Brother looking for some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jasper45:
    If you do a search on this web site with key words like "Hartford" you should find the jist of the story. Maybe to if you go to www.courant.com you can search the archives too.

The basic story line is the City of Hartford, not the union, wanted language in the contract preventing any member working for any other emergency service in an attempt to ruduce sick time. The union and the city negotiated in good faith and it got into the contract. The kicker was the members were given 5 years to comply. So any dept. could have time to make adjustments for their loss. Many suburban towns around Hartford tried to get together and make legislature to ban this from happening. Then they threatened to sue the city. The bottom line is it is no-ones business how the city choses to run its negotiations. The towns that were complaining the loudest could easily afford and justify a carreer staff if they felt they could not provide the service to their tax payers. The town most effected was Newington and had maybe 5 members to lose. Why this got so much attention? I don't know. Many carreer depts. around Hartford have had this in their contract for years. West Hartford, New Britain, East Hartford. But so many Hartford guys were volunteering this became a huge issue. It's still a hot topic today!
    Last edited by KeithA8; 11-10-2006, 10:01 PM.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

catch22:
      I started in a combo dept. that was mostly volunteer but has had a paid staff for about 60 years or so. This issue hits close to home for me because we had scabs volunteering there and they would go to town meetings and deture the council from anything we wanted as a union. ie: increased staffing, minimum staffing. These pukes would throw us under the bus any chance they got. Fortunatly most of these guys are no longer there.The relationship with the paid guys and the other volunteers was just fine.
      IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

Originally posted by KeithA8
        catch22:
        I started in a combo dept. that was mostly volunteer but has had a paid staff for about 60 years or so. This issue hits close to home for me because we had scabs volunteering there and they would go to town meetings and deture the council from anything we wanted as a union. ie: increased staffing, minimum staffing. These pukes would throw us under the bus any chance they got. Fortunatly most of these guys are no longer there.The relationship with the paid guys and the other volunteers was just fine.
        That's exactly the crap I don't agree with and see why some kind of policy need to exist, just not a blanket policy. I've never worked on a combo dept., only all vollie and all career. I have been around several combo's, and have seen things go both ways, vollies causing issues with the careers and vice versa, hurting the department either way. It's a shame that everyone can't just work to the same goal, whether on the local level or the national (IAFF, NVFC, etc.) instead of bickering. Seems to be all of the groups need to be a little more open minded to the other's plights.

Comment

Apparently most of you union guys don't know what Scabs are.

Scabs
          Related Entries
          American Federation of Labor
          Knights of Labor
          "Scabs" is a derogatory name for union members who refuse to go out on strike or workers who are hired by businesses to replace striking workers. During the late nineteenth and the early twentieth centuries, strikes were commonplace within the United States. Numerous unions, including the Knights of Labor and the American Federation of Labor, originated during this time period. Many of these groups' members supported strikes to gain improved conditions for workers. Unfortunately for the strikers, an abundance of laborers existed within the United States during this era. Many people, especially recent immigrants, did not have jobs. When workers went on strike, businesses could easily hire new laborers—scabs—to replace the striking workers. Often, the new employees were willing to work for less pay than the laborers whom they were replacing. Violence often erupted between the strikers and the scabs. Strikers were unhappy with union members who remained at work and sometimes utilized violence against these scabs. Strikers also commonly utilized violence and verbal intimidation against new workers as well. While working conditions dramatically improved throughout the twentieth century, strikes still occur today. Businesses commonly hire scabs to replace the strikers, and violence and intimidation still occur, although much less regularly than before.

Comment

Originally posted by SME3756
            Hey guys

I'm looking for some help regarding some of my local's members volunteering in other departments that have career firemen/union members. I know a lot of you are going to say "Don't you have something else more important to worry about?". Yes, I do. But this is one of the issues that I'm trying to spearhead for my local. It's even worse that some of our members are going to their volly houses and "bumping" another union member off the apparatus just so they can ride as a volly. My department is a classic combination system: It used to be all volunteer, and then in the 80's started to get a handfull of career people, and now we're up to about 400 career staff with the volunteer numbers dwindling fast.

