X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jasper 45
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Has this actually happened that you (or anyone for that matter) are aware of?
    I have never heard of it, personally. However, if you look at the current economic climate that exists, is it really out of reach? Look at the fight that has ensued about providing the 9/11 responders...

If a city is able to save money and they can divert their financial obligation away, they will.
    Also, while I have never seen an issue over heart/lung/presumptive cancer, I have seen the city fight injuries that occurred in the line-of-duty, that should have been a no-brainer for duty-disability.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    A career firefighter who contracts a covered form of cancer for example and has also been serving as a volunteer firefighter could find themselves stuck in a battle over which department's WC insurance is going to cover the illness or how much each will cover.

A career firefighter who contracts the same covered form of cancer and works off-duty as a carpenter will not be in the same situation. Their FD employer would cover the illness.

As such, the ability to have someone else, at minimum, share the financial impact of an occupational illness would be a welcome situation for the employer and not having any question over who will cover the illness would be a preferable situation for the employee.
    I'll admit that we are straying into territory I don't have any informed knowledge of, so accept my question as it is...

Has this actually happened that you (or anyone for that matter) are aware of?

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    So, do you take the same position for those guys working off duty as carpenters?
    Not the same issue. I was commenting specifically on the potential impact that being a volunteer firefighter could have in regards to a covered occupational illness.

A career firefighter who contracts a covered form of cancer for example and has also been serving as a volunteer firefighter could find themselves stuck in a battle over which department's WC insurance is going to cover the illness or how much each will cover.

A career firefighter who contracts the same covered form of cancer and works off-duty as a carpenter will not be in the same situation. Their FD employer would cover the illness.

As such, the ability to have someone else, at minimum, share the financial impact of an occupational illness would be a welcome situation for the employer and not having any question over who will cover the illness would be a preferable situation for the employee.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So please explain to me how a VFD is a rival organization again?
    It's already been explained to you on more than one occasion in other threads.

Leave a comment:

• skylarmorris89
    replied
    Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
    It was obvious to all but the least amongst us. Won't mention any names of course.
    I'm not saying the fourm was a prank, I really had an issue with the Union telling me I couldn't volunteer, but it turned out the letter I was sent was a prank by another fire fighter!

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    The union would want it's members to not volunteer in order to avoid the possibility of having this debate should an illness occur.
    So, do you take the same position for those guys working off duty as carpenters?

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    The Union shouldn't -- and doesn't -- "ban" any side jobs. It just prohibits belonging to rival organizations. No more; no less. It isn't an unreasonable thing to ask.
    So please explain to me how a VFD is a rival organization again?

Leave a comment:

• scfire86
    replied
    Originally posted by skylarmorris89 View Post
    Okay, so I want to thank you everyone for you different reason's and advice. Turns out this was a (Prank), and has been dealt with accordingly. (Chainsaw Wake-Up Call)
    It was obvious to all but the least amongst us. Won't mention any names of course.

Leave a comment:

• skylarmorris89
    replied
    Okay, so I want to thank you everyone for you different reason's and advice. Turns out this was a (Prank), and has been dealt with accordingly. (Chainsaw Wake-Up Call)
    I'm sorry I stirred up a bunch of bull****... I'm new to this place I don't know all the issues this forum has.
    I do want to add something though. Be you paid, or volunteer. Your taking the coat to protect. The citizens of the world don't care if your paid or volunteering. All they care about is there house, and all the stuff that's being destroyed in the fire. So with that said, have a wonderful life.
    btw, this is 2011, yes firefighters die, so don't be another statistic get in shape so you don't die before you get to the fire. Be safe

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    Seems like a reason the employer would want to stop you from volunteering, not the union.
    I think you have that backwards.

The ability to cast doubt on the causation and/or to share the burden for a job-related illness would be a reason the employer would actually want you to volunteer.

The union would want it's members to not volunteer in order to avoid the possibility of having this debate should an illness occur.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Please read the entire thread next time.
    I did, thank you, and added a simpler response to the same idiotic straw-man arguments that you were responding to.

