Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Vacation scheduling policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation scheduling policy

My department has set up a committee to look into the scheduling of vacation time. Currently, it is all scheduled at one time by seniority. We are looking into possibly scheduling 1/2 the days at one time and then the other 1/2 after the entire department has had a chance to schedule some time. We have approximately 105 FF's, 33 or so per shift. The dept. only allows 4 FF's off per shift. It will be about 10 years before any significant retirements and we are not hiring very many either. We are trying to find out how other departments handle this issue.

Thanks,
    Chuck

We pick ours by seniority. Minimum pick is 72 continuous hours and max pick is 156 continuous hours for the first choice. You are allowed to make second choices for more time off, but second choice picks are not granted until all members are scheduled for their first picks. We allow 5 - 24 hour slots per battalion off per day.

Comment

We have a little over 200 people on 4 24 hour shifts. Our Dept shedules 4- 3 week holiday periods starting in June and ending in Sept a fifth during the Xmas season, all vaction goes by seniority once you choose your holiday slot, all remaining slots go by a first come first serve basis. It works out fairly well.
      Last edited by Smoke286; 10-03-2002, 04:21 PM.

Comment

We post our vacation times on a first come, first serve basis. name goes on the vacation calendar with the date it was posted. Someone posting a day can be bumped by a firefighter with higher seniority within seven days. After seven days, the date (or dates) is/are locked in.

We can take vacation days a half tour at a time. This is great if you have to attend a school function for your kids, their sports games, etc.

We can take as many tours of vacation in a row as we want, as long as we are within the number of tours alloted by virtue of one's time on the job. For example, I have 21 years on, I get 20 tours of duty as vacation per year (we work 10's and 14's with 4 days off).

We are allowed to have a maximum of 6 firefighters and 2 officers out on vacation or personal days at a time.
        Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-04-2002, 08:19 AM.
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I am with a department about the same size as yours. With a roster of 100. We work a 3 day with 4 off week.
          WORK. OFF. WORK. OFF. WORK. OFF. OFF. OFF. OFF.
          At the beginning of the year, vacation and holidays are scheduled by senority. You can schedule one week of vacation at a time, then it goes down to the next person, and so on. After vacations comes holiday time. This is done the same way, you can schedule 24 hours at a time either taking a 24 hour shift, or you can take 12 one day,(either day or night, whatever you want) then schedule another 12. Then it goes to the next guy, and so on. This is done all the way up to July. In July, the second part of the years vacation and holidays start start again just like before. This seems to work well.Hope this helps.
          IAFF Local 2270

Comment

We all sit down in december and schedule our "primary vacation". It has to be 2-5 shifts. this is done on time served, which means if a 20 year capt. and a 17 year batt. chief want the same day, the capt would get it since he has more time in the dept. After primary vacations are posted, the rest of the year is on a first come first served basis regardless of rank or time served. We can only schedule our vac. time in 12 or 24 hour blocks. The dept has 3 stations with 17 per shift. min. staffing of 13 per shift. We work the 24/48 schedule with a 24 hour kelly day every ninth shift (28 days).
            Proud member IACOJ

Comment

We select our vacations according to shift. We gather in Dec. and select the tours we want to take. We are allowed to have 3 personnel out at a time and only 2 weeks consecutive for each person. And if you take vacation from June to August, any holiday weekend you aren't allowed to cancel it, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years included.
              If you don't take any tours, you can "bank" them and use them throughout the year whenever you want, provided there is no one out.
              "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
              Chief 1899-1911
              Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Comment

we have some 800 members and we do it pretty much the same, we're picking right now for the year 2003, goes by senority, vacations first-then 3 rounds of 4 to pick holidays and off days.
                works great , in a couple weeks i'll know every day i'm scheduled to work till 12-31-03. unless your low on the pole and you get stuck with whats left

Comment

I worked at a department where vacation was scheduled quarterly by shift.

Before the beginning of each quarter, each member picked one "slot" in order of seniority - each "slot" could be any number of shifts (from one to all you had), but there could be no breaks between shifts off. After a pass through the roster, the each member could put in for another "slot", again in order of seniority, until everyone had submitted for all the time they wanted. (We were allowed to carry over vacation from year to year.)

After everyone had their desired "slots" picked, the calendar was declared open on a first-come first-served basis (subject, of course, to minimum staffing).

This worked well for us because the senior man always got his first choice, but the junior members got more than just "leftovers."
                  ullrichk
                  a.k.a.
                  perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Comment

My department has three shifts with about 100 personnel on duty each day. Several years ago, the various ranks were divided up into groups. The groups have at least 3 personnel in them and as many as six. Each of these groups rotates in the annual leave selection. The personnel within each group also rotate.

How the members of the department were divided into the groups is still a mystery to me. At the present, when a member retires, the person promoted into that position now acquires the vacated leave selection position.

Example:
                    2003 2004 2005

K B G
                    L C E
                    J A F

A F J
                    B G K
                    C E L

E L A
                    F J B
                    G K C

We are guaranteed 6 continous shifts and may take a maximum of 9 shifts. First pick of leave is up to 9 shifts. If you do not take the full 9 shifts, second pick is available after all first pick is selected. Second pick is selected in reverse order of first pick.

This process is not as simple as seniority or first come - first served but it does allow us to have choice summer leave every few years.

In the above example, my selection is the L slot. For 2003, I had second pick. If I remain at my present rank, I'll have first pick in 2006.
                    Last edited by jsdobson; 11-04-2002, 12:25 AM.
                    BE SAFE
                    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...