• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    PaulC.
    Forum Member

• PaulC.
    replied
    Before I got picked up on my department, there was a guy in my group of firefighter hopefuls that spent alot of time telling everyone how great and capable he was. He also spent alot of time disparaging others in the group behind their backs and finding ways to undermine their confidence. In a not so short period of time, noone wanted to hang out with him anymore...

BUT he was an awesome FD test taker. He got picked up first...

I found out when he called me on Christmas Eve to tell me he'd got picked up by one of our group's top hopeful departments. I was renting a room, working nights, volunteering, and making a ridiculous commute to finish up my Paramedic Internship. I had no money, and I was several hundred miles away from my family who was having a hard time understanding what I was trying to do with my life.

Oh yeah, and he told me that I'd get picked up sooner or later...if I learned to be more like him. I wanted to puke, and throw things all at the same time...

Fast forward a few years. Everyone in our group had gotten a badge. We were all happy, career firefighters who had supported one another...except him...The department who hired him, fired him for a lack of integrity about a week before his probationary time was up, and I never heard from him again.

Moral of the story: Usually, the people who talk the most crap have the least to be proud of. You be you brother. Keep doing good and let the haters work their own lives out. You've got too much to offer to worry about people like that.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    Forum Member

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    I have never HEARD of paid explorers either, nor have I ever seen a HERD of them.

Leave a comment:

• Explorer Chief E. Kollwitz
    Forum Member

replied
    Indeed! When has a fire or a victim in need ever said, "Wait! Hold up!! Are you a career, or volunteer firefighter?"

When has it happened? Anyone? Please answer me if you have.

Leave a comment:

Forum Member

replied
    That kind of attitiude that was displayed by the exploerer in question needs to be delt with, that is most likely a supension on the Department Chief's decision where I come from.
    Does the person in question even realize that he, as an explorer, is a volunteer? I have never herd of paid explorers....

Leave a comment:

• CGITCH
    Forum Member

• CGITCH
    replied
    Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    My spelling is far from the best --- but isnt it spelled paid ?
    Affirmative ghostrider

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    Forum Member

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    My spelling is far from the best --- but isnt it spelled paid ?

Leave a comment:

• Ashburn_2011
    Forum Member

• Ashburn_2011
    replied
    Volunteer! You couldn pay me to do what I do with the FD. The amount of pride and respect i encounter is more than money could ever account for.

Leave a comment:

• Ry683
    Forum Member

• Ry683
    replied
    I Dont Have Problems With Any Type Payed Or Vol. I Just Think The Way He Desplayed Him Self Was Very.Dishonorable To The FDNY And To His Post

Leave a comment:

• pasobuff
    Forum Member

• pasobuff
    replied
    Former active volunteer, current career in fire service in more of an 'administrative-type' of job.......

Never heard of FDNY Explorers either.....not sure how many career depts around NYC have explorer posts either.....I've seen them mostly in volunteer areas.....

Leave a comment:

• mikeyboy411
    MembersZone Subscriber

• mikeyboy
    replied
    All career...

Leave a comment:

• Sgt.Keionte Tate
    Forum Member

• Sgt.Keionte Tate
    replied
    I am in a department with both paid and vol.

Leave a comment:

• Ry683
    Forum Member

• Ry683
    replied
    Im Not Sure. He Was Very Disrespectful. And Just down right rude.If you Ask Me Hes giving A Bad Rep To His Post. I Would Love To Talk To His Adviser. One Comment Was "I Fight More Fire than Your P.O.S Vol Fire Dept Could Dream About".Than Another Said"I Have More Balls Than Your Whole Fire Dept". I Mean Im Not Trying To Complain But What Kind Of Brotherhood Is That ?

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    Forum Member

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ry683 View Post
    My Self As well.Just Sick of FDNY Explorers Talking Crap About Vol Firefighters
    FDNY Explorers? Were are they located?

There are volunteers in the City of New York!

Leave a comment:

• Ry683
    Forum Member

• Ry683
    replied
    My Self As well.Just Sick of FDNY Explorers Talking Crap About Vol Firefighters

Leave a comment:

• CGITCH
    Forum Member

• CGITCH
    replied
    Volunteer auxiliary member

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola