Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PPV fans vs. smoke ejectors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PPV fans vs. smoke ejectors

    Hey guys,
    The higher ups at my department are considering getting rid of our gasoline powered ppv fans and going to electric powered smoke ejectors. I am looking for any information I can find about the pros and cons of each. If anybody knows of some studies that have been done I would appreciate a heads up on where to find them.

    Thanks,
    Chappy

  • #2
    Originally posted by Chappy6T View Post
    Hey guys,
    The higher ups at my department are considering getting rid of our gasoline powered ppv fans and going to electric powered smoke ejectors. I am looking for any information I can find about the pros and cons of each. If anybody knows of some studies that have been done I would appreciate a heads up on where to find them.

    Thanks,
    Chappy
    Both have their place.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

    Comment


    • #3
      Take some time and look into the 240 volt PPV fans. They offer CFM's that rival gasoline units without the CO. This is one of the biggest problems we have in my dept is our IC wants to clear out the smoke with PPV. Then the fan actually increases the CO levels and we're stuck in SCBA's for another 20 minutes.

      I know, most fire truck don't have 240 volts, but most are only one step away from it.

      A 10/3 power cord can provide 3,600 watts of juice. By adding just one more conductor to the cord, making it a 10/4, you can get 7,200 watts. Plus you can use a junction box to break it back down to 120 volt for normal items like lights and saws.

      Never spec another truck without a hydraulic PTO generator and a 1/4 extension cord that is at least 200' long.
      Last edited by txgp17; 04-16-2008, 08:16 PM.
      The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by txgp17 View Post
        Take some time and look into the 240 volt PPV fans. They offer CFM's that rival gasoline units without the CO. This is one of the biggest problems we have in my dept is out IC wants to clear out the smoke with PPV. Then the fan actually increases the CO levels and we're stuck in SCBA's for another 20 minutes.

        I know, most fire truck don't have 240 volts, but most are only one step away from it.

        A 10/3 power cord and provide 3,600 watts of juice. By adding just one more conductor to the cord, making it a 10/4, you can get 7,200 watts. Plus you can use a junction box to break it back down to 120 volt for normal items like lights and saws.
        Agreed - get the best of both with electric PPV fans. We have two electric and one gas powered on our truck. If the cord reel will reach, we will always use the electric over the gas and have had no problems venting with them.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not an advoacte of PPA or PPV attack whatever it is being called these days, but I think the PPV fans are a good tool.

          They are particularly helpful on service calls with burnt food and that sort of thing. I wouldn't like to have them removed from our vehicles.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChiefSquirrel View Post
            Agreed - get the best of both with electric PPV fans. We have two electric and one gas powered on our truck. If the cord reel will reach, we will always use the electric over the gas and have had no problems venting with them.
            Originally posted by Geinandputitout View Post
            I'm not an advoacte of PPA or PPV attack whatever it is being called these days, but I think the PPV fans are a good tool.

            They are particularly helpful on service calls with burnt food and that sort of thing. I wouldn't like to have them removed from our vehicles.
            Agree with both.
            Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
            -Big Russ

            Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

            Originally posted by nyckftbl
            LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by txgp17 View Post
              Take some time and look into the 240 volt PPV fans. They offer CFM's that rival gasoline units without the CO. This is one of the biggest problems we have in my dept is out IC wants to clear out the smoke with PPV. Then the fan actually increases the CO levels and we're stuck in SCBA's for another 20 minutes.
              If the gas PPV is properly positoned outside of the building, the minute amount of CO it produce pushing out the hundreds if not thousands of ppm in the building is a moot point, because that can be taken care of by opening up doors and windows and letting mother nature take care of the rest.
              Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 04-17-2008, 12:05 AM.
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
                If the gas PPV is properly positioned outside of the building, the minute amount of CO it produce pushing out the hundreds if not thousands of ppm in the building is a moot point, because that can be taken care of by opening up doors and windows and letting mother nature take care of the rest.
                Agreed, but our IC's fail to make the proper call and order it's use to clear out smoke and even light haze. Then we end up driving CO levels to 100 PPM or better.

                Maybe your Dept's brand of PPV uses a better engine than ours, but we always have problems with high CO levels, even when using an exhaust extension. Our Dept has 7 Quints and this is a consistent problem on each of them. Just because we have it doesn't mean we're good at it.
                The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by txgp17 View Post
                  Maybe your Dept's brand of PPV uses a better engine than ours, but we always have problems with high CO levels, even when using an exhaust extension. Our Dept has 7 Quints and this is a consistent problem on each of them. Just because we have it doesn't mean we're good at it.
                  Sounds Like few our older fans here... Clear the smoke for burned food or small trash fire then spend next 20/30 mins clearing CO....

                  We have one electric carried on the engine with all burned food runs... Section 8 apartments/housing got to love them...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We carry (2) electric smoke ejectors, (2) gas PPVs, and (2) electrc PPVs. Like someone said before; "they all have there place".
                    PGFD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This post helps the smoking lover. I am also a vape pod lover and use GV Lit herb vaporizer. It is a Cannabis vaporizer to utilize herb and weed. The GV LIt can be charged via the Micro-USB port at the wall USB adapter 0.5A. You must try this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Mance1956 View Post
                        This post helps the smoking lover. I am also a vape pod lover and use GV Lit herb vaporizer. It is a Cannabis vaporizer to utilize herb and weed. The GV LIt can be charged via the Micro-USB port at the wall USB adapter 0.5A. You must try this.
                        REPORTED FOR SPAM! Go kill yourself on your own time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm assuming by "smoke ejector" you mean an electric fan vs the box fans?

                          We have a mix of the three. The PPV fans, gas or electric, will push more CFM than the old-school smoke ejectors.

                          If you're comparing gas vs electric, you'll find the electric won't push quite the CFM as the gas. However, you don't have to deal with the fuel, exhaust, and maintenance that the gas units have with the electric. That said, you have to have a cord that's long enough and big enough to carry the power to it.

                          Comment

                          300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                          Collapse

                          Upper 300x250

                          Collapse

                          Taboola

                          Collapse

                          Leader

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X