No announcement yet.

Immature Explorers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yall voted for officers? That's just a popularity contest. You should have asked your advisors to appoint (or even nominate) officers. That's what my post did, and it's worked out pretty well.

Comment

ya

Originally posted by Explorer LT View Post
      I live in a city of about 80,000,We had an orignal group of about 6 Explorers then we had an open house.A group of about 15 new explorers came,there all in Civil airpatrol togather and all very Immature.The department had Post Officer election 3 WEEKS after the open house! I was going to go for captians postion but one of the new guys got it because he got more votes.My explorer post has only been around for about two years But I did get LT postion. They dont like any of us Original guys and its almost like they want us out and them to be the only ones. Please help they dont take it serious,talk,laugh,and they all make fun of the fire service and talk about how there going into the Marines.How should this be handled? Thank you for the help!
      our post has had a few prob also

trust me dont let them win i used to be explorer president i got tossed in to the spot after the one resigned next thing i new i was letting people get away with stuff but i quickly took a hold of things and cracked down to the point people who were not officers hated me some times me and this one explorer tout he was above me even know i was a officer he kept trying to give me orders so me and him used to but heads but ya i new i was doing my job when people hated me some times

i was suppose to be president of the post agen but the kid i away butted heads with got it and i was suppose to get lieutenant but i resigned 3 days later but yes we kind of have a listening prob in our post we got like 25 explorers expected to rise every month at least we keep getting 2 new explorers a month so were running out of gear and the explorers are fighting over who gears better and who gets what the current officers of the post arnt doing any thing about it but i tend to step in and stop the fight even know im no longer a officer and im getting sworn in to the dept in march on the 7th so I cant wait to get out of the explorer post

also out officers have to go throw a election every year
      Last edited by BFDFirefighter418; 02-20-2011, 08:53 PM.
      Explorer Lieutenant
      2011 - 2011 - 3 days
      Explorer President
      2008 - 2011
      Fire Explorer
      2005 - 2011
      Volunteer Firefighter
      March 7th -?????

Comment

Say what? Grammar and punctuation are your friends.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
          Our junior firefighter program did not have officers..

Is that really needed?
          Probably not. Though ours does have SOGs for officers to be implemented when numbers get high enough. I'm the current Lieutenant after taking over this year. Position is held for a year, and then it goes up for election again. It somewhat does come out as a popularity contest, but once you get the position, you are given responsibilities. It's more to teach leadership than anything else.

Original Topic--
          I'd say (as has been said already) go to your advisor, ask them to sit down with you to talk. Lay it all out, explain your concerns, and see how it goes.

I currently have an explorer that's causing some "issues". Mostly just talking and making comments that are completely un-needed, trying to make a joke out of everything, or even trying to "insult" one of the advisors. It's all things that you get in the fire service, nothing harsh, but it shows a HEAVY lack of respect towards the advisor.

I've had a couple talks with my advisor about him, and it's really been pushed aside. It's not much of an issue currently because he's usually not at trainings due to basketball practice being at the same time. However, when it does become an issue, it's there in full force.

But I digress - Talk with your advisor, if something isn't done about it in a reasonable amount of time, go a step higher. Something should be done, because if they act like that here, they'll get a rude awakening in the Marines.
          Mike Kelly
          Altoona Fire Department
          Explorer Post 800
          Altoona, Wisconsin

Comment

I am the Senior Instructor/Advisor for San Jose Fire Department in San Jose. We have implemented a promotional system based on merit and experience. The minimum requirement is 1 year in the program (6 months didactic, 6 months field), participation in our recruit demonstration, successful passing of a 250 question Captains exam (5 essay questions, graded on punctuation, spelling and sentence structure) manipulative exam ( SCBA 1 minute or less, 24' extension ladder, 1 3/4" hoseline shoulder load to 3rd floor of the tower, ropes and knots manipulative, etc.) and an oral interview given by active duty line personnel. You are then ranked by score. Responsibility includes assignment to a Truck or Engine, attendence of your personnel, appointment of a Lieutenant (or engineer in our case), safety of your crew on drills, organization of drill materials and fundraising. etc. So as you can see, responsibility is earned....not politically appointed. Just like it should be in an active department.

Comment

Much like sjmedic2003 points out, our SOP states that our "Levels" for Explorers are performance, training and experience based. Makes it "black and white" for us.....

How's your Post doing? Things get straightened-out (not looking for details just hope that the problem was corrected)?
              "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

It sounds like its time to crack down. dont worry about"being Mean". If they think discipline = mean than these are not guys we want in the fire service. if these guys honestly want to be firemen they're going to have to learn to be professional. if they leave its better for the program. and if you run into issues with the parents have an advisor explain why disciplinary measures are necessary.
                Hope this helps

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X