Probies getting overtime.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probies getting overtime.

How many departments give there probationary firefighters over time? I was in a discussion with some union members who have different opinions on this issue. Some feel that probies shouldnt get OT. some feel they should be picked last, and some think they shouldnt be offered any at all. There isn't very much OT. offered in my dept, therefore it is coveted. Lets have your opinions on this.

Im my dept the probies get all the overtime, unless they are unavaliable. The reason for this, SC is a right to work state, no union say here, and probies are cheaper. So thats how it works here, is it good, it is if you are a probie.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Comment

The way I see it, until I was passed off by the department to ride the Engine, Truck and Ambulance and also drive the ambulance, I wasn't going to put in for OT. That is one good way to get on a shifts bad side quick.

"Okay Rook, drive the ambulance."
      "uhh... I'm not passed off to drive."
      "Allright, ride as charge on the box."
      "I can't do that either."
      "Can you ride the truck?"
      "Umm... no. All I have done is ride the bucket of the engine."

It doesn't seem to bother other rookies, but it stopped me.
      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Our probies are allowed to get overtime same as everyone else. We have work details fairly regularly as we have minimum staffing requirements. Usually the older ff's will pass on anything less than 24 hrs leaving plenty for the newbies.

Besides, how can probies get any experience if they aren't allowed to work?
        ullrichk
        a.k.a.
        perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

It's really pretty simple. If the contract doesn't exclude them from overtime they get it, if it does they don't.

By the way, I am one of those guys that never works overtime. I prefer the time off over the 1 or 2 days a year I might get. I know, I know that makes me unusual but so be it.

FyredUp
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

In our department while on probation you're not in the rotation for regular overtime, like when we need to add someone to meet minimum staffing or a special event crew (usually for fireworks displays).

However, you are eligible for overtime if your shift is recalled while off-duty. We're a small department so all shifts are usually recalled for most structure fires and usually one shift for station coverage if we have a river rescue call.
            Mark
            Firefighter / Paramedic
            IAFF Local 10

Comment

Here in New York a probie is not suppose to be eligible for MMOT for 6 months. But some of the probies first tours have been MMOT.
              Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 11-04-2003, 07:27 PM.
              ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
              NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
              CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
              LT. John Ginley Engine 40
              FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
              FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
              FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
              FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
              FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
              FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
              FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
              FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
              "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
              *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Comment

Old local (20 guys)- no OT for you, probie!
                New local (1500 guys)- Mandatory OT for you, probie!

Comment

The problem with not allowing probies to work OT is that when no one takes the OT and you mandatory somebody, the probie goes home while a guy with years on the job has to stay. Doesn't seem quite right.
                  "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Comment

Our dept has an "orientation" period when probies are checked off on basic stuff, such as driving, using our SCBA, using our radios, etc.. This orientation generally lasts for a month and the probies are on a 40hr work week at that time. During that period they cannot work overtime, as they don't count for manpower.

After the orientation, they are still on probation for a year from the time they count as manpower, and they can work overtime whenever their name is up on the list.

Probationary here mostly means that you can be fired without cause and without recourse. Does that mean we would allow two probies on a medic together alone, no probably not, but they can work overtime and can ride in charge of the medic with a senior guy. They cannot ride in charge on the engine though..

Comment

Where to start? On my department the Union keeps and maintains the OT list. A few chiefs ago the chief handled a problem that arose (somebody got skipped or something) by telling the union that if they knew so much, they could run the OT list. Well, 3 chiefs and a couple of interrim chiefs later, we're still running it.

Once a probie is cleared for Minimum Staffing he's added to the bottom of the OT list - whoever has the most hours accumulated, plus one. Any OT that gets to him, he can take it. Interestingly, a probie is not elligible for holiday pay until he's been on the department for a minimum of 6 months, but can be on Minimum Staffing and get OT sooner than that, if he's already had his recruit school training and so on. And a probie can get OT as a result of a holdover on his first day, if he's on a call that runs past shift change.
                      E-4-A
                      IAFF 1176

Comment

In my Dept everyone on shift is approved for OT. A list is kept downtown and we are called in order. If you pass on the OT then you have to wait until they have gone through the list again and get back to you. We are usually only offered 12hr. shifts at a time. At about 300 bucks a pop not too many guys pass on OT.

My next 2 OT's will buy me a spankin' new N6A.. I got approval from the Chief (wife)... LOL
                        http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
                        Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Comment

My department offers OT to Probies. Our OT is on a rotation so when your name comes up it is your choice to take it or leave it.

Comment

We have to wait until 4 months of Probation have gone by to be eligible for OT. After that our OT is mandatory so you either work it when your turn is up or try to get someone else to take it for you.
                            Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Comment

Our probies have to wait 6 months to work OT's. But get a load of this Bravo Sierra, They have recently promoted two guys to Engineer before thier 6th month on the job!! I just don't undrstand.
                              IAFF

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X