No announcement yet.

Is this acceptable for explorers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see the need in bringing an SCBA home. Besides all the reasons stated here , I feel like there are some explorers who don't have the best judgement and could break it or actually be dumb enough to try to go into an IDLH situation with the departments SCBA and then the department is liable for anything and anything that happens.

Comment

I have a lot of experience in the Fire Service, especially in the Explorer/Junior FF role. I have been doing this for about 5 years and am about to become a firefighter. In my experience, I have never heard of SCBAs being "issued". It should stay that way, for several reasons.

#1. SCBAs are very expensive and are not a toy, like several people have metioned here. Although, you would be responsible for the maintence of that SCBA, it still should not be allowed. They're to expensive to just buy SCBAs for Explorers.

#2. Most Departments do not have enough SCBAs to spare. Like my department, all of the SCBAs are on the trucks. So if you issue Explorers SCBAs, we would be short SCBAs.

#3. SCBAs are very dangerous. They contain compressed air which could explode if over filled. Anything with a compressed air or gas is dangerous.

I understand your reasons for wanting this though. Like you mentioned, have them for practice. Training is very important. As you want to train to stay alive. Gear drills, sometimes referred to as Bunker Drills or 2 minute drills; in my state, it is a State Requirement for you to have all your gear on and breathing air in under 2 mins. So practice is very important. Even just getting used to using it and breathing with is imoprtant. Just go down to the firehouse to do this training when you want to.

As far as your other question goes, most of those situations depends on the Officer. Unless your Explorer SOGs/SOPs restrict you to operate in those situations. In my department, our Chief will let us go in and assist in Salvage and Overhaul operations after the fire is mostly out and it is safe. Most of the time, he will put us on the nozzle with a senior firefighter and we hit hotspots. Either when the air quality is deemed safe or not, we will wear SCBAs. Car fires are really the Officer's decision; if he says it is ok then we can be the back-up man on the line. Grass fires are really no problem, we get to fight fire on those all the time. Unless, it is an extremely windy day with rapid moving fire condtions then our younger Explorers have to stay by the truck.

I just thought I would give my two cents on that.

Comment

Well if you want to get right down to the actual answer here, No you should not even be allowed to fight a small grass fire or car fire if your truly an explorer post you would be violating there rules regardless of what your posts SOP/SOG say you can do. If your a Jr. Firefighter then your well I personally am not to sure i was an explorer for like 2 years and an Jr Firefighter for only 3 months as I joined 3 months before my 18th birthday. So if your an Jr. Firefighter then I would assume its up to what your states child labor laws say, and of course what your insurance company has to say about you being near car fires or brush fires lets not also forget the SOP's that your department might already have in place for you Jr Firefighters.

Comment

Check your child labor laws.

You'll find that you probably can't fight any fire.
          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

I know even members on the dept are not allowed to fight fire at ALL until they have completed 60hour entry level training. What we are doing with our explorers is showing them the basics, and making things fun for them, while learning at the same time. Only one of our firefighter leaders are a state instructor, so we are not really "training" them but showing them how things are done and having some fun. If you are a post through the BSA then I belive NO FIRE is the rule. Far as the SCBA thing, if you have to take it home and practice with it to become efficient with it you can't figure things out very well, or have way too much time on your hands.

Comment

I agree, my explorers were given the privilege of assisting with clean up of equipment, refilling scba, and hose maintenance. At the discretion of the ics they may be able to enter a house post burn and visualize the damage for educational purposes as a reward for their hard work. They also had the privilege of using fire department training simulators, gear, scba ect if they treated it with respect and returned it better than found. Some years this didn't happen because we had an immature group. Maturity and rapport has a ton to do with how much they got to do. But never! used as staff. Thats unsound practice.

Comment

HERE HERE......

I like that..."the PRIVILEDGE" of helping......and "NEVER AS STAFF, Thats unsound practice".....

Apparently some got it!.....

same as what ChiefKN said too....

My way of seeing it is this.....

Firefighters don't use SCBA by themselves right?......why?...safety concerns..the what ifs.....SO, why / how could any teenager be expecting to take "home" an expensive piece of equipment, and "train " on it?....

Not only that...but why should Juniors / explorers be worrying a bout it at all?..No Instructors....NO "playing"..simple.....

and Juniors / explorers don;t NEED any gear or equipment...

Comment

[QUOTE=Northern Lights FF;1271397]HERE HERE......

I like that..."the PRIVILEDGE" of helping......and "NEVER AS STAFF, Thats unsound practice".....

Firefighters don't use SCBA by themselves right?......why?...safety concerns..the what ifs.....SO, why / how could any teenager be expecting to take "home" an expensive piece of equipment, and "train " on it?....
                  /QUOTE]

I actually agree with you on that.

Comment

Our regular volunteers don't even have issued SCBA's...

Comment

There is no reason explorers should be issued SCBA. As for fighting small grass fires, car fires, and overhaul I do not agree with that either. Remember, "There will always be fires to fight".

Stay safe

Comment

Jrs in my dept. get a mask when they turn 16.

Comment

Originally posted by bfdjunior1 View Post
                          Wow, JRs dont need a SCBA

Comment

I agree with the prior thoughts, but I think that there should be an allowence for our youngers to start being educated early.
                            I work at a High School Career and Technical Center. The students use all the power tools, welders and other equipment that they may see on a regular job site.
                            I think that if the fire service embraced this, there would be a greater ability to allow for learning with "dangerous" equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by bfdjunior1 View Post
                              maybe its for trick or treating.
                              ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...