Union to non-union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union to non-union

I work as a career firefighter on a non-union department. We have looked into joining the IAFF and one of my colleagues asked me if any IAFF departments have ever reverted back to being a non-union department. Does anyone know of any, and if so why they reverted back. Thanks.

Why would you want to?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I gotta hear the answer to this one...
      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Actually it occurs more often then you think. It happens for many different reasons. If you look at some of the new locals listed, they have their old numbers. Our local was affiliated in 1979 was SQUASHED by the "man" by 1980 and we re-affliated in 2000. We have our original local number.
        IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

The Boston firefighters were forced out of the IAFF after the Boston Police Strike of 1919 and union activity in public safety was banned by law. If I recall correectly, they had a really low local number (in the 1 to 2 digit range.) They reaffliated and became Local 718.
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

In 1976 we were going to go union. Then alot of guys lost there job. We dont talk about it anymore. Some guys here want it, some dont care. Dont really see any reason to be IAFF.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
              The Boston firefighters were forced out of the IAFF after the Boston Police Strike of 1919 and union activity in public safety was banned by law. If I recall correectly, they had a really low local number (in the 1 to 2 digit range.) They reaffliated and became Local 718.
              Pittsburg 1, Chicago 2. Decided by a coin toss. Don't know where Boston was but it wasn't 1 or 2!

***edit - now I see you said 1 - 2 DIGIT range.
              Last edited by ChicagoFF; 12-21-2006, 09:08 PM.
              I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by wilson10
                ...I am sure there are many areas the International can help a career dept. that cannot collectively bargain. I just am not familiar with them right off the top of my head. The best I can come up with right now is Political Action.
                Fairfax County is a prime example of the IAFFs success in the light of a prohibition to collectively bargain.

Comment

(My fat fingers hit 'Submit' twice, but I can't figure out how to delete!)
                  Last edited by Kobersteen; 12-22-2006, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                    (My fat fingers hit 'Submit' twice, but I can't figure out how to delete!)
                    Joel, maybe switching to decaf would help!

Some unions get decertified when they fail to pay their dues to the international.

Comment

Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                      Fairfax County is a prime example of the IAFFs success in the light of a prohibition to collectively bargain.
                      It has to be one of THE best examples.
                      IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

Originally posted by MikeWard View Post
                        Joel, maybe switching to decaf would help!
                        If I switched to decaf, I'd never make it home after a night at 22, Mike.

Zzzzz...

Comment

My local, #184, just reformed last Sept after dissolving several years ago. I don't really know the details...it was before my time... but by most accounts there was corruption and mishandled monies involving some of the leadership. Those issues, and a few other scandals, turned the rank and file against the local and brought it's demise after something like 60 years.

Hard feelings among more senior personnel kept reorganization efforts at bay for a long time. Many of the most vehemetly opposed finally retired, but the next problem was the rural Southern perception of all unions as tools of the Democratic party. It also didn't help that MS is a right-to-work state w/o collective bargaining, which made it tougher to convince guys that a union could really help them. Through the perserverance of a few dedicated members, though, 108 of our 120 sworn personnel are now IAFF members. The new Local 184 seems to be off to a good start, although I worry a bit about some folks losing interest in the long run.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X