you don't like it, I'm truly sorry, I've offended you. I guess I grew up in less P.C. times. As far as "All the programs in the world can't fix that without someone over his shoulder showing him what he cannot see." he must be color blind as well and can't see the red line under the words he has misspelled? If the poor fellow can't handle the truth then he truly is in for a hard time when he get's out in the real world.
      No offense taken bro and congrats on overcoming your problem. Dyslexia can be a hard struggle and it's good to see that your dad helped you out when you needed it the most. I stand by statement though that unless he has a coach, much like you did, it can be difficult to understand the errors on the screen, even with the miss-spellings underlined. Furthermore, I'm sure he has a difficult time in the real world as well and doesn't need any more problems from folks he needs advice from. Not to high-jack a thread but what did you do to fix the dyslexia? I have to admit that I'm ignorant on it. Thanks for the info man.
      -Rob
      Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by rpferry View Post
        No offense taken bro and congrats on overcoming your problem. Dyslexia can be a hard struggle and it's good to see that your dad helped you out when you needed it the most. I stand by statement though that unless he has a coach, much like you did, it can be difficult to understand the errors on the screen, even with the miss-spellings underlined. Furthermore, I'm sure he has a difficult time in the real world as well and doesn't need any more problems from folks he needs advice from. Not to high-jack a thread but what did you do to fix the dyslexia? I have to admit that I'm ignorant on it. Thanks for the info man.
        -Rob
        All my Dad did was to give me a "swift kick in the arse" and demand that I give my best at all times. If a C in school was my best then it was fine but if I was slacking then there was hell to pay. There were programs at school that taught coping techniques, which to be honest focused more on "staying on task" than anything else. When it comes down to brass tacks you have to realize that you have a problem and but never ever use "It" as a crutch or an excuse. You have to be willing to do what you need to do to fix or over come the problem. Do I still have a hard time keeping my mind from wandering? Yes I do when especially when I involved in doing something that I'm not interested in. Do I still write some of letters backwards? From time to time and My spelling sucks! Thank God for computers, spell check and my Wife. Hey Honey! How to do spell . . . . . ?
        Stay Safe
        Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
        - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
        -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

FWIW - Kenyon is 15y/o and ADHD, give him a freaking break.

He is just trying to learn something and fit in.

Ebberbody dont' spels wright and type rite eibber.
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
            FWIW - Kenyon is 15y/o and ADHD, give him a freaking break.

He is just trying to learn something and fit in.

Ebberbody dont' spels wright and type rite eibber.
            Priceless.

For our post, we are allowed within a live burn only if it is within the local burn tower, and a member of the academy staff is present. Being one of our Captains is an instructor, it works perfect, and we have been, in the past, allowed in.

I'm not 100% on whether or not we could enter a house, or anything like it (IE: Garage, office building, etc). For that information, you'd have to ask Dickey.
            Mike Kelly
            Altoona Fire Department
            Explorer Post 800
            Altoona, Wisconsin

Comment

It IS legal, it has happened many times before. Sometimes it's not always a great idea but like I said, it IS legal.
              Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

[email protected]

Comment

Live Burns

the legality is established by the jurisdiction your explorer/junior group operates under.

while the BSA may approve - if there is a "no - go" at any level in between the BSA and the dept (state, county , town, district, etc.) - the "non go " wins out.

Most importantly - you have to check and see what your insurance coverage allows - hate to have find out after the fact that there is a clause deep in your policy that says loid and clear " NO ONE UNDER X age"

Asst Chief - see you at OYFETA!!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X