Slow your burn, Chief.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    The Union shouldn't -- and doesn't -- "ban" any side jobs. It just prohibits belonging to rival organizations. No more; no less. It isn't an unreasonable thing to ask.
    I was responding to the rationale that it is a good idea to ban off duty career from volunteering because it would make them more fatigued, thereby affecting their performance in their career position.

Please read the entire thread next time.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    So, the Union should really ban ALL off duty activities and side jobs. Is that the case?

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by FIRE117 View Post
    Here are two reasons why volunteering by union firefighters is frowned upon:

1. When you are volunteering at a volunteer fire department (VFD), you are subjecting yourself to the same hazards (smoke, heat, bloodborne pathogens, hazardous chemicals, etc.) that you are exposed to at your career fire department (CFD).

If you incur medical problems (cancer, etc.) that may result in you needing disability, early retirement or other off-duty compensation, the CFD will most offer these benefits, not the VFD. Why should the CFD pay for these benefits, when you may have been exposed wholly or partially to the hazards at the VFD? Since you are a career firefighter, it would be assumed that you were exposed to these injuries, conditions, etc. while career firefighting, when in fact you where wholly or partly exposed while conducting duty with the VFD?
    Seems like a reason the employer would want to stop you from volunteering, not the union.

2. Another reason, is the rest issue. When you get off-duty at a CFD, you may be extremely tired from all the activities (calls, training, etc.) that occured on your shift.
    When you get off shift, you are expected to rest up prior to your next shift. If you go to volunteering, you do not get that rest and come back on-duty at a career station being tired. You are expected to report to the CFD healthy, fit and ready to perform duty. If you were spending your off duty days volunteer firefighting, etc, you did not get that needed rest. Your CFD pays you to be duty ready to accomplish the firefighting, rescue and EMS duties that are to occur on your shift. When you are exhausted when reporting to your career department because of volunteering, then you are not ready to perform duty. If you call in sick or take vacation days, because you were exausted from volunteering, this affects the manpower capability of your CFD.

I hope this sheds some light on why career firefighters are discouraged from volunteering with VFD's.
    So, the Union should really ban ALL off duty activities and side jobs. Is that the case?

Leave a comment:

• FIRE117
    replied
    Here are two reasons why volunteering by union firefighters is frowned upon:

1. When you are volunteering at a volunteer fire department (VFD), you are subjecting
    yourself to the same hazards (smoke, heat, bloodborne pathogens, hazardous
    chemicals, etc.) that you are exposed to at your career fire department (CFD).

If you incur medical problems (cancer, etc.) that may result in you needing disability,
    early retirement or other off-duty compensation, the CFD will most offer these benefits,
    not the VFD. Why should the CFD pay for these benefits, when you may have been
    exposed wholly or partially to the hazards at the VFD? Since you are a career
    firefighter, it would be assumed that you were exposed to these injuries, conditions,
    etc. while career firefighting, when in fact you where wholly or partly exposed while
    conducting duty with the VFD?

2. Another reason, is the rest issue. When you get off-duty at a CFD, you may be
    extremely tired from all the activities (calls, training, etc.) that occured on your shift.
    When you get off shift, you are expected to rest up prior to your next shift. If you go
    to volunteering, you do not get that rest and come back on-duty at a career station
    being tired. You are expected to report to the CFD healthy, fit and ready to perform
    duty. If you were spending your off duty days volunteer firefighting, etc, you did not
    get that needed rest. Your CFD pays you to be duty ready to accomplish the
    firefighting, rescue and EMS duties that are to occur on your shift. When you are
    exhausted when reporting to your career department because of volunteering, then you
    are not ready to perform duty. If you call in sick or take vacation days, because you
    were exausted from volunteering, this affects the manpower capability of your CFD.

I hope this sheds some light on why career firefighters are discouraged from volunteering with VFD's.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X