• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your attitude.
    ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
      Your attitude.
      It appears that someone neglected the core Scouting training in his Explorer program...
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

what are you talking bout scout stuff for im a fire explorer not a boyscout i know exploring is a branch off of boyscouts but i left scouts for explorers

Comment

Firefighting and boy scouts have a few things in common. Well, boy scouts has a few things in common with doing good in everything in life. It teaches you:
          -Honesty
          -Respect
          -Hard work
          -A willingness to learn

All four are extremely important to doing good in the fire service.

By using poor grammar, spelling, and other writing skills, you show a lack of respect and work ethic. Yes, it takes some work, allot of work for some people, to get good written communications skills. It took me years of proof-reading everything I wrote, from forum posts to essays for school, before I could write something without spending an hour afterwards fixing it up to the point it was presentable. But when you put that effort in, it shows respect for the people you are communicating with. It shows them that you are willing to work in order to learn from them and to be apart of the group.

When you say that being a good firefighter has nothing to do with grammar, it shows a lack of a willingness to learn. You feel that you don't need to know it to do the job, so you're not willing to learn it. But if you look on these forums, the guys that have been doing it for years are always dropping hints to the new guys; one of those hints is to improve their writing skills, because it directly impacts the first impression you give to a future employer.

Keep with the explorer post, but don't forget that its not all about firefighting, its also about learning some good life skills.

Comment

Originally posted by ttexplorer48 View Post
            what are you talking bout scout stuff for im a fire explorer not a boyscout i know exploring is a branch off of boyscouts but i left scouts for explorers
            Like you said, Explorers is a branch of Boy Scouts. If you're an Explorer, you're still a Scout. All the same principle you should have learned in a regular scout troop should still be in play in an Explorer Post. It appears that they've been neglected.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by grecko.1 View Post
              Keep with the explorer post, but don't forget that its not all about firefighting, its also about learning some good life skills.
              Well said.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                Like you said, Explorers is a branch of Boy Scouts. If you're an Explorer, you're still a Scout. All the same principle you should have learned in a regular scout troop should still be in play in an Explorer Post. It appears that they've been neglected.
                I completely agree with the point you're making and I have nothing against it. But just a point of reference, if you're an explorer you are NOT necessarily a scout. You can be both, but by simply being a member of an Explorer post you are not considered a Boy Scout.

Comment

Originally posted by ATFDFF View Post
                  But just a point of reference, if you're an explorer you are NOT necessarily a scout. You can be both, but by simply being a member of an Explorer post you are not considered a Boy Scout.
                  As an Eagle Scout, Scouter, and former institutional representative, I'm afraid I disagree. "Explorers" (formerly "Explorer Scouts" and now part of the "Learning for Life" subsidiary of the BSA) are all a part of the Boy Scouts of America and are just as much "Scouts" as members of the "Boy Scouts," "Venture Scouts," or "Cub Scouts." They're all related programs under the BSA umbrella and all share common ethical principles.

Mission Statement
                  It is the mission of Learning for Life to enable young people to become responsible
                  individuals by teaching positive character traits, career development, leadership, and
                  life skills so they can make ethical choices and achieve their full potential.
                  sigpic

Comment

Just because we dont incoorperate boy scout principals into our Explorer post doesnt mean that we dont have our own!

Comment

As an Eagle Scout, Scouter, and former institutional representative, I'm afraid I disagree. "Explorers" (formerly "Explorer Scouts" and now part of the "Learning for Life" subsidiary of the BSA) are all a part of the Boy Scouts of America and are just as much "Scouts" as members of the "Boy Scouts," "Venture Scouts," or "Cub Scouts." They're all related programs under the BSA umbrella and all share common ethical principles.
                      As I stated earlier, I have no problem with the BSA trying to shove their ethical principals on explorers of any type, but as it stands simply being involved in an Explorer program does NOT make you a Scout.

What about the hundreds of female fire explorers across the nation?

Comment

Originally posted by ATFDFF View Post
                        As I stated earlier, I have no problem with the BSA trying to shove their ethical principals on explorers of any type, but as it stands simply being involved in an Explorer program does NOT make you a Scout.
                        By defiinition, yes, it does. Unfortunately, it apparently doesn't always make very good ones. Some just don't get it.

What about the hundreds of female fire explorers across the nation?
                        What about them? Scouting has had coed programs since the '70s.
                        sigpic

Comment

By defiinition, yes, it does. Unfortunately, it apparently doesn't always make very good ones. Some just don't get it.

What about them? Scouting has had coed programs since the '70s.
                          What do you mean not very good one....One day your going to open your mouth around the wrong person and they WILL put you in your place.

Comment

What do you mean not very good one....One day your going to open your mouth around the wrong person and they WILL put you in your place.
                            Someone may try but it won't be some know-it-all kid with a poor attitude...
                            sigpic

Comment

With that poor attitude it will not be you. Shooting off your mouth at a MAN that has forgotten more about fire fighting that you will ever know. Way to good Jr.
                              Stay Safe
                              Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                              - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                              -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

Someone may try but it won't be some know-it-all kid with a poor attitude...
                                DeputyMarshal, could you post a bit about your career? When you started, how long you've been in the fire service, what you're doing in the fire service now? Give him an idea of who he's talking to? Perhaps help him realize he should listen?

ttexplorer48, learn from what he posts. I'm guessing he's been in the fire service longer than you've know what the fire service was. If he says you have allot to learn about something, you probably do. You'd be wise to listen - its the best way to make yourself more likely to get hired in the future.

Just to give you an idea, the initial impression you've made on here is something along the lines of:
                                -Cares more about how he looks while in the fire service than what he's doing or learning (by wanting matching turnouts when coveralls would be more practical)
                                -Poor work ethic (not willing to put the time into writing out questions and replies properly)
                                -Lack of respect (by your comments to DeputyMarshal)
                                -No willingness to learn (by completely ignoring any suggestions of more practical alternative gear and saying fire fighting isn't about writing skills)
                                -Quick to anger (by your comments to DeputyMarshal)

You had stated that you had a good advantage over other potential employees, because of your education. This may be true, but you have a disadvantage because of the impression you give. You may be able to prepare for the oral interview and hide all of these things, but when you're doing the physical ability test, and someone makes a comment to you about not doing something properly, and you lash out at them, the employer is going to take note.

Take the opportunity to learn, and improve the way you interact with others in the fire service. It'll help you way more than any certification will.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X