X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dashman
    My opinon is that you want to work in a town,You should live in the town
    or very close to it,I have seen to many times the attitude of screw it,
    I dont live here from both cops and firefighters.
    Go ahead and bash me if you must but I feel that you must have some
    pride and respect for the people that are paying you,Not just being there to
    collect a paycheck.

rant off sitting in the corner waiting for the beating.
    I live roughly 5 counties away from the city I protect as a firefighter. Why? Because I can. Whose business is it where I live? Mine. My FD has NO residency and cares only about you being there when your shift begins.

There is a huge fallacy in your attitude. You assume that I or anyone else must be a resident in order to care for the citizens we serve. Perhaps you need that motivation of them being your neighbors in order to find a reason to care. I do not. When I am on duty I give the citizens of the city I protect 100%. Being a resident of that city or not has no effect on my dedication to duty.

Residency is an archaic rule that does nothing more than make you pay taxes back to the city to help pay your own wages.

FyredUp
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by Dashman
      My opinon is that you want to work in a town,You should live in the town
      or very close to it,I have seen to many times the attitude of screw it,
      I dont live here from both cops and firefighters.
      Go ahead and bash me if you must but I feel that you must have some
      pride and respect for the people that are paying you,Not just being there to
      collect a paycheck.

rant off sitting in the corner waiting for the beating.
      You are a goof. 1. They don't pay us enough to make living here, in a decent neighborhood, affordable 2. They are paying me to do a job, not have a cheery *** attitude. 3. The "people that are paying me" don't live anywhere near my still district. 4. I am there to collect a check - it's a job, remember?!? I'm stuck with residency and I knew the rules when I signed on so I'll continue paying several thousand dollars a month to live in a less than desireable neighborhood, but don't try to tell me to like it or that it's right. Jagoff.
      Last edited by ChicagoFF; 11-09-2006, 09:45 PM.
      I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

In Boston, the residency requirement was a political tool for the Mayor to win more votes back in 1994. Times were tough; city government was (as it still is) incompetent, crime was out of control, etc. The Mayor felt that by requiring city workers to live within city limits he would get better quality residents.

Members of the Union settled a contract by agreeing to residency for any additional hires. Of course single family homes in nice neighborhoods were only $150,000 at the time. Now they're $450,000. Also, we have some of the highest auto insurance rates in the country.

Lastly, there are no guarantees as to where you children go to school. You can live in a nice neighborhood like West Roxbury, or St. Brendan's in Dorchester, only to have your children bused out to other neighborhoods, while others are bused in for diversity reasons. To top it off, students of African American and Hispanic descent are entitled to the Metco program and can be bused to some of the wealthier suburbs, to bring diversity into those neighborhoods as well. Note: I don't fault any parents for taking advantage of the Metco program, I just don't believe its fair or appropriate. Anyway, we're really stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Out of 1,500 members we now have at least 500 covered by residency, so we're gaining momentum. My guess is eventually we'll settle for smaller raises, or something to that extent in order to get out of it. It may take 5 or 10 years and might create some hostility but it will happen.

Comment

The funny thing is, most people who support residency policies are those who don't live under one, and those that do don't have big-city, high-crime issues to deal with, like whether their kids will be safe in school, or whether their teacher will be sexually assaulted in front of them.

Comment

jasper....just step across the border and apply....

Residency is nothing more than a way for the admin and the mayor to put their thumbs on the forehead of the firefighters OR other city workers and control them. Nothing more, nothing less.

FyredUp
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

D#mn $100,000 for a mobile home!...........Won't find many mullets there! I actually had a patient on the squad ask me one day if I was a "local boy" or an "outsider"......I said local...cause I was....and they said good, they didn't want any "out of towner" touching them. Crazy!

Comment

Residency Requirements

Our residency requirements over time became obsolete. When I first started in my department all members had to live within the local phone calling area. Eventually this requirement was eased somewhat. There was still a residency requirement but if you lived outside the local calling area then you had to sign an agreement that would accept long distance charges from the employer. This was before cell phones became the norm for every member. Now we do not have any residency requirements. The main county where my department is located is in the top three counties of the state as far as property taxes and vehicle/home insurance rates are concerned. So many firefighters choose to live in bordering counties to save money. I am not completely sure, but I think that the Chief of Department must still live within the city limits as well as all department heads of the municipality.

Comment

Our dept has them but you have to live within 30 mins from a station... I'll say half of dept lives outside the city limits and the other half live within the city... Overall it's better here to live within as where a Twin city with Texas and to keep it equal you don't have to pay State taxes on Payroll... I'm outside the city and state taxes hit me for avg. of 200.00 per month...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X