Can you go to any call you want to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you go to any call you want to?

Hey i wanted to know what calls you all are allowed to go on?

Every Explorer Post I've been involved with they members have been able to go on any call that the Unit they're assigned goes on. We do have limits and strict limitations as to what they can do once on scene. Our Explorers have to stay in eye contact with an Explorer Advisor no matter what they are assigned. Not all our personnel are Advisors so it works...

My .02 is that Explorers like to do the support jobs that Career FFs don't like to do such as rehab and filling BA bottles. So I'll plug them in here...
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

oh ok......

Comment

I have been told it depends on risk, and type. High risk: gun shot victim, stab victim, check a domestic violence patient, haz-mat e.t.c. We are not allowed to go on.

Comment

i run every call and do anything on scene except go into a involved structure, somethings require me to be with a senior officer but alot depends on your dept, your knowledge/time with dept and how trusted you are. As for structures i can go in on over haul and work hotspots and do overhaul.

Comment

Originally posted by KYfirefighter93 View Post
            i run every call and do anything on scene except go into a involved structure, somethings require me to be with a senior officer but alot depends on your dept, your knowledge/time with dept and how trusted you are. As for structures i can go in on over haul and work hotspots and do overhaul.
            Your post allows explorers to go in the hot zone?

Comment

im the only one that has but i run hose line on exterior attacks, go in with a 3man team with atleast one officer an do hotspots, yea, only thing i aint done is entered an involved structure.

Comment

My advisor would never think about putting an explorer in the hot zone.I'm glad because if something were to happen and I got hurt he and the department would be in the middle of a big lawsuite.

Comment

Originally posted by Cord T View Post
                  My advisor would never think about putting an explorer in the hot zone.I'm glad because if something were to happen and I got hurt he and the department would be in the middle of a big lawsuite.
                  With good reason. Explorers aren't allowed to go into a hot zone which would make the lawsuit all that much worse because the department would be operating outside of its insurance limits of liability.
                  "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                  sigpic
                  The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                    With good reason. Explorers aren't allowed to go into a hot zone which would make the lawsuit all that much worse because the department would be operating outside of its insurance limits of liability.
                    Thats what I was thinking.

Comment

If there is a spot for me on the rig, I'm going. That doesn't necessarily mean I'll get to do something onscene, but at least I'll get to be there and learn from watching.

Officially, I am not allowed to touch any patients or enter any IDLH situation, but doings things like overhaul or investigating smoke aren't out of the question.

It really just depends on what the officer lets me do. Some guys won't let me even climb the ladders during drills, but others tend to ignore the rules. Either way if I'm at the station or at an incident, I'm learning and that's all that is all I can ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer-14 View Post
                        If there is a spot for me on the rig, I'm going. That doesn't necessarily mean I'll get to do something onscene, but at least I'll get to be there and learn from watching.

Officially, I am not allowed to touch any patients or enter any IDLH situation, but doings things like overhaul or investigating smoke aren't out of the question.

It really just depends on what the officer lets me do. Some guys won't let me even climb the ladders during drills, but others tend to ignore the rules. Either way if I'm at the station or at an incident, I'm learning and that's all that is all I can ask for.
                        Thats what I am there for to, so I can learn all I can. I just don't think an explorer should be hitting hotspots.
                        Last edited by Cord T; 01-04-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cord T View Post
                          Thats what I am there for to, so I can learn all I can. I just don't think an explorer should be hitting hotspots.
                          Like I said, it's above my (nonexistent) paygrade about whether or not I am allowed to hit any hotspots, but there's really no better way to learn than to actually do.

I don't think hitting hotspots is out of the question if the Explorer knows what he or she is doing and an officer is supervising them. Granted, having to watch the Explorer might slow the crew down, and if that's the case the Explorer should definitely not participate, but if the Explorer knows what they're doing, then they are an extra set of hands to help.

An Explorer getting hurt helps nobody, so erring on the side of caution is always the better bet, but if an incident is easily manageable and the officer thinks it is safe enough for the Explorer to participate, then letting him or her do so would be an invaluable learning experience.

Comment

I just remembered that the LAFD maintains an Explorer handcrew.

Their description:

LAFD Crew 3 is a Volunteer Type II Handcrew managed by the Los Angeles Fire Department. Crew 3 is currently organized as a Wildland Cadet Post. Crew 3 Members receive wildland classes and hands-on training as well as career guidance to help with successful careers in the Fire Service. Crew 3 is managed and run by LAFD Members with extensive wild land training and handcrew experience.

http://lafdcrew3.org/

Comment

We can go on all fire calls between the hours of 6 am to 9pm during the school year as long as we are not in school. During the summer we can respond 24/7. As far as what we can do, it all depends on who you ask. Our chief is great about giving me a job, there are a few others who are also good. And then there are those who will say you can pretty much do nothing. It all depends on what is going on.
                              "A Brother Above All Else" ~Glen Schade

"Those who volunteer to fight fires are people who truly care." ~C. Pulsifer

[email protected]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X