SCBA Neck Straps and NFPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCBA Neck Straps and NFPA

Someone in my department has recently told me that my neck strap for my scott scba mask is not authorized, and is illegal under an NFPA regulation that he couldn't cite. From my research I can't find anything that says it's unauthorized. Does anyone know something I don't? Thanks in advance!

If the neck strap came from Scott ask yourself this question...Would they, as the manufacturer, offer a part that was not NFPA compliant?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

The strap itself didn't come from Scott. I could argue that point until the cows come home!

Comment

The NFPA police aren't going to arrest you for having a strap on your mask. The argument could be made that it's an unauthorized modification of issued equipment; NFPA has nothing to do with that, it's department specific.

As a general rule, modifying equipment can violate the NFPA sticker; however, I don't see how adding a neck strap is an actual modification, provided you haven't actually modified the mask itself, and the strap can be removed and the mask integrity is still intact.

The real question I would ask is if this issue that a fight that is really worth fighting?
        If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Fight worthiness or not, misinformation is misinformation.

Comment

Well since I'm seeing them still listed for sale, (SCOTT Kevlar Neck Strap 804088-02 / 804088-01)

and the person claiming they're against NFPA regs, but can't cite the reg, I'd call BS.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X