X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Here's YOUR chance to be part of the process. From the IAFF web site
    December 1, 2006 – IAFF members planning to attend the IAFF 2007 Legislative Conference should also plan to extend their stay in Washington, DC by one extra day in order to attend an extraordinary presidential forum featuring candidates who will likely make a run for the White House in 2008. Scheduled for March 11-15, 2007, the IAFF will be inviting select top presidential contenders from both parties to participate in this unique forum.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for IAFF members to hear from some of the men and women with aspirations to lead our nation,” says IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger, who adds that the presentations of the candidates will play a role in the union’s endorsement process.

“I want to give all credible candidates a fair opportunity to make their case to the most politically active members in our union,” Schaitberger says.

The 2007 Legislative Conference will also include issue briefings on IAFF priority legislation and the annual congressional reception. Registration for the IAFF 2007 Legislative Conference will be available online in the coming weeks. Hotel reservations can be made immediately by calling the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Capitol Hill at (202) 737-1234. The discounted room rate for IAFF members has been extended through Wednesday night.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Originally posted by LFD2203
    Drop Article 15
    Or how about doing a better job ENFORCING it ?

Leave a comment:

• LFD2203
    replied
    Drop Article 15

Leave a comment:

• FF0525
    replied
    unions

Hello all, I'll throw an answer out there that may or may not be relevant to what was being asked. I've been a career ff for 13 yrs, union the whole time, shop steward for the last 4. We are IBT, Teamsters. Our state does have collective bargaining rights. Our dept. has been that way since the beginning of paid personnel in the 20's. The only reason we are staying Teamster and not going IAFF is insurance. We are the only personnel in our city not on the city insurance, and ours is ALOT cheaper. It's not quite as good as what the city is offering, but with the disparity in rates, no city employee is paying for ins. out of their check.

We may jump ship soon and go with IAFF, we'll get better ins. with the city, but we'll end up having to pay for a portion of it next contract.

Is there a reason the IAFF doesn't get a group ins. rate and offer it? The cheaper ins. has always been a strong bargaining point for us.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Good question Smoke. I do not know why it couldnt happen. There would have to probably be a split of American votes. Interesting possibilities though.

Leave a comment:

• Smoke20286
    replied
    There are also members in Canada, Why shouldn't a Canadian run the IAFF?

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Truck Skipper. I support Harold. But when a contested race for General President does occur, I would like to see someone from the middle of the country run. Whitehead was from California. Schaitberger is from Virginia. There is a lot of land between the oceans.
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 11-25-2006, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TruckSkipper
    replied
    For starters I would elect IAFF First District Vice President and former New York Uniformed Fire Fighters Local 94 President Kevin Gallagher to the General President's spot. Harold Schaitberger is OK but I'm a northeast guy.

Leave a comment:

• ekhaber
    replied
    I think the IAFF and the AFFI are doing a fantastic job. Harold is a brilliant, just check out the IAFF web site to see how very succesful we were, same for the state.

I feel we are a much more powerful union because of the recent victories.

March on Harold!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Y'all are quite the educators on union ways. I actually appreciate it, it's a shame my local doesn't do more of it.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    Directly from the IAFF web site

How is My Contribution Used?

Your FIREPAC contribution allows the IAFF to educate members of Congress about issues important to your profession as fire fighters and emergency medical personnel and elect candidates to office that support those issues.

During the 2003-2004 election cycle, FIREPAC contributed more than $2.2 million to over 330 pro-IAFF candidates running for Congress, in both U.S. Senate and House of Representatives races across the country.

While many candidates solicit FIREPAC contributions, not all are successful in receiving one. To be eligible to receive a FIREPAC contribution, candidates must meet specific criteria. For incumbents, FIREPAC reviews voting records on IAFF issues, weighs the difficulty of the race and surveys the level of participation IAFF locals have in the campaign. Challengers must complete a candidate questionnaire detailing their positions on a number of IAFF legislative issues. FIREPAC also assesses polling data, the candidate’s viability, the level of support from IAFF locals, and if applicable, voting records on IAFF issues at the local level.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    FirePac comes from indvidual members contributions. Not your per capita. At the state level our local does use part of our dues for the Illinois Pac. We voted to do this and its around 3 bucks per member per month.
    OK, maybe a misunderstanding on my part. I thought all PAC money when to political endorsements, not just candidates but bills, legislation, etc.

Didn't the PAC thing get changed a couple years ago, where PAC money had to be used as opposed to the general revenue? I remember some kind of stink over it, but don't remember what it was all about now.

Leave a comment:

• MIKEYLIKESIT
    replied
    A timely reminder

FirePac comes from indvidual members contributions. Not your per capita. At the state level our local does use part of our dues for the Illinois Pac. We voted to do this and its around 3 bucks per member per month.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by Tann3100
    Heard this asked before. If you come out against a candiate and they actually win which in most cases it is a real close race. Well the candiate sees this and then he would like you to back him the next time to pick up all the extra votes. I have seen this happen with other locals so it is not always a double edge sword. We just went throught that here on a state level our candiate won by 110 votes not much much he won. Beleive the other candiate paid alot of attention to that.

Sincerely
    Tann
    OK, two sides to every coin. I would like to see more money spend on the issues though. After all, why in the world does the IAFF need to support a candidate for state auditor when the money could go better toward other endeavors?

Leave a comment:

• Tann3100
    replied
    Originally posted by Catch22
    Politically: I'd like to see them reconsider endorsing candidates. I feel like it's a double-edged blade. If the candidate you back loses, why would the winner feel obligated to listen to anything you have to say? Back the hell out of legistation, bills, etc that are beneficial.

Heard this asked before. If you come out against a candiate and they actually win which in most cases it is a real close race. Well the candiate sees this and then he would like you to back him the next time to pick up all the extra votes. I have seen this happen with other locals so it is not always a double edge sword. We just went throught that here on a state level our candiate won by 110 votes not much much he won. Beleive the other candiate paid alot of attention to that.

Sincerely
    Tann

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...