I myself am not a volunteer, but please know that this is not an anti-volunteer post. This is a union brother trying to get some background and knowledge for a battle that I'm trying to fight. What does the International say about this? I know this has been talked about before, I just can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Is there any particular article that says union members should not volunteer where there are other union members or anything?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated
            Well I definately do not agree with this type of activity and undersatnd where you are coming from. I would research my Local Constitution and By-Laws if it states in there that this type of activity is not allowed then I would bring them up on charges within the union if they have already been talked to about the situation. Just my opinion.
            IACOJ
            FTM-PTB

Comment

I stopped posting on this forum because off all the anti IAFF people on this forum.

It is nice to see some strong IAFF members.

The IAFF is fighting to safeguard and protect paid, proffesional, full time fire fighters.

If you are a Union Fire Fighter who is a is a paid on call or part timer on the side you are jepordizing your Boards ability to negotiate your contractual agreement.

What you are saying is that on your full time firefighting job you want to make 30 dollars an hour but on your part time firefighting job you will take 7 dollars. Not to mention the danger you put yourself in if your hurt on your part time job.

I can go on and on.

Union firefighters be strong abide by your by-laws, unity is what makes us stong.

Oh have fun with your bunkers Chicago ff. I work in the first suburb to your west. We went from 3/4 to bunkers about 3 years ago and boy do they suck.
              Do what you can to avoid them, I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by ekhaber
                Oh have fun with your bunkers Chicago ff. I work in the first suburb to your west. We went from 3/4 to bunkers about 3 years ago and boy do they suck.
                Cicero? I think it's too late to get the genie back in the bottleon bunker gear. I have no doubt that it sucks though. I can't wait 'till we have to wear that horse**** gear in the summer. I really wish our union had chosen anything else to fight about, but what are ya gonna do?
                I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ekhaber
                  I stopped posting on this forum because off all the anti IAFF people on this forum.

Right, because this is a IAFF bulletin board so no other viewpoint should be allowed. Please, do get serious. There is as much anti-volly attitude on these forums as anti-Union. If you only want to read pro-Union viewpoints the IAFF has it's own website.

It is nice to see some strong IAFF members.

As well as people that can think for themselves and with ALL of the information available to them make an informed decision.

The IAFF is fighting to safeguard and protect paid, proffesional, full time fire fighters.
                  As they should. But to label EVERY volunteer or POC firefighter as a threat is just silly and if you would open your mind you would know that that is truth. It's simple to me...if you are a career firefighter you shouldn't volly into an FD with career firefighters. But to tell me the volly FD in my little village of 717 with it's annual budget of around $39K is a rival organization and I can't volly there is ridiculous. Believe me if they ever even talked about hiring full timers I would quit. But with the population, and budget, do tell how soon you believe that will happen.

If you are a Union Fire Fighter who is a is a paid on call or part timer on the side you are jepordizing your Boards ability to negotiate your contractual agreement.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on where you are at and if your city cares about it or not.

What you are saying is that on your full time firefighting job you want to make 30 dollars an hour but on your part time firefighting job you will take 7 dollars. Not to mention the danger you put yourself in if your hurt on your part time job.

And if you are like others here that will volunteer to train in volly houses you are hurting my second UNION job as an instructor...I think they should stop that. I think if you drive truck or lay tile or any other side job you shouldn;t do it unless you get paid the same amount as on the job. Why? Because with your logic if you will drive truck part-time for half of your firefighter pay you are jeopardizing your Union's ability to negotiate because obviously you will work for less.

And golly, it is only a danger to your full-time firefighting job if you get injured vollying and need time off to heal, not if you are roofing and fall off the roof, or driving truck and get in an accident, or get hurt at an other part-time job. This argument is baseless and silly. Your FD will pay sick time either way and YOU know it.

I can go on and on.

And still prove nothing unless you have a more valid argument than in this post.

Union firefighters be strong abide by your by-laws, unity is what makes us stong.

True and this issue is really one that eventually is going to get challenged in court and I don't believe for one second that the outcome will be what you expect.

Golly and even gee wilikers!! Didn't the UNION Safety and Health Committee in Chicago push for the full PPE? If so it appears that if you are a good Union man you should just fall in line and wear the gear and shut the hell up about it since the UNION supported it. SORRY CHICAGO FF, that was meant for this guy and not you. Remember I have already said I don't care what you wear.
                  Being able to think for yourself and not agree with EVERYTHING the Union says and does does not make you a bad Union Firefighter.

