Recruits in the Union?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruits in the Union?

I have a question that has been circulating around several departments that I have worked for.

Should recruits (in the academy) be offered a chance to join the union?
    If no, when?
    If yes, when (beginning, middle, end of academy)?

Thanks...
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

While I am not in/on a union. I would think recruits would need to wait until they are on? Meaning, they have been assigned. And maybe even through their probation period?

Comment

Originally posted by Kobersteen
      I have a question that has been circulating around several departments that I have worked for.

Should recruits (in the academy) be offered a chance to join the union?
      If no, when?
      If yes, when (beginning, middle, end of academy)?

Thanks...
      I'm a little confused...once you take your oath of office you are a member of the department and join the union (although you are on probation for a year and don't enjoy the same rights and job securty as a member off probation)

You don't join the union until after your probie school?

I don't remember when the Union offical came to us but I recall it was in the first week.

FTM-PTB

Comment

We take the oath, and are sworn into the Local during our first day of recruit school, and we all pay dues right away.
        We also had an extensive presentation from a member of our E-board to explain the Local, the IAFF, grievance policies, member rights and responsibilities, and answers to any questions we had.
        Last edited by jasper45; 10-06-2006, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Almost ditto to Brothers Jasper and FFFred.

New Hires are voted into the Local at our monthly union meeting.

They have a 1 year probationary period, as as FFFred stated, they don't have the same protections and such until they reach their 1st anniversary of their date of hire. In my 25 years, we have only lost 2 firefighters during their probie year. One lost his driver's license ( job requirement) due to DWI and didn't tell anyone, the other took a short leave of absence for what he said was a "family problem" back in Jamaica, then requested a year, which was turned down. He never returned to duty.
          Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-07-2006, 12:34 AM. Reason: spelling error.. man, I hate that!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

K, across the river, L36 comes in during the first week, but as mentioned, you don't have much protection. And, of course, while you pay the same dues as everyone, no one listens to new guys.

Of course, VA is right-to-work.

Comment

Getting a paycheck? You have the right to be represented by the bargaining unit. Period.

(Now.....You also have the right to a probationary period in the union as well.....And all the accompanying requirements such as keeping thy yap shut, etc.....)
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

We used to wait until ours were off probation. We've since reduced that and now they can join upon successful completion of the academy. We do also meet with them in the academy to tell them about our Local and when and how to join.

We are not recognized and in a right to work state here.
                FTM-PTB-RFB
                IACOJ

Comment

Okay, a couple of you have said something along the lines of 'reduced protection'. How so?
                  Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

During the first year, you're on probation with the city, and can be fired at will. There's not much the Union can do for you. Don't know how it works in VA.

Comment

Our probationary firefighters also become union members. They should be paying dues to support the contract that they are benefitting from. Here in Illinois, probationary firefighters can get fired within the first year and basically do not have recourse. Cities aren't stupid. They spent a lot of money to get this person hired. There is always a good reason if a probie gets canned. The Union will fight it if this not the case. It is common practice for probationary members to join the local in this area. The city begins payroll dues deduction immediately, unless the probationary firefighter decides to go fair share. That dosent happen around here.
                      IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Comment

On date of hire our recruits draw for seniority and are welcomed into the union. Officially they are sworn in at the first union meeting they attend
                        A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

Originally posted by SBrooks
                          During the first year, you're on probation with the city, and can be fired at will. There's not much the Union can do for you. Don't know how it works in VA.

Same here. You start paying dues the day after your 1 year hire date. Don't recall anyone being let go inside thier year. City has put too much money in them.

L495

Comment

How my Departments do it.....

Both of my Departments views are that once you are off probation, then you are no longer an At-will employee and are welcomed into the Union.
                            "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Comment

In Canada any union local which accepts union dues from an employee has a "duty of fair representation"
                              A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X