Explorer Turn out gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explorer Turn out gear

Im the Captain for our explorer post and we have 9 great guys on our post and our gear is old, falling apart, and not everyone has the same gear. I was just wondering if any Depts had any sets of gear they would be willing to donate.

I understand your problem very well but for insurance reasons I'm not sure donated gear is the best answer. Fundraising or maybe gear from a local fire department that you know of might be a better way to go. Depending on what your juniors/explorers are allowed to do and how close to fires you are allowed to be, maybe forestry jumpsuits are a cheaper more efficient way to go.

Comment

Well we tried some one piece jump suits and they didnt fit us or our needs we have our depts old two piece turnout gear we all dont have same gear and our smaller kids are using the one piece and the bigger guys use the black two piece

Comment

Originally posted by LKQVFD499 View Post
        I understand your problem very well but for insurance reasons I'm not sure donated gear is the best answer.
        Can you explain why??

Donated gear is very common. My gear was donated when I was an explorers. What is the difference between buying used gear if you have the money and getting it donated if you don't have the money? Answer, nothing. The source of the gear is completely irrelevant. The important thing is that the gear is adequate for the tasks they will be performing. Which has nothing to do with donations vs buying used vs buying new.
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

I understand your point and there is nothing wrong with used gear. I was just trying to say that if they bought gear from an unknown source it might not be safe. That may or may not matter depending on who's oppinion of "safe" you are going by.

Comment

well i dont think it really matters how safe the gear is as long as it serves its purpose for Non-life threatening drills we cant surpress water onto a fire period in ohio until you hold you fire card

Comment

Originally posted by LKQVFD499 View Post
              I understand your point and there is nothing wrong with used gear. I was just trying to say that if they bought gear from an unknown source it might not be safe. That may or may not matter depending on who's oppinion of "safe" you are going by.
              Again, what difference does it make where it comes from. There is just as much beat up tattered used gear available for purchases as there is for free, if not more.

Explorers, juniors, new probies, fireground support people, etc etc all get used gear all the time all across America and elsewhere. The gear is either safe for the tasks they handle, or it isn't. There is no opinion. And none of that has anything to do with where it came from or whether it was free or not.
              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

thanks for understanding where im comign from......but still looking for gear

Comment

Not for nothing but, since Explorer's don't do interior structural firefighting, they don't actually need interior structural firefighting gear. Any decent set of coveralls would do.

It might make more sense to look into something more practical than actual firefighting gear for the sort of support functions permissible for Explorers.
                  "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                  sigpic
                  The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

I had this typed out once already; I think it got lost due to internet connection problems, but if it turns out to double post for some reason, my apologies.

First, on a side note:

You will be well served in the fire service, and in life in general, if you can improve your grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. Please, don't take this as a personal attack; you will simply find that if you take the time to put a bit of effort into your post, and make it easily readable, those that are potentially responding to it, will be more likely to put the effort and time into responding. And when it comes to almost any job, including one in the fire service, your potential employer may end up picking another candidate, because their writing makes them appear less lazy and more "learned".

On the topic of gear. From what I understand of the explorers post (we don't really have the same thing around here), explorers are not allowed into the IDLH or (in most cases?) the collapse zone. You've confirmed this for your state; no water unless you hold your fire card, which presumably the explorers do not. So, the tasks you can do, are limited to accountability, staging, rehab, and possibly traffic. Of those, traffic is the only one that might require something more than street clothes, and even then, traffic can safely be done without turnout gear - a traffic vest is probably more visible than black turnouts.

So, from the standpoint of needing it, there is little need. Which translates to, there are allot of departments that need gear for their active, responding members. Donations should (and probably will) go to them, before they go to explorer posts.

From the standpoint of looking good (which is about the only standpoint when you consider the turnouts being "matching"), many of our active, responding members have yellow jackets and black pants. It certainly doesn't affect their ability to put out a fire.

The enthusiasm you have for the fire service is a good thing; don't waste it trying to look good. You'll be served much better putting the time and effort into training, studying, and helping out around the station.

Good luck,
                    Grecko

PS> On the insurance side of things - I know several of the career departments around here were unable to donate gear to any organization that would be allowing it to be used by anyone who is not either certified to FF1 or in the process of certifying to FF1. The reason being that there was apparently liability, in that if the department's old gear was used by Joe, in a real fire, and Joe didn't have any training, Joe could turn around and sue the department. I don't pretend to understand why its a liability. At least one of those departments will also not allow 'civilians' to speak with their firefighters about the job while on shift, because there could be liability if the firefighter gives the 'civilian' some information and the 'civilian' used that information and got hurt.

Comment

Ok I am a senior in high school. I attend Penta Career Center for Fire Science/ EMT-Basic, which at the end of this year I will hold my Firefighter 2 and EMT-Basic certifications as well as many more. And I think that just holding them graduating I have a huge advantage over other potential employee's. Also to be a good firefighter doesn't mean to have good grammer it means to be the best you can and love the job you do.

Comment

Wrong ---------
                        ?

Comment

Originally posted by ttexplorer48 View Post
                          Ok I am a senior in high school. I attend Penta Career Center for Fire Science/ EMT-Basic, which at the end of this year I will hold my Firefighter 2 and EMT-Basic certifications as well as many more. And I think that just holding them graduating I have a huge advantage over other potential employee's. Also to be a good firefighter doesn't mean to have good grammer it means to be the best you can and love the job you do.
                          rlly, me 2, i going 2 gradu8 from ok st8 universitee in 3 yrs from now.

But really, I'll have earned my Associates of Arts and Science in Entry-Level Firefighting from Kirkwood Community College by the end of next summer, two months after I graduate high school. Just because I have done this two years before most people do, and while attending high school doesn't make me a better candidate. It shows drive and motivation, but it doesn't mean you are a good candidate. Is it an advantage, yes, is it a guaranteed hire, no. You still have to market yourself to the potential employer, and this is in any job search. Anymore, large employers used scanners that search resumes and applications for grammatical and spelling errors. The documents with errors are automatically thrown out before they are even looked at by a human. You never know who is going to be interviewing you, it very possibly could be one of these guys (and gals) on these forums. It is a small world, make good impressions. I can tell you stories about good and bad impressions that have been made by people which either made or broke their hiring. Some places could give two ****s about what certifications you have. You will be trained their way, because that is the "right" way (in their mind). What I'm trying to say is, watch who you get mouthy with, using good grammar and punctuation never hurt, and don't get full of yourself and what certifications have.

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                            Wrong ---------
                            wrong about what?

Comment

Originally posted by ttexplorer48 View Post
                              That's what he means. Spelling and grammar are very very important.
                              Stay Safe
                              Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                              - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                              -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X