FyredUp
                  Crazy, but that's how it goes
                  Millions of people living as foes
                  Maybe it's not too late
                  To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by Tann3100
                    Well I definately do not agree with this type of activity and undersatnd where you are coming from. I would research my Local Constitution and By-Laws if it states in there that this type of activity is not allowed then I would bring them up on charges within the union if they have already been talked to about the situation. Just my opinion.
                    I'm still trying to figure something out. Exactly what "charges" and what punishment goes with these charges can the union bring someone up on?

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp
                      As they should. But to label EVERY volunteer or POC firefighter as a threat is just silly and if you would open your mind you would know that that is truth. It's simple to me...if you are a career firefighter you shouldn't volly into an FD with career firefighters. But to tell me the volly FD in my little village of 717 with it's annual budget of around $39K is a rival organization and I can't volly there is ridiculous. Believe me if they ever even talked about hiring full timers I would quit. But with the population, and budget, do tell how soon you believe that will happen.FyredUp
                      But how do you expect the IAFF to differentiate between an organization that is a threat and one that isn't? You can't really expect them to make judgement calls on every operation in the United States every time this issue comes up - it would be a nightmare of mickey mouse paperwork and endless manhours. Just banning it all is the only realistic solution - and lets face it, it's not that big a deal. If you are a career guy and are that desperate to volunteer - 1. Don't you get enough of the firehouse at your job? and 2. You knew this rule going in. If it was that big an issue, don't join the union. I realize that many would be looked down upon and despised for this action, but hey, they are the ones rocking the boat - they should be willing to live with the consequences. If it is a closed shop, then don't take the job. We can play the right or wrong game all day long, but the bottom line is - thats the rules, either abide by them or leave.
                      I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

When people are looking up "Ludacris" and "conflict of interest" a few of you may want to look up "hypocrite" as well.
                        RK
                        cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22
                          I'm still trying to figure something out. Exactly what "charges" and what punishment goes with these charges can the union bring someone up on?

Too much to post. I am on the e board in my local. The International covers all this.

Reference all info can be found in the International Constitution and By-Laws

Article XIII Section 20

Read article XV section 1 also section 3
                          IACOJ
                          FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by Tann3100
                            Too much to post. I am on the e board in my local. The International covers all this.

Reference all info can be found in the International Constitution and By-Laws

Article XIII Section 20

Read article XV section 1 also section 3
                            I don't suppose a guy could find that online somewhere? I have serious doubts our local has a copy and I'm off work for a few weeks, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22
                              I don't suppose a guy could find that online somewhere? I have serious doubts our local has a copy and I'm off work for a few weeks, anyway.
                              Hrmm all of your E board members should have a copy of it. I will try and find a online copy.

Here it is

http://www.iaff.org/homeindex/librar...Doc.asp?doc=10
                              Last edited by Tann3100; 11-13-2006, 12:54 AM.
                              IACOJ
                              FTM-PTB

Comment

Fyred up,

Just ss I stated before it is clueless people like you you like to sit around and pick apart comments based on your lack of a clear understanding on the issues that makes me reluctent to post,

Backing up union bothers and sisters is why I posted. Not to speek to a double dipper like you.

I am sure your Union Board just loves you.

You sit around accepting your union job and union benifits but God forbid you had to actualy had to do something for it.

You are a leech sucking off the blood of your local.

Why dont you quit because of beliefs?

Too much of a coward to stand alone.

Get a clue.

I am thankful to the IAFF and all its done for me and my family. I am also thankful to all those who have sacraficed for the fire service. For example to the Chicago firemen and all the other suburban departments who went on strike to secure our collective bargining rights. Many of them lost their jobs to secure our rights. How hard that must have been on their familes. I owe them a alot.

But I am sure fyred up feels that his little vollie side job is the most important thing to him, his rights and all. The rights others have gotten for him because Im sure he dosn't fight for anything himself, too busy working part time as a vollie.

If you do go bunker make sure you wear shorts under the bunker Chicago it helps a little with mobility.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X