Brother looking for some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garb40,
    You're a good man!!! I think there are more guys like you out there that see the big picture. They just don't voice it too often. See this isn't a volly/union bash. It's respecting each others perspective. Most union guys don't want to "take over" a volly house, just like most volly's don't want to "take over" a career house. Thank you for doing the right thing!!!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

• garb40,
      One other thing. - I came from a combo dept close to Waterbury.(Southington) We felt horrible with what the state did to those guys! What they lost they will never get back through bargaining. They cut their legs off! In my dept I started out as a volly than later become a career guy there. As a volly we had the utmost respect for the career guys. When I was a career guy we didn't forget where we came from and had alot of respect for the volly's. Don't get me wrong there was a tiff from time to time, but it was usualy no big deal and resolved quickly. I personaly got along real well with the volly's and did consider them my brothers. I think they felt the same way about me. I've since left that dept and went on to bigger places but I still keep in touch with the career guys as well as the volly's there. What dept are you with?
      Last edited by KeithA8; 12-08-2006, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• Keith, I understand what you are saying, but I do believe Fyredup has a real grasp on what is being said. Read Mike's post, he is correct on geographical differances. You are in Conneticut, it's probably a good bet your population density, and the need for more career departments, is much greater than my neighbor to the east.
        Every big argument here that has focused on vollie vs. career has involved easern US fire departments. Why is that? I believe it is because you have so many large vollie departments and many combo depts that have a large number of career guys ratting and allowing those departments to maintain. Here is where the union is worth their weight in gold.
        Now if you get ouside the metro area of the twin cities where I am at, there isn't many career departments. The population density just doesn't justify it. We have entire counties with less 8000 people. So it's a good bet that a guy that is two hatting in Cook county Minnesota, population 5100, is not keeping them from going career. I am sure Wisconsin isn't much different.
        Maybe all the sabre rattlers should focus their attention east, to the large departments there who have guys ratting work left and right. Especially those departments that have live in programs. But I'm sure the political pressure is to great and it's much easier to come out here to fly over land threaten us. So if the presumtive heart-lung clause disappears, don't look here for the few 2 hatters, look at east to the hundreds of 2 hatters, from some very large and very prominent departments.
        My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
        George Mason
        Co-author of the Second Amendment
        during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
        Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

• SPFDrum,
          Point taken. It doesn't matter where you are or what the circumstances are. The points I've made don't change. I am not that concerned about these guys keeping a dept volly or not because their impact is so minimal in a case like that. Without retyping my arguement I think you know what I'm talking about. Thay are still puting themselves and their local in a tough spot.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X