Probationary Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probationary Process

I’m writing this to get a feel for other department’s probationary processes. My department has about 420 firefighters. 16 engines, 4 trucks, 3 battalions. 3 person engine companies. We have a 6 month fire/emt academy. After academy the probationaries come out and spend 30 shifts on an engine split between 2 engines, so 15 shifts per engine. They rove out the assigned firefighter during this time. Right now we are constantly hiring back to back classes. It is getting to the point where the assigned firefighter rarely gets to work in their spot. Something has to change. So I want to know what everyone else does.

What is your department’s probationary process?

How many stations there?? 10?

Sounds like need to move the new hires around to other stations??? about three months, split up al little more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Has this been talked about with the Chief????
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

We have 16 stations with engines. It has been talked about with the Chief. The chief is always open to ideas. The idea a few of us are currently working on is to have them rove for 2 months in each battalion. Roving firefighters out on more of an as needed basis. Would take a lot of stress off the crews and allow the probies to see more of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by Harborite88 View Post
          I’m writing this to get a feel for other department’s probationary processes. My department has about 420 firefighters. 16 engines, 4 trucks, 3 battalions. 3 person engine companies. We have a 6 month fire/emt academy. After academy the probationaries come out and spend 30 shifts on an engine split between 2 engines, so 15 shifts per engine. They rove out the assigned firefighter during this time. Right now we are constantly hiring back to back classes. It is getting to the point where the assigned firefighter rarely gets to work in their spot. Something has to change. So I want to know what everyone else does.

What is your department’s probationary process?
          Tacoma Fire Dept?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X