Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for someone just fired while on Probation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for someone just fired while on Probation.

Hey Guys,

I could really use some advice:

Long story short, I was just let go just before my one year test. I wasn't given a reason (they don't have to tell you) but I'm pretty sure it was because my skill weren't where they were supposed to be. So now I'm back in the saddle looking for what comes next.

Here's where I could use some REAL advice:

1. Does being fired leave a black mark on my resume? How can I fix it if it looks bad?
    2. What's the best way to approach the subject if/when they ask in an interview?
    3. I'm looking into taking a break from the fire service and focusing on finishing out my degree. Is it better to get a low paying EMS or Wildland job right away instead? or does it look better on a resume to finish out a degree in 4 months?
    4. Is it going to look bad to have a gap in my employment for those 4 months? Will it make me look stale and my skills rusty?
    5. Going off the earlier question, how long of a gap is TOO long of a gap?

I learned a lot over the last year. I'm pretty bummed about how it all went down, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

DEPENDS

1. Does being fired leave a black mark on my resume? How can I fix it if it looks bad?

Not really,

You do not say if you think it is on the medical side or firefighting side.

It seems like they would be telling you your shirt comings at some point, so you can work on them.

Some depts do have certain standards they want people to meet, which may be higher than others.

2. What's the best way to approach the subject if/when they ask in an interview?

Have a good TRUE story, to include what you have done since to improve.

Can you talk to people on the line, they should have heard something.

3. I'm looking into taking a break from the fire service and focusing on finishing out my degree. Is it better to get a low paying EMS or Wildland job right away instead? or does it look better on a resume to finish out a degree in 4 months?

Dre here in what???

4. Is it going to look bad to have a gap in my employment for those 4 months? Will it make me look stale and my skills rusty?

No, cannot answer on the medic side.

5. Going off the earlier question, how long of a gap is TOO long of a gap?

I would say around six months.

Do you have certs you have to maintain???

Is this your first paid Dept?? Any other fire service?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

It wasn’t for the EMS stuff I was let go. It was most likely for FF tasks.

True about different standard levels for different departments. It was a full time paid department. I’ve heard they have pretty high standards but since it was my first department, I couldn’t say where they fell.

Comment

Originally posted by Calimelia View Post
        It wasn’t for the EMS stuff I was let go. It was most likely for FF tasks.

True about different standard levels for different departments. It was a full time paid department. I’ve heard they have pretty high standards but since it was my first department, I couldn’t say where they fell.

Go forth and apply,,, anywhere and everywhere

Just have a good explanation and practice it.

More than likely they will talk to the past dept

Maybe get on a volunteer dept
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse