Immature Explorers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immature Explorers

I live in a city of about 80,000,We had an orignal group of about 6 Explorers then we had an open house.A group of about 15 new explorers came,there all in Civil airpatrol togather and all very Immature.The department had Post Officer election 3 WEEKS after the open house! I was going to go for captians postion but one of the new guys got it because he got more votes.My explorer post has only been around for about two years But I did get LT postion. They dont like any of us Original guys and its almost like they want us out and them to be the only ones. Please help they dont take it serious,talk,laugh,and they all make fun of the fire service and talk about how there going into the Marines.How should this be handled? Thank you for the help!

Seems to me that you have a discipline problem that may start with your Explorer Advisor. That's just an outsider-looking-in though...
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
      Seems to me that you have a discipline problem that may start with your Explorer Advisor. That's just an outsider-looking-in though...
      Well we have never had a problem till now.We have 1 post advisor who is a firefighter and I thnk he doesnt want to be mean. (although its not) but some of the parents attend and he may be scard they'll report him or something. Thanks for your response!

Comment

umm...you don't have any requirements that an Explorer has to be a member for a certain amount of time before holding office???...I'd also be going to the Advisor....

Comment

Holding somebody accountable for their actions is not "mean." Actually, it's quite the opposite; if you like somebody you hold them accountable for their actions. Just like a parent does a child...

As an Advisor, my 1st meeting is with the Parents. I tell them that when their kid(s) are under my care I will always have their best interests at heart, will never "set them up for failure" and will care for them the best and most appropriate that I can. I do this to take the "Parentitis" out of the situation (it works well for Public Sports also... LOL).

If the Advisor is not going to do his Job after you go to them, then go above them. Being an effective Explorer Advisor is not always and easy thing. Don't get discouraged, hang in there...
          "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

Originally posted by pasobuff View Post
            umm...you don't have any requirements that an Explorer has to be a member for a certain amount of time before holding office???...I'd also be going to the Advisor....
            Thats what Im saying! how can you enter a post and after two weeks be named captian! They need to make it a rule that you have to be in it for an amount of time. I think I need to talk to the advisor.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
              Holding somebody accountable for their actions is not "mean." Actually, it's quite the opposite; if you like somebody you hold them accountable for their actions. Just like a parent does a child...

As an Advisor, my 1st meeting is with the Parents. I tell them that when their kid(s) are under my care I will always have their best interests at heart, will never "set them up for failure" and will care for them the best and most appropriate that I can. I do this to take the "Parentitis" out of the situation (it works well for Public Sports also... LOL).

If the Advisor is not going to do his Job after you go to them, then go above them. Being an effective Explorer Advisor is not always and easy thing. Don't get discouraged, hang in there...
              Thanks for the input! Ill have to talk with my advisor.

Comment

a bit of personal advice

All good advice for the Advisor. A little advice for you and your "Original guys":
                If you don't quit, they don't win.
                Your maturity will lead the group whether you have a position or not.
                If they are not serious about the department, they won't stay around long anyway. If they are, they will recognize you and your friends maturity as the better attitude in the end.

Good Luck
                Kevin Sink
                Fair Grove Fire Dept.
                Thomasville, NC USA
                [email protected]

Comment

Your explorer post should have a schedule of its activities. Have one put together outlining the activities, such as meetings, training, etc.

Set the schedule and go by it. If you have explorers that are not behaving, participating or other bad behavior, they should get a talking, too. In the fire service, we work as a team. The explorers need to learn this now and act like a team working together.

What you may want to try and do for the election of officers, is qualify for your positions by testing. The questions can come out of an Essentials FF1 book or other fire service book. Of course, each member needs to have access to a copy. Since you are explorers, learning the FF1 requirements is needed, anyway. Even if you cannot be certified at your age, those of you that go into the fire service will need FF1 in the near future. Best to start now by studying the FF1 manual and practicing the evolutions (rope knots, etc.)

Have the advisor give you the written test (FF1, etc.). The one that scores the highest, is given the highest office and so on, until the positions are filled. Retest and appoint officers every six months. This gives the explorers an incentive to study and a fair way of selecting offiers.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Comment

Our junior firefighter program did not have officers..

Is that really needed?
                    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                      Our junior firefighter program did not have officers..

Is that really needed?
                      If you have a small enough program I don't think it is needed, but as for larger programs it might be nice to have someone to help out the advisors if they are busy with other things. As long as they don't depend on the junior officers to do everything as far as planning and training.
                      "A Brother Above All Else" ~Glen Schade

"Those who volunteer to fight fires are people who truly care." ~C. Pulsifer

[email protected]

Comment

Sounds like you all needed to have a probationary period for your explorers. Seems a little odd for a junior program but that is how a lot of companies seem to do it. You start on a probationary period during which time you have no voting rights within your company.

Comment

I would have thought most programs would use an appointed position that the adviser would choose the officers based on qualifications and leadership ability. We do not have officers in our explorer program that I know of but we only have a handfull anyways. Our explorers train with us so its not like an explorer captain is going to do any command or anything like that when there are certified firefighters and certified officers around. Talk with the adviser and explain your concerns in a civil manner without turning it into a click war. You do not want to split up the members and make working together akward, but you have a good point.

Comment

The way we do it at our explorers is, The advisors and officers all decide on who gets promoted and who dosnt that way its not a popularity contest.

Comment

WHOAHHH not good! Time for your explorer advisor or chief to intervene!
                              Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

[email protected]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X