Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Drinking and driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking and driving

I just wanted to reach out to all my former brothers and sisters out there. I sit here thinking about what could have been and what I lost. I don't want sympathy at all for this post. If anything I hope this reaches 1 or any to help them avoid mistakes I've made.
    Think before getting behind the wheel. I worked so hard to land my dream job and it took less than 7 months for me to throw everything away. I have battled alcoholism in secret for many years but was able to maintain a clean record and land a job. I'm not a bad person one hell of a firefighter but I make horrible decisions. I thought I had it figured out. I thought I could avoid the nasty **** after landing the job. But I didn't. I tried it on my own and failed.
    I'm to old to try again and the dream is gone. Young, old, senior, private... Please talk to someone if you have a problem or you even have the smallest idea you might. You are surrounded by many who love you and will lift you up. Don't look for help after your in trouble. It's not worth it. Stay safe out there everyone and keep protecting your communities.

GCFD, thanks for posting this. I know it wasn't easy to post, much less live through. Good luck with whatever life may bring you in the future, and as you said, don't be afraid to reach out when you need the help.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

THANK YOU BoxAlarm187 and fire5555.

Good to hear you have a plan for enjoying responsibly. I know my age and being truly honest about my addiction has and will create a much harder road for me to land another job. At my age I don't expect another shot in the fire service and I will have to learn to accept that. But I can not give up on this opportunity to accept I have a problem. I don't know all the answers and I determined to understand the reasons I have failed. I can say I have discovered this is bigger than I am and must face it head on. I know many of the 60+ people who have viewed this post are reading it saying "this guy is an idiot who should have never gotten a chance at all" and based on my current actions I can't argue otherwise. But I can't explain the urge to drink to someone who hasn't been in the position I'm in. There is a difference in getting a DUI and getting off with a slap on the wrist and being forced to face your demons. My hope is that I will learn to forgive myself and build off this eye opening experience. There is no shame in talking to EAP and its confidential. My situation is obviously no secret and again all I'm trying to do is bring awareness to those who might be able to use it for a better outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by GCFD142 View Post
        THANK YOU BoxAlarm187 and fire5555.

Good to hear you have a plan for enjoying responsibly. I know my age and being truly honest about my addiction has and will create a much harder road for me to land another job. At my age I don't expect another shot in the fire service and I will have to learn to accept that. But I can not give up on this opportunity to accept I have a problem. I don't know all the answers and I determined to understand the reasons I have failed. I can say I have discovered this is bigger than I am and must face it head on. I know many of the 60+ people who have viewed this post are reading it saying "this guy is an idiot who should have never gotten a chance at all" and based on my current actions I can't argue otherwise. But I can't explain the urge to drink to someone who hasn't been in the position I'm in. There is a difference in getting a DUI and getting off with a slap on the wrist and being forced to face your demons. My hope is that I will learn to forgive myself and build off this eye opening experience. There is no shame in talking to EAP and its confidential. My situation is obviously no secret and again all I'm trying to do is bring awareness to those who might be able to use it for a better outcome.
        Thank you for posting this. It took true courage on your part to do so. I lost a Brother to alcoholism, and I have seen careers in the fire service ruined by alcoholism. It is an insidious disease that many can hide for a long while until either a single incident exposes it or the alcohol takes over 100% and there is no hiding it anymore. Many believe they can handle it and no one will know they have the problem, or that they can quit on their own. I honestly believe it is as hard as heroin to kick. I saw my Brother battle and then surrender to it numerous times before he committed suicide.

I wish you the best of luck in your struggle. Admitting the problem is the first step to getting help and you are there. Stay strong and you can win this battle, turn things around and enjoy the rest of your life. Good luck.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I lost my dad to alcohol and cigs. Even the best of us make mistakes, and it's really hard to own them sometimes. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Never too late to turn it around. Stay strong.

Comment

Thank you all for the support. It hard and I have had a couple times already I was face to face with former members. It's hard to stand tall and accept this but I know my priorities have to be in the right place and I must have the desire to quit for myself. This is my rockbottom but I won't give up hope that I can find happiness again with my loved ones. I won't move away from my home and I hope to one day be able to use my story to prevent other people in the field from letting the addiction consume them too. Alcoholism isn't widely understood as a disease but I'm shocked how much I've learned during this recovery journey I'm on. The most important thing I can share is my early warning signs and total denial and let others figure it out for themselves. The job wasn't enough for me to stay sober but I know it could have been if I had educated myself a little more. Stay safe everyone.

Comment

Powerful post my man. It truly sucks to hear this from someone - we all know the road it takes to get here. Hopefully this will be heard loud and clear by all out there. Best of luck in the future.

Comment

Well it's been over a year and I'm happy to share I have had much success in life so far. Happier, healthier and I have found peace. I landed a job within the fire service "field" and I am shocked at how much I continue to learn each day. I share my story regularly with individuals seeking help in an anonymous setting and I'm happy to do so.
                  My goal with this forum from day one has been to bring awareness to my situation and hopefully help just one person who has read it. Preaching doesn't work but having a willing participant to listen to those in need is sometimes all it takes.
                  This is a stressful job and I know my mental health just as important as my physical health.
                  If anyone would like to know more about my situation and my story let me know if you think it might help you or someone you love. PM ME. Im just here to help and or listen to anyone who needs it.
                  Stay safe everyone

Comment

My grandfather was a sober alcoholic the last 25 years of his life. He and I chatted about the grip the alcohol had on him numerous times.

I express my sincerest hope you do well in your recovery.
                    They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X