No announcement yet.

Just A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I got picked up on my department, there was a guy in my group of firefighter hopefuls that spent alot of time telling everyone how great and capable he was. He also spent alot of time disparaging others in the group behind their backs and finding ways to undermine their confidence. In a not so short period of time, noone wanted to hang out with him anymore...

BUT he was an awesome FD test taker. He got picked up first...

I found out when he called me on Christmas Eve to tell me he'd got picked up by one of our group's top hopeful departments. I was renting a room, working nights, volunteering, and making a ridiculous commute to finish up my Paramedic Internship. I had no money, and I was several hundred miles away from my family who was having a hard time understanding what I was trying to do with my life.

Oh yeah, and he told me that I'd get picked up sooner or later...if I learned to be more like him. I wanted to puke, and throw things all at the same time...

Fast forward a few years. Everyone in our group had gotten a badge. We were all happy, career firefighters who had supported one another...except him...The department who hired him, fired him for a lack of integrity about a week before his probationary time was up, and I never heard from him again.

Moral of the story: Usually, the people who talk the most crap have the least to be proud of. You be you brother. Keep doing good and let the haters work their own lives out. You've got too much to offer to worry about people like that.

Paul